Shattered Glass Sentinel Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Apr 13, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I was thinking sense there is an SG universe for Animated and all the character's personalities are the opposite of their main stream versions. Starscream like's Megatron, Rodimus wants to be the leader of the Autobots, ect. Would that mean that Sentinel Prime who is an Autobot jerk in the mainstream universe would be nice in the SG universe? That would be odd.

It's easy to make a heroic character who still has a bad attitude but it's hard to write a villain with a good attitude. I have seen it done but it was funny as hell. I can't remember the name of the movie but the main villain would go into a bank and calmly wave his gun around asking people nicely to please get down on the floor and then as he finished robbing everyone and left the bank he told them all to have a nice day. The hero of the movie almost never said anything and basically was in "I'm a total bad ass and I'm going to get revenge on this really nice man who murdered my family" the whole time.

I don't know why but something about a villain who robs and kills people but has really nice manners is just funny as hell. Like he even says "sorry for the inconvenience" to all his victims and it's not sarcastic, he says it like he really means it.

So yeah, some how that's how I picture SG Sentinel Prime. Doing evil things but saying please, thank you, sorry, excuse me, have a nice day, and other such things and really meaning it. That, to me, is the opposite of the main stream Sentinel Prime. Though that being said, SG Optimus Prime probably would have killed for being so freaking nice.

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Personally i think of SG character equivelants as having virtually the same attributes and personalities of there main universe counterparts, but having noticably different motivations and events happening to them, shaping their character traits differently. SG animated Sentinel would still be an asshole, but a destructive one instead of a conservative one

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I like to envision SG Sentinel as a disturbingly genial and well-mannered warrior who smiles as he brutally eliminates his enemies. Think Sojiro Seta from Ruroni Kenshin.

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    you just summed up why I collect SG Cons but rarely SG bots. LOL

5. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

Actually, I love SG cons so much that I sometimes try to replace the mainstream personalities with theirs because of their "nice" personalities. There are only so many ways you can write a thug. On the matter at hand, I would mix what Nachsider said with the idea that Optimus killled him himself because he was too soft. His color scheme would go from the G1 yellow to Animated Blue and orange.

6. SaberPrime

How do you figure that when SG Rodimus has the same personality as the main stream universe Starscream. The good Hot Rod never wanted to be the leader of the Autobots, he just got thrust into that position. SG Rodimus actually wants to kill Optimus and take over as the Autobot's new leader. They have totally opposite personalities.

Speaking of which I can totally picture someone recoloring and redubing the scene from the movie when Optimus tries to pass the Matrix to Ultra Magnus so that it looks like Magnus and Hot Rod are fighting over who gets the Matrix. Neither one of them wanted it in the main stream universe so I think their SG counterparts would be fighting for it.

That basically sums up my first post though I'm not familiar with the series or the character you referenced at the end.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He's voiced by William Shatner.

8. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    <attempts to imagine William Shatner's Ultra being the brother of Peter Cullen's Optimus>

<brain explodes>

No.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Actually, I think more of Overlord from LSoTW. Since he does pretty much exactly what you describe throughout the whole story.

What you just described is probably the motivation for a good number of Decepticons, including Marvel G1 Shockwave. Starscream is just remembered for it most because he tries to do it every single chance he gets, while other Decepticons actually try to plan out their ursurping (I.E. IDW Spotlight: Ramjet, although he wasn't very good at it and Megatron knew the whole time).

10. SaberPrime

I'm aware of this but listing every character who has tried to overthrow Megatron/Galvatron is way too much work for a casual conversation.

G1 Starscream, G1 Scourge, practically everyone in Beast Wars except Scorpinok and Inferno, BM Tankor, RID Scourge, Armada Starscream, Cybertron Starscream, RotF The Fallen who actually succeeded, DotM Sentinel Prime who would have succeeded if it wasn't for Carly, Animated Starscream, Prime Starscream. There's probably tones more I didn't even think of. Shockwave though, in G1 Cartoon seems to be totally loyal to Megatron. I mean he was gone for like 5 million years and Shockwave just started taking orders again like Megatron never left. I have seen some funny parodies of different ways Shockwave could have reacted including one where he tells Megatron the war ended a week after they left and then complains that Megatron wants to end 5 million years of peace. Shockwave announces to the planet "Attention everyone, we are to continue fighting now because Megatron commands it."

Anyway, it's just easier to say Starscream because he was the first and he's reused the most often.

11. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    There is an SG equivelant for every universe. All bar the existing sg is what i was talking bout

12. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

The way I see it, SG Sentinel Prime would just be non-emotionally driven with regards to battle as a means to achieve power. He'd be someone who's a bit introverted and paranoid; an individual who became leader by using others to kill SG Nova Prime for him so he could ascend to power. I imagine he'd be kind of like a sniveling politician - someone who would act as an elitist, rather than a warrior.

That sort of person would be begging SG Prime to scrap him.

13. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Going by the DOTM-version, A SG Sentinel would be a man too clung on the law to be useful to anyone, he wouldn't move an inch if the law didn't say so. A man who never forgets his morals, always trying to remember the mottos and teachings of the Thirteen.

He'd be also very afraid of power, easily breaking under pressure. Also, he loves humanity.

14. SaberPrime

I was more talking about Animated Sentinel Prime but nice way to think outside the box.

I'm not familiar with War Within Sentinel Prime who I assume is who you're talking about sense you mentioned Nova Prime. All I know about him is that he died...

Actually going by the movie version. Wouldn't Sentinel Prime have made Optimus the evil person he should be in the SG universe but they decided to change his evil was and join Megatron.

Though movie universe Optimus Prime is constantly killing Decepticons by shooting them in the face, tearing their face off, pulling their face apart, or just good old fashion decapitation. That being said how evil could SG Movie Optimus actually be? Maybe he doesn't care about freedom which is kinda evil I guess but if he doesn't kill anyone like the main stream Optimus does actually do what evil actions could he actually take?

Maybe movie Optimus is SG Optimus and he just pretends to be good while collecting severed heads. I kinda think Movie Optimus has a room somewhere filled with severed damaged heads mounted on the walls which sounds vaguely like SG Optimus who has a room of dead bodies hanging from the ceiling.

15. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SG Sentinel Prime would be a nice guy, but evil. I'm thinking the Mayor from Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    SG Sentinel is immortal and has always been there.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    The thought that the live action movies are all an SG Universe suddenly makes a creepy amount of sense and may improve my thoughts on the movie franchise (which I loathe).

The symbols aren't colored either. No red, no purple... Hmmm...

I like the idea that SG Animated Sentinel is like Captain Kirk. He doesn't want a promotion, has a circle of friends who love him, is a commanding and decisive leader, and likes going forth and meeting new organic species.

18. Overlord Balder

I really think people should stop this whole "Movie Optimus is a psycho" bullshit, at first it seemed like a joke, now people seem to actually believe that Movie-Optimus is a lunatic.

Seriously people, it's getting tiresome.

Because that's an efficient way of killing them. They are hard to take down [BUT HUMANZ CAN LOLZ won't work this time, literally all times they were killed by either side, the 'Cons had to be almost turned into speckles of dust], Optimus has to be sure they go down.

The head seems to instantly kill them. Done. Next time you people will saying a soldier who shoots people in the head is a psycho.

Try wipe out species would be a good one.

Oh yes, and he sacrificed himself for humanity. That's eeeeviil, right? Also trying his darnest to stop a full-scale genocide of mankind [even suggesting killing himself to do it] twice and stopping massively slavery of humanity once. Even when every single human was trying to exile him.

Killing people [especifically, killing people who are trying to wipe out humanity out of the face of the planet] isn't a proof you're a serial killer. Some of our greatest heroes killed people.

Movie-Optimus is a soldier. Nothing more. Nothing less. He's trying to do his job [save Earth].

Hate the movieverse as much as you want, but misinterpreting the character...No, just no.

19. SaberPrime

I'm going to answer this really quickly. You realize we're comparing him to other versions of Optimus right? Other versions of Optimus who like to see good in everyone and not just kill them unless he absolutely has to. Movie Optimus on several occasions killed Decepticons for no reason. Like Demolisor/Scavenger/Wheelbot whatever you want to call him. He was already severely wounded. He wasn't even doing anything wrong the Autobots were hunting him. So Optimus basically brutally murdered him for no reason. Yup that's our hero, he's not a psychopath at all. Actually, that's really the only instance I can think of where he killed someone that wasn't just self defense. I hope that at least helps you understand why people have that opinion of him. You don't have to agree with it but it would be nice if we can just agree to disagree on this one.

20. Overlord Balder

Movie-Optimus tried this too, otherwise he wouldn't be fighting for the diminutive selfish bugs [i.e us], Hell, ha had to convince Ironhide humans were worth fighting for.

You have been only able to mention one, thus far.

As I have mentioned earlier, there are two facts about that scene that everyone misses:

1 - We never saw the context of that thing, we only caught the final battle between Demolishor, Sideways and the 'Bots, kinda like a James Bond opening [like the one where he murders an Russian Spy in Cassino Royale]. We can't say "Optimus murdered him for no reason" or that he was an innocent little 'Con trying to hide from the evil bad 'bots, for all we know Demolishor murdered half of China before that fight started. We really can't judge the Autobots here. It's like watching some WWII footage and going "Oh look, Americans invading Italia! EVIL BASTARDS".

2 - Demolishor was a wrecked steamy pile of metal with a talking head [and said talking head was spitting oil and sparks as he spoke, Hell, his voice was slowly derailing], Optimus was giving him a mercy shot.

As I have noted, yes, he isn't a psychopath. At all. Worst-case scenario he is a less insane Punisher. People talk about him like if he suddenly became Megatron.

I have had this same argument thousands of times [including the same Demolishor argument], and to this day, I still find myself unable to understand, I can understand thinking he is too pragmatic, or too violent even though I disagree, the term psychopath/lunatic/clinically insane is what bugs me. He is nowhere near that level of insanity or brutality.