Minor/Repaint: Shattered Glass (Big) Convoy

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by AutoCon2076, Mar 25, 2010.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Hello again! I've made yet another Shattered Glass recolor, this time turning a Transformers 2000 Black Convoy into what I'm calling 'Shattered Glass Big Convoy.' Originally I planned to repaint my Classics Deluxe Optimus, but since I have every intention to get the '08 box set I didn't want a 'double' on the shelf. I think Big Convoy works because, well, aside from looking like Prime... this guy is big. Bigger than Deluxe Prime, so... I thought it just kind of made sense, ya know?

Using toy pics as a reference (@here in the Gallery, many thanks to Sol Fury for his pictures) I matched Convoy's paint scheme accordingly. My personal preference was to replace yellow with copper; I like shiny things. The figure was disassembled and primed with Rustoleum grey from a rattle-can. The purple and copper is hand-brushed acrylic. The entire figure was black-washed with Future Finish (I <3 this shit) and flat black. Dry-brushed silver was then thrown over the wash for some more grittiness.

I hope you all enjoy my third painted figure. Now I need to probe my collection for another 'donor.' Comments and critiques are more than welcome. As a painting noob I rely on your input to help hone my skill. Thanks for looking.

~Z

PS: I know the pictures are big, but I managed to get clear shots on my phone this way. It doesn't like the light box, yet it's fine with the work-desk. Whatever...
    [​IMG]
    (Black Convoy image from @here)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. jetfire4321

jetfire4321 Banned

NICE

3. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that is really cool. and the pic in your post actually showcases hound better than the pics in that thread

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is a really cool custom.

I hope you can reshoot the gallery with a neutral background and some better lighting. :) 

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    looking good Z. you seem to love future floor wax. you should try some clear coats designed for models, be it in rattle can or air brush.

6. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Nice work man, I've always loved this mold and its great to see it has aged so well beside your Classics/Universe SG customs. I had to check the colour mapping on the Botcon Prime and you have it spot on.

I would like clearer pictures though. I'm kinda stuck using my phone camera at the moment as well and all I can suggest is that instead of using a lightbox or your workbench, take the pictures outside against a white wall, should provide a tonne of natural lighting. It has made my pictures look a little better. I've found even taking the pictures in a well lit room doesn't work as well as outside, but that could be down to my own camera (or my inability to take decent a decent picture).

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't really see what either of those have over Future, as I've used both before as well. To each his own, though.

Yeah, I think that's a very fast solution to the photos. As I was saying, just making something just a bit less busy for backgrounds would really highlight you work a lot more :)