Shattered glass: just noticed this...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Feb 8, 2012.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something that never quite sit right with me n i just noticed:

With most franchise, the point of having a mirror universe/bizarro version is that its an oppotunity to explore the hero-villain relationship where it usually isnt given a chance in the normal version, e.g.

Supermans archenemy lex luthor is brainy as opposed to brawny. So having bizzaro is an excuse to have a villain that has same trait as hero but for evil.

But in TF, for the most the good n evil counterpart arent necesarily opposites in terms of quality: both op n megs are powerful n charismatic, so inverting their roles is just a means to do a different color scheme.

So what im saying is for most part autobot n deceps are quite balance so role reversal dont quite work? Except for respective penchance for land/flight modes...whadaya think?

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    That's why it's not just a mirror universe, but a shattered mirror universe, that way the character quirks aren't necessarily just opposite, but can be twisted in some way.

Optimus is based on Shockwave anyway.

I don't really care for SG, so I'ma gonna stop defending it.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    First of all mirror universe doesn't equate bizarro version. A Bizarro version is basically a dumber version of the hero/villain with some role reversal, and in some cases, none, and tendency to talk with reverse meaning (Hello = goodbye, etc).

If I understand you correctly, someone like Prime and Megatron shouldn't be the leaders they are, while one of their low ranked followers should be? Mirror Universes in popular culture have never quite followed that actual opposite rule. Take Star Trek for example. The crew of the Enterprise are still mostly the same people, just that they're basically more opportunistic and evil. It's the same case for DC's actual mirror universe, Earth 3, where The Crime Syndicate (The evil Justice League) are basically superpowered villains, with somewhat similar traits to their counterparts (Owlman (Batman's counterpart) is the smart one, Ultraman (Superman) is the powerful one), and their Earth is defended by the likes of Alex Luthor, a human hero with hi-tech gadgets and genius intelligence. Shattered Glass is actually not so different. They may have some role reversals, but in general the practice for Mirror Universes has always been good/evil being flipped. For example, seeing someone like Soundwave the always loyal servant being the leader in a mirror universe would be interesting, but I find some character traits like SG Starscream's devoutness to Megatron and the Decepticon cause and fulfilling his original role as a scientific genius or SG Soundwave's expressive rocker personality just as interesting.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good point on reversal Of SS n SW personalities. I guess its more clear when u apply it to supporting characters.

5. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes, it's not that evident, but they actually flipped some of the personalities around as well. Whereas the classic Megatron had been a veteran gladiator, SG Megatron is actually a young mathematician who developed the technology for alt-modes, and of course is far more compassionate and noble than his mirror self. Prime's flip is less different, he was still an archivist, but instead of being given the leadership role, he aggressively took power for himself, the opposite of his classic character. In addition, whereas the classic Prime is compassionate and just, this one is devoid of such traits, and is insane.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think one of the biggest problems with SG is that it HASN'T explored the hero-villain relationship effectively, the "how"s, "why"s, and "what now"s of making Autobots evil and Decepticons good, and has focused too much on wacky twists in the characterisations and "Get it? GET IT?!" in-jokes and references related to the same.

7. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Agreed. If you want a good example of the hero-villain relationship and what defines those paths, check out Marvel's Age of Apocalypse. It has some of the wacky twists that Aernaroth references, but for a limited run, it does a fairly good job of explaining why the main characters turn out the way that they do.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Fun Fact: TFA Toxitron is Bizzaro Optimus Prime.

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    True, but that's partially because it hasn't really gotten a large amount of storytelling space to be able to do so. However, I think it has been fairly effective in the limited amount of space they've been given. To date, they've been given 1 one shot, a small feature in a crossover, and short prose tales. Would probably be more interesting if they got some better writers on it like Roberts to be able to do a short.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    They've had a lot of opportunity to get details of the universe and setting across in the numerous tech specs of figures released instead of just breaking the 4th wall with tongue-in-cheek references and callbacks, but that's where the focus has been.

Maybe it'll change in the future now that the concept has been "established", but I don't think where the focus is is going to change.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

While the SG fiction is decent, I've always figured it was just a way to make easy repaints (Look, an Evil Optimus Prime that ISN'T Black and/or named Scourge/Nemesis Prime!) and justify using the Energon Barricade mold to complete the OTFCC Nexus Prime combiner by making him a good guy and still bypassing the fact he's a Decepticon mold being linked up to two Autobot limbs.

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    True, it would've been nicer to get more details. I would be interested in more SG fiction, but hope they get the right people on it. It'd be a waste if they muck it up with bad writing just for the sake of more exposure.

Uh how is that justification for anythng? He's still hooked up to two other Decepticons, plus he's meant to be an entirely new character/toy. Mold shouldn't mean anything, we've seen tons of characters get repainted into characters from other factions. This is nothing new.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Because he's the good guy Decepticon. That makes three "good guy" components, which is more than two "bad guy" components (granted, they weren't exactly "evil" either, one being a grumpy mercenary engineer and the other just a Decepticon because of the pre-existing mold), and on paper, that means Nexus Prime is made up of more good guys than bad guys, therefore he's a good guy combiner even though technically he's more Decepticon than Autobot.

Although I guess another point of having Heatwave be a good Decepticon is the whole "merged" aspect of Nexus, since the combiner head is an algamation of all the five smaller heads of the individual members.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Actually Tospin and Landquake are the confused and misunderstood kind of Decepticon.

Hence for all Good.

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I dunno, but I like your sig.