Customs: Shapeways questions (I made a head!)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Warsman, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Warsman

Warsman Active Member

Jumper Head 2 by joelklase on Shapeways

OK, after experimenting with a 3D program for a few hours, tonight I made a basic shape of Animated Cliffjumper's head. If you view it, go ahead and laugh, but this 3D shizz is hard, lol.

Anyway, if I order one through Shapeways, what is the material like? I mainly want to know: Can I sand it? Can I sculpt onto it and heat it to cure the Sculpey via heat gun? I hope to sculpt the details on the head shape and then make a mold of it.

Last, is there any kindsparked bot who'd help me and answer some of my 3D questions, lol. I'm only trying to learn enough to be able to make some Shapeways heads and stuff.

Thanks,
    Wars

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Use WSF (White Strong and Flexible) and it's great. It can be sanded, and I know things like Milliput stick to it. Not sure about Sculpey, though.

PM me if you need it. I'm a noob at designing, but I'll see what I can do. :) 

3. Warsman

Warsman Active Member

Thanks Treadshot, I'm gonna shoot you a PM this week about detailing these heads. I can pretty much only make the basic shapes, I have no idea how to add in the details. So far, I have Animated Scrapper, Cliffjumper and Wasp (not shown- the program I'm using refuses to save Wasp's head as an .obj file??) so I ordered the Scrapper and Cliff heads, I'll see what I can do to sculpt on the details, then mold and cast them. I'm VERY tempted to try to model out Animated Wheeljack's robot mode--I know I could do the shapes, but it'd probably not be cost efficient to purchase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wars

4. Treadshot A1

Okay, what do you need my help for? It looks like you have the modeling all figured out. All you need to do is add the eyes and facial features, which i don't see why you couldn't already do. :) 

From my experience in blender, can you not just simply stretch out the shape which makes the head, to create eyes and a mouth? I've personally never encountered such a problem, but i do most of my modeling in sketchup, which lets me draw and add wherever the hell i want.

Might help to let us know what program you use, and then we can find someone who knows that program's ins and outs. Off the top of my head, i can do Sketchup, G60's great with Maya, etc.

5. Warsman

Warsman Active Member

Heh, heh, I use a program called "EasyToy"--made for people who want to make plush stuffed animals and inflatable items (Cool YouTube vid here-YouTube - ‪Easy 3D modelling using sketched-based EasyToy software‬‏ ). The reason I picked it is because you literally draw the shape, adjust it, rotate it and shape it agin from the sides and back. VERY easy to make basic shapes (and not so basic shapes) but it is NOT a great tool to then go back in and add details and features. My hope was to export the initial renders into something like Blender--which has me totally intimidated, lol.

I played around with Sketchup, but it couldn't make the Animated style angles and slopes I wanted, but very good for blocky-G1ish stuff. But I only messed with it for as long as my short attention span allowed. And I couldn't even figure out how to load reference images for front and side views, lol. Can Sketchup help me smooth out these heads? They seem to retain alot of small angles and geometry, even after I use the smooth tool in EasyToy.

Thanks man,

Wars

6. Treadshot A1

Reviving thread because i started experimenting with the software. The only problem? Finding a good reference. Warsman, where'd you get the reference images you used?