3D Artwork: Shapeways Trouble

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by weeklyhero, Jan 29, 2012.

1. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I tried finding some help about this on the Shapeways forum, but with no luck there, I thought I'd try here. I'm trying to print out really small Autobot and Decepticon insignia to turn into earrings for my wife. I modeled them out in Lightwave.

[​IMG]

So I upload it into Shapeways and it turns out like this.

[​IMG]

Where did those indents on his forehead go? I tried uploading it in both Collada and OBJ formats and I get the same result with both of them. Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Big Hache

Big Hache Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey there, nice to see another 'waver!

First, looking at your OGL screen grab, those white areas look like they might be 2-point polys or caps where you may have done some extrusions.

Second, make sure you've tripled any n-gons.

3. MoonBaseTom

MoonBaseTom Inventor of Mac'n Cheese

Ebay:
    Is your mesh watertight? Basically your mesh has to be one continuous model, no intersecting geometry, make sure there are no holes in your mesh. There's a program called net Fab that can help. Export an stl file an open it in netfab. You can run stl checks to make sure it a printable model. like big hache said, up the poly count too. Not sure if light wave has a tessilate feature but try and use some kind of subdivition.

4. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Thank you both! I downloaded an STL exporter plug-in and net Fab and was able to get everything to work after that. I was having so much trouble using Lightwave that I was about to give up and move to Google SketchUp. Thanks for saving me that trouble.

5. Big Hache

Big Hache Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Glad you got it sorted. I had some difficulty getting output from Lightwave at first too. I think this is an aspect of polygonal modeling more than a given modeling application. A good tip is to check the Polygon Statistics window to make sure there are only 3 and 4 point polys. 2-point polys will not pass Shapeways' tests. 5-point polys (and up) may pass the tests, but may fill in a hole so as to produce unexpected results and a wasted order.

Depending on what version you're running, I've been exporting Collada files from LW which Shapeways has been accepting with no problem.