Heavy/Scratch: shapeways shenanigans

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ike_ike, Mar 18, 2011.

1. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

so about a month ago i was fiddling around with weapon concepts and came up with these things. spent a little time making them in 3ds max, then sent them off to shapeways

golly it took a while, but the shapeways box finally came today.

am quite liking their materials. very solid, and not as grainy as it looks in photos. too bad this one order bankrupted me, haha

EDIT: if you don't want a trained monkey to starve, you could always grab yourself a copy!

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I'm seriously considering doing 3D stuff again... this looks so COOL!
    never worked in 3Dmax though, only DAZ 3D Studio Pro...
    It's been 2yrs anyone know if the export to the required files could work?
    Or maybe someone willing to receive a test-file and import it in 3Dmax and judge if it could be done? THNX in advance!

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Great design, my only criticism is that i wouldn't buy one because they are way over the top. BFG's are nice, but i don't think it would be a good idea to give everyone one. I mean, just think of the collateral damage! :lol 

Still, nice. Hope you get some sales you won't be bankrupt anymore!

4. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

Why is everyone better than me in 3D? :( 

Good work! got a link?

5. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    In DAZ, you can export your files as an .OBJ, which you can then import into pretty much any 3D program.

6. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

as in shop?
    as in fuel my horrific plastic crack habits?
    as in MONEY MONEY MONEEEE-

yep.

preeeetty expensive as a set though. the swords are pretty cheap but those accursed launchers ... golly. but if you want your scouts to sleep sound at night, these may be your only chance!

haha. yeah, things sometimes look a biiiiiiit different on paper to real life. on the plus side there are some 5mm handles so you can equip them to leaders as uh ... rocket firing flare guns. yep.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, that's some nice work. The title of the thread is pure win too :D 

8. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    OK!! man you inspired my to look for EASY FREE 3D MODELLING on Google :) 
    Found a programm called K-3D... never used it, no manual...
    but after 5minutes I created something simple for testing purpose :D 
    (any tips on better also easy free to use programs?)

[​IMG]

need to figure out how things are measured and exported, anyone who cares to lend me a hand? ;) 

Damn... dunno how to Global illuminated yet :) 
    [​IMG]

I quit HIJACKING your thread... sorry :( 
    where could I post a thread of my own for help and testing?

Attached Files:

9. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

i just poked around in general creative discussion. looks pretty spiffy, but you might wanna hollow out the whole thing. saves a load of money.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Those look fantastic! Any shots of the launchers pegged together too?
    Since (I assume) they're not specifically designed to work together, I'd recommend having the swords and launchers as separate items too (as in a file for the swords, and a file for the guns); it might encourage more people who only want one or the other.

Your experiment's looking good too, G60! I've never heard of K-3D - sounds like another one worth looking at. You may want to also have a look at SketchUp if you haven't already. Blender's a good one too; it takes a little while to get your head round the user interface, but once you have, it's great.
    And as Ike Ike said, make sure you try to hollow your models as much as you can (though don't make the walls thinner than a millimetre or two, otherwise it won't print). Prices are based largely on material volume, so the less material your model uses, the cheaper it will be.

11. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

ah, you remembered that. yeah, that was my one disappointment with this. the tabs printed, but not the slots, so they can't join together :(  not sure why it wouldn't print, but they work well enough apart.

split the sets up into individual things too. a bit more expensive because of that $1.50 startup :<

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Ah, pity about the slots, but at least they work well apart. Maybe you'll be able to fix them up in time.
    As for splitting them, you could have them available in both forms if you wanted; have the swords and guns available separately for those who only want one, or the full set for a slightly lower price than the two would be separately.

13. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Those are awesome! 3 mil clip system and pegs, glorious! Can't wait to see these painted up, keep up the good work:thumbs2: 

14. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fantastic work, and I agree maybe the launchers can be hollowed out more, or have more cuts and detail in the casing to reduce material.
    The swords are really pretty...One problem I realised in a short time the attachment points will wear down and become loose. You can try the old super glue trick if you haven't already, just don't add too much.

I'm glad about your suggestion about Blender. I've installed it on my mac for the longest time and you reminded me to start checking it out. I currently use Rhino3D to cad, though. The low-poly capabilities it has lends itself well to the current aesthetics of my projects.

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm the same with AutoCAD - if you can build it from simple geometric shapes, you can produce tons of stuff. That does limit it to very mechanical-style detailing, though. Anything more complex, you need to look elsewhere, and Blender should be able to cover your needs.

I'd also recommend downloading this free e-book, which should help you get your head round the program; the user interface isn't immediately intuitive, so it's good to have a guide.

16. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Awesome stuff dude. :D  I really wanna get into this.
    Can that site be used with 3DS MAX Collada? I'm not sure if it's like the other programs others in this thread have used, I heard about it from that game Spore that it now allows you to upload your creations into it.

EDIT: Found out that it is supported. Sweet.