Sharpies/Paint Pens

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omega Charge, Oct 24, 2011.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    But painting IS easy. If you're doing small details, you don't even need to dilute the paint like you would for a basecoat. Just dip the tip of the brush into the jar, wipe off excess and do your detail job. Easy easy easy! Proper care of your paint jobs assures that the jar lasts a long long time also. Paint is also easy to take off. Rubbing alcohol takes that stuff off very well!

2. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Yup, I made a thread about added detail, and I got so much crap about Sharpies...

3. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i used a black sharpie on a warpath...made him look stealth/black ops looking...and you cannot imagine the amount of pissing/bitching about it...

4. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My first thought, lol.

Some will say the metallic paint pens are OK for small details, but the normal black ones are anethma to a lot around here (for good reason it seems).

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I used Sharpies before, but the problem is that after a couple of years, it gets fugly.

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Because using black primer and a sealer is always better than using sharpie. Sharpies are just nasty for huge jobs..they discolor plastic, when you have to take the stuff off for whatever reason it doesn't come off easily, and over time it starts looking nasty...and you have to reapply on a regular basis unless you never touch the figure again. A good paint job lasts years and rarely needs touch up, has a smooth finish with a texture that doesn't want to make you throw up when you touch it, and can look glossy or matte depending on your preference.

It just takes a little bit of work. I mean, if you're going to go through the hassle of using a sharpie on something like Warpath...why not just take him apart and spray him? I guarantee that the extra work is negligible for a paint job that will look much better than a sharpie.

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I love using Sharpie's and paint pens! That was all I used at first and, as mentioned in the OP, it made big improvements very quick and easy.

I recently bought paints and they take a lot longer to use. I have to be much more careful with set up and clean up. And it takes a lot longer to add several thin coats. However, the outcome is better.

What I do now is I have my markers at work where I wouldn't be able to paint. When I get the time, I'll use them to add detailing to several toys. Then at home when I have paint sessions, I'll be able to paint one or two toys and/or colors. Often times I'll go over the marker details with paint when I'm working on such a toy...

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    To be fair, it's criticism about how it can look like crap is used too much.

Aside from that, most people- most, that is- couldn't give a crap about coloring a TF.