Customs: Shapeways question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sinstroke, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sinstroke

Sinstroke Snipercon 4 hire

Ebay:
    Okay in theory is it possible to strip down a TF Figure, Say FOC Optimus Prime in to parts then 3D render them, Increase there size and then do whatever shapeways does to make it bigger? say like going from deluxe class to Ultra class/leader class? if so does any1 know who i could talk to get it done?

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I think its possible, but it would probably cost hundreds of dollars X_X

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Like Anti-venom said Shapeways gets so expensive when you do big parts that it would make more sense to downsize parts. Or maybe upscale specific parts like heads and weapons.

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Yes it's possible, but it would take a lot of time, and a lot of money. Even if you had access to a printer, you are basically reverse engineering a toy. There's a lot going on with these toys, and I think most people would be surprised at how many pieces go into one toy.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I've got a 3D printer, and I'm actually working on a project based on FOC prime, and I'm replacing a lot of his parts....but there's no way I'd want to try and model that entire toy, and he's simple as heck, by TF standards.

That said, 3D Scanning technology is getting better and better all the time, not nearly good enough to make working toy parts yet (well, not at the home-hobbiest level anyway), but it's getting close.

5 or 10 years from now, we'll all be doing this sort of thing.

D/L

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's possible, not difficult, but massively time consuming. I've rendered a few different parts from the classics seeker mold for reprinting in white plastic, but it takes a good few hours to get the curves and shapes right.

Unless I was absolutely desperate for the figure, I wouldn't bother. It wouldn't surprise me if an oversized KO came out at some point, there's a few for the WFC mold.

7. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

has anyone tried sculptio?

8. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

sculpteo*

interesting, it seems to be another "shapeways" type of business.

9. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    any 3d printing method will make not so perfect parts, the texture on the powdered plastic machines isnt smooth, The thermal nozzle machines make the part but it has the print pattern in it very obvious (possibly sandable and paintable) the cnc machines are the best but the cost is significant since you pay for all the plastic not just the finished product weight. My point is 3d printing is good for prototypeing but not for finishing, maybe though use the printed part to make a mold to cast higher quality parts, but if you are using a good 3d program , I use solidworks, you could skip it all and just create the molds. using the software to prototype.