Customs: Shapeways Strong/White/FLEXIBLE : can it be markered or painted?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blaynescott, Nov 9, 2011.

1. blaynescott

blaynescott Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

Shapeways | blog: Introducing White Strong & Flexible... Polished and Smooth

Im about to put through a large Shapeways order for some Scramblecore parts, etc, but wanted to know if the new material type can be painted or markered black with a sharpie. Does anyone have experience with this new material?

I usually get black/ strong, but if I could avoid that gritty prototype texture,it would be nice.

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    From what I've read, it accepts coloring the same as the non-polished variant.

3. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    polished removes quite a bit of the texture (depending on the design) it will paint the same, but it is still recongnizeable as a prototype

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    I suppose you could also sand it down more. Or not get the WSFP and just sand it entirely yourself, save some money.

5. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What i've been doing is dying WSF Polished with some Rit Dye. You keep all the detail. I've also have used nail polish that I stole from my wife. If you put the polish on in thin layers, it should work as well.

6. sirmiggs

sirmiggs Member

I've been wondering the same about shapeways parts. I wish they had a better color selection too. I would imagine if you get a nice primer then color on top -it should hold well(?) But we'll have to see once I get my order in...