Sharp Aquos 32"?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by dmc2008, Jan 14, 2009.

1. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For my first HDTV, I'm thinking about getting this:

Sharp LC-32D64U

I understand it's the newer version of the 32" model that was aimed at gamers. This one doesn't have the special button for gamemode, but 6ms is pretty good right?
    If any tech friendly people have feedback on this TV (or similar TVs), comments would be appreciated.
    I will be using it mostly for gaming (Wii, PS3) and movies (DVD, Blu-Ray) but does it pick up a digital signal right out of the box? What kinds of channels am I expected to see without having cable or satelitte service?
    And lastly, is it worth upgrading my PS3 from a component cable to HDMI?

Thanks everyone and wish me luck!!

2. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got the 52" sharp aquos... I can say nothing bad about it or the brand. go for it.

3. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

It's a good TV and if it's your first HDTV then you will drool at the bump in resolution, clarity and detail!

6ms is the average refresh rate from most HDTVs now a days. You might see some "ghosting" or "trails" in the faster action games and scenes. Anything not 2ms or lower you will see those effects.

Yes almost all HDTVs have built in digital signal tuners, so you will get your basic cable and any free HDTV signal channels after you run the channel search on it.

You might get stuff like FOX & FOX HD, ESPN & ESPN HD, Discovery & Dicovery HD, mostly sports and the more popular networks.

HDMI is 100% pure digital & audio feed! Yes get a 24k gold plated 6" or shorter cord! You will notice a difference if you have an eye for it!

Composite and Component cables break down the video & audio signals and reassemble them back in your TV, HDMI is sent as 100% pure digital signal!

Hope that helps.

4. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    whatever you do though, don't get suckered into buying $50+ cables for it, no matter where you are. there's no reason for digital cables (hdmi, optical, and others) to be more than $20 for a set. it's a big ripoff perpetuated by best buy and manufacturers like monster to make you believe you're getting more for your money when you buy something like a $200 set of component or hdmi cables.

5. optimus kimchee

Meh, you get what you pay for.

Get a six foot $20 copper wire HDMI cable with normal rubber insulation and you get distortion in video & audio.

Get a $60 six foot HDMI with 24k gold contacts and better insulation, less distortion.

Also, always run your cords the same run tied together! Once you let them cross with a poor covering the cross wires will distort your signals.

Don't belive me ask anyone who installs car audio or home theater system... they always run the cables/cords tied together as one run.

Insulation, connection and the way you run your cords makes a huge difference between clarity or distortion.

Then again I am anal about such things cause I am the type of person who wants it done right for the best experience possible, lol.

6. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

7. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
  8. dmc2008

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the comments, guys!

I'll have to order one of those HDMI cables..
    Can't wait to finally see my PS3 the way it was meant to be! :drool: 

9. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

The Sharp Aquos 32" is the one I have... and i'm very satisfied with it. This was the only 32" model i found with 1080p resolution.

good buy

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

We use that exact model in the training rooms where I work and I can say that I think you've made a very good choice! It's a great looking TV in terms of style. The HD picture with y/pr/pb cabling is actually very nice but I have noticed a positive (but minor, IMO) difference when using HDMI cables. Since it's not a huge screen size, you won't notice the SD "fuzziness" that you get with the larger sets as much either. Good luck on the purchase!

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i am soooo wanting to use it to replace my old RCA 27" behemoth and my PC monitor at the same time.

but ya know, i want the one on the right...
    [​IMG]
    (Panasonic, 150 inch and not yet available, darn it.)

even i can read my emails from my couch with that, lol.
    good luck with the Aquos!

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that an HDMI cable either works perfectly, or it does not work at all. I don't encourage buying the cheapest, crappiest cables out there, but I also discourage buying those $50 cables.

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hmm. I can get Sharp Aquos quite cheap, cheaper now because of the sales. I might look into these.

How do they compare to Samsungs?

14. dmc2008

News Credits:
    Got it yesterday... LOVING it!
    I have basic cable coming in through a coax... The channels don't look as good as my old TV (3-4 year old Samsung CRT) and some of them are very fuzzy. I understand this is because an Analog channel does not convert very well to this digital display. I scanned the channels and lo and behold have found all the major networks' HD channels and a few others (USA, Universal HD) AND a ton of digital channels where I can see what people are watching on demand! Not sure how this is working, and the channels fluctuate, but its pretty cool nonetheless.
    Am I to understand that my cable stations will look a lot better once we switch over to DTV in February? Cause that would be awesome.
    I am blown away by the PS3 on this TV. My only issue is DVDs don't look as sharp as I expected... The output is listed as 480p. Is my TV upscaling automatically, or am I going to notice a big difference if I purchase an HDMI cable? Cause Blu-Ray looks AMAZING already.
    Anyways, thanks for the suggestions!... off to stare at this thing of beauty some more!

15. optimus kimchee

If your using an older DVD player then yes your going to run 480p. Chances are your old DVD player is also a composite output.

You can snag a 720p progressive scan DVD player from Best Buy now a days for around $100 with HDMI output :) 

Enjoy and have fun with your new HDTV!

16. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Why spend $100 on a dvd player when the PS3 does a great job upscaling DVDs.

17. dmc2008

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's how I play DVDs anyways. I got a Philips HDMI cable at Walmart for $30 (gotta love instant gratification). Everything looks amazing.
    Seriously, even with upscaling I can really tell the difference between DVDs and Blu-Rays. Obviously this is because I live in a rowhouse and sit two to three feet from my TV. The further you are from the screen, the harder it is to see the "fuzzies" of DVDs or regular television programming.
    But up close.. man, I need to replace some movies with Blu-Rays. Transformers and Lord of the Rings, I'm looking at you!

Also I have noticed one or two "stuck pixels" which don't bother me too much but I'm wondering if they're fixable. I've read online that I should return the TV under warranty, or even try "softly poking" the screen. Well that's going a bit too far, I think... I heard of software you can run to try and correct this on LCD monitors. Does such a thing exist for LCD TVs?