Shattered Glass: Value of Autobots Vs. Decepticons?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaijumaster, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Figure I'd ask around see what general opinion is.

Looking at Ebay. Shattered Glass autobots sell for INCREDIBLY higher than the decepticons, why is that I wonder. Sure Optimus and Goldbug are sweet, but the bots color schemes are all over the place. Megatron and Galvatron would only net you about $150 together, but thier both insanly cool molds utilized incredibly well. Rodimus on the other hand....$600 even before Shadow scyther was announced.

Fan opinion, whats the inherant cause of this?

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    was the 600$ before Protector was announced? Once protector was announced, that mold's cost already started to increase. And this means every repaint of it.

Optimus' mold is a lot better than Energon Megatron's.

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I seem to recall it being up to around $400.

The mold isn't so good, but the thing looks damn impressive standing in front of you. The deco works SO well on it.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Wait, Megatron is relatively cheap? *runs off to Ebay*

Oh wait, got no money to spend. :( 

I think the SG Optimus and Megatron toys look great. Care less about all the others..but those are wicked!

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    It might seem that way partly due to Optimus and Rodimus, but if you look at the initial wave, the Autobots have a bunch of the popular fan favorite chracters out in Prime, Rodimus, Goldbug, Jazz and Grimlock while the big name Decepticons were just Megs and Starscream, the rest being Minicons and Sideswipe, so the Autobots would definitely command higher prices in that respect. Galvatron and Thundercracker are still fairly new so they haven't appreciated as much. Would be interesting if Fan Pub decided to put out the more popular Cons like Soundwave, Skywarp, Frenzy/Rumble and then we compare in a few years :) 

6. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    techniclly speaking White Music Label soundwave counts as SG Soundwave. but oh god yes, to use the Rumble Frenzy molds. !!!

7. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Well yes, but SG Soundwave got reformatted into a van recently and wears a bandanna now lol yep they'd be awesome exclusives :) 

8. Galvanitro

Galvanitro Vanguardian

News Credits:
    I can see it now: "BOTCON Exclusive 2-Pack: Eject/SG Rumble and Rewind/SG Frenzy."

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think the SG concept works better when villainifying heroes than when heroifying villains. Evil is more interesting, especially to Western adult collectors, and I think that shines through in most of FP's toys.

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. Apparently they're more popular no matter what Universe you're in. :p 

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Prime, Rodimus, and Grimlock all have (what I consider) appealing color schemes and molds. Jazz is slightly less interesting, but I love the psychotic logos he has in vehicle mode. The Decepticons have some decent color schemes (like Sideswipe), but are, for the most part, far worse toys (Armada vs Classics? No contest there). But, you say Megatron's not going for much? I thought he was one of the most successful figures from that year

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yeah its a shame they had to use so many Armada toys. A Classics mold would have made Sideswipe more valuable.

13. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron affordable? Just looked on eBay and they had 2 listings. One was BIN $249 and the other was at a starting bid of $199. Couldn't find a Starscream.

14. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That about sums it up. Make some adjustments for quality of the mold, head retools, add-ons kits, subsequent releases and it explains a good chunk of the prices.

Hot Rod (Classics)
    Optimus Prime (Classics)
    Grimlock (Classics)

Goldbug (Cybertron)
    Jazz (Cybetron)
    Starscream (Cybertron)

Megatron (Energon)

Sideswipe (Armada)
    Blurr (Armada remold)

15. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    yeah but how many are completed auctions? And I should say affordable in comparison to the 5-$600 price Optimus & Rodimus command.

16. videriant

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megatron and Hot Rod's price we hovering at about the same point a year after release in mid-2009 at about $100-$150. Hot Rod's price started to creep up to the $250 with the news of the normal Protector set when the normal Hot Rod's hit $50, Henkei Hot Rod hit $100, and Henkei Wildrider hit $300-$350 early 2010. It was really the reveal of the Scyther repaint that pushed SG Hot Rod to where he is today.

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

You could also look at it as an issue of availability. Most Botcon boxed sets stay together, so individual figures tend to get pricey. Couple that with the fact that 4/5 figures in the Shattered Glass boxed set are Autobots might push their prices up higher than normal.

Other than that, I second the "Good -> Evil is more interesting than Evil -> Good" comment ^_^