Minor/Repaint: Shattered Glass Vector Prime

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by slackerforhire, Jun 27, 2012.

1. slackerforhire

slackerforhire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have my own backstory for this guy's existence, but I'll also be the first to admit that I haven't followed the Shattered Glass storyline that closely, so the backstory in my head may not completely jive with the FunPub's "official" storyline. (I don't think Vector Prime has an existing deco for SG, but I could be wrong. If I am, I blame Google.)

The one thing I do know is that the SG universe has made for some awesome looking figures. Unfortunately, I got into SG a little late, and really can't justify the prices the earlier SG figures are currently going for. So, while my heroic Decepticons have a good-looking team, my evil Autobots ranks look a little... puny. They needed bruiser. They needed someone to give their group a little mor "oompf". They needed one of my favorite molds.

Vector Prime.

This started out as an incomplete Cybertron Vector Prime I got for dirt cheap. I already had this figure, but my love of this mold got the better of me, and I bought it. Once I had it, I had to figure out what to do with it. After attempting a few poorly conceived digibashes, I said, "what the hell" and just inversed the colors, and BAM. I was set.

He is completely hand-painted with acryllics. While I think I'm getting better with a brush, I'm certainly not getting any better with a camera. Everything I did seems to be fairly well represented in the pics, but what may not be clear is that the red in the face, shoulder pads, and chest center are all a metallic red, which really looks great in person (if I do say so myself).

Anyway, enough with the ramblings. Let's post some pics!

I hope you guys enjoy, and thanks for looking. Comments and criticisms are always welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=Galaxy Force Vector Prime vs SG Vector Prime=
    [​IMG]

=Vector Prime vs Megatron (shamelessly copied from process and peaugh)=
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

=Evil Autobots Class of 2012 (not pictured: Drift and Tracks)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow this looks epic... kinda reminds me of a sith lord. XD

3. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

Ooooh, I like this! Very nice paint work, probably not the colors I would have thought to pick but they work perfectly. A little extra detail on the sword wouldn't hurt though.

And no, there's not already an SG Vector Prime; all the "multiversal entities" like Primus, Unicron, and The Thirteen are consistent across universes, so SG doesn't have an evil Vector Prime, it has the same good one as everyone else. But this is Radicons, screw canon. :D 

4. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Nice custom

5. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

Dude, who cares even IF fanpub made an SG vector prime this custom rules!

6. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

Those paint apps look pretty badass, and reminds me why I love that mold. His bot mode is glorious.

7. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    That is a thing of beauty.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You really did well with this!

I think I'd like this mold in just about any color scheme :) 

9. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Damn that's badass!

10. Screamingjet

Screamingjet Well-Known Member

Dude- totally read my mind.

This guy looks EPIC- though the floppy sword on this bot always brings me down ( I have yet to encounter a copy of this mold without a bent sword, mine included). Maybe think about a bit of detail work on the hilt?

Otherwise AWESOME :rock 

11. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Oooooooo.....sexay. Great paint apps, great custom

12. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Great work

13. Spyne98

Spyne98 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That paint work is amazing! Looks very cool overall and evil as all hell. Nice job!

14. slackerforhire

slackerforhire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. I hadn't really considered it, but you're absolutely right. There is a Sith Lord vibe to him. Nice call :) 

Thank you! Yeah, the colors are definitely a little out there, and they definitely weren't ones I would have picked on my own. This is the inverse color scheme that got the ball rolling:

[​IMG]

I stayed pretty close to this design, but did venture off in a few places. The light blue was the toughest part, only because I had the figure dismantled, so I was only seeing the parts and not the whole. The blue really wasn't clicking with me, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Once it was reassembled, I was really happy.

As for the sword, I might see what I can do with the hilt. It's tough with this figure, because there are SO many molded details that just scream to be highlighted... it almost feels like a crime just paint over them with a single color. Unfortunately, I don't have the steadiest hand with a brush, and I could just see myself starting to get carried away, and then totally screw up the current work I've done on this... but the hilt seems like a pretty safe piece to work on.

Also, nice to know that I didn't miss anything regarding an *actual* SG Vector Prime... although it's kind of a bummer that he (along with the other multi-dimensionals) would be the same across all continuities. I didn't realize that would be the case, but it does kind of make sense... although, it definitely seems like a missed opportunity to make more figures for club and con exclusives (although, I'm sure there are many who will argue that there are already too many club and con SG figures).

Thank you so much guys!

Thanks! I share the same sentiments. I own four official repaints, and I'd happily buy more without thinking twice.

Totally agree with you. The rubbery parts are a disappointment. I like that Korean Galaxy Force Vector Prime has solid wings, but unfortunately, the sword is still rubbery. Thankfully, it only takes a little heat and patience to straighten them out... until they start drooping again *sigh*.

I'll definitely have to see what I can do with that hilt.

Thanks man! I hope these details are more of what you were looking for in Cool Things thread :D 

Thank you! I'm happy others are seeing the sinister vibe from this guy. I was afraid that the baby blue might be a bit too much... but I think the red, white, and black help offset it just enough.