Shark fin soup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -Mainframe-, Jul 5, 2012.

1. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Article

I agree, time to ban shark fin soup.

China: Shark fin soup off the menu - YouTube

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Given the message it sends in terms of not only conspicuous consumption, but towards the ecological implications of eating shark fins, I'm down with this decision, though I wonder why there's a 3 year delay.

3. WTDylio

WTDylio Where is Jessica Hyde?

News Credits:
    So they're only banning it at state banquets, but not restaurants? Oh well, at least it's a step in the right direction. The whole image of just cutting a sharks fin (some of which are incredibly young) off then just dumping it back in the water alive is horrific, Gordon Ramsey did a very good documentary about it a year ago, can't remember what it was called though.....shark bait?

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I wish the finless sharks could be tagged so we can go back an attach lazers to them someday.

5. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people. Thats just cruel, cutting their fins off and leaving them to die. These people need their junks cut off and fed to dogs and thne left to die from bleeding. (Thank you Hostel 2 for this idea :D  )

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I hate sharks. But I'm for the ban. It's cruel what they're doing to them. And people should stop hunting Wales, while we're at it.

7. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I heard of Jumping the Shark but not Eating the Shark!

But yeah. I'm glad it's off the menu.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Id have no problem with using the fins from the sharks to make soup if the used the entire animal and imposed a strict fishing limit on them.

But as that is not likely to happen in China i support the banning of shark's fin soup.

9. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Though I kinda wonder what's up with the three year delay, I support the banning of shark fin soup.

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    The article also talks about Maotai, which is a chinese liquor that's very expensive, essentially a cross between dom perignon and soy sauce, that the chinese government presents to all official guests of state. So as you can imagine, this is a pretty costly thing to do, and similar legislations have been proposed to bar the government from doing so, just as with this shark fin legislation.

But the sentiment among many, as you can see in the OP, is that these measures are insufficient, and that a comprehensive set of standards for government banquets and consumption need to be made, rather than simply stopping the use of one luxury item at a time every once in a while. I find it very interesting that this issue is being framed in the context of "government staff are consuming all these luxury items at banquets that the common people can't afford", where we in the west view shark fin mainly from an animal-cruelty/overfishing perspective. Cultural context, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2012
  11. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Why should we stop hunting Wales? I think people would love to hunt Wales! It's a great country, after all! XP

But in seriousness, they really need to speed up the ban on shark fin soup. Those poor finless sharks. D:

12. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Actually, the sale of Shark's fin has been banned here. Although some restaurants still sell Shark's Fin Soup.

13. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Eh.

Sharks are the assholes of the ocean. Killer Whales are dicks too.

14. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Gah, seriously. I think they're the only other species that actually plays with it's food before they eat it (aside from human children of course).

Ok, maybe not, but still, playing with a baby seal before killing it isn't very nice.

15. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Hate sharks!? :crazy: 

Hunting rules do need to be imposed. Over fishing will send them into extinction.

Finless sharks die.

Three years is too long for this ban to take effect. At least by January 1st, 2013.

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    is there anything in this world you dont hate?..a more negative human towards animals I have yet to encounter.

On the subject at hand I think it is about time, ppl who order this at a restaurnat should get a kick in the butt. Even more so if they know how the procedure works and still dont care..those ppl can be shakrfood for all I care.

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    The thing is, in many countries, Shark fin soup isn't just a delicacy, it's one that carries cultural connotations. Shark fin soup is served not only at banquets and to gourmands, but at weddings. So for a sort of comparison, imagine if someone were to say "the eggs in your wedding cake are animal cruelty" or "the cruel killing of the silkworms used to make your wedding dress" to a bride in a "western" country. Part of it is as much about tradition and how one looks to their peers as it is taste. I completely agree that the current overexploitation (and underutilizing) of sharks is a crisis that needs international attention, but to effectively do so requires a change in social attitudes (and not just in Asia) as well as regulation.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Is there any original thought you've ever had? I don't know why you have such a hard on for me and my posts, but I don't swing that way, sorry buddy.