Customs: Shapeways question- rendering fists?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Master Blaster, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, I've had a good poke around the internet and the shapeways forums, but I don't really see anything regarding this.

I want to render some replacement fists for the classics lambo and fairlady brothers. Closed fists don't do it for me anymore (not since Jazz and Wheeljack were released), and these six have removable hands so I figured I'd replace those first.

But it's not proving an easy task. Has anyone tried rendering fists, open or closed, before? Any tips? All the various angles and shapes aren't that easy to capture perfectly.

Ta!
    ~MB~

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Well, what program are you using? And what hands are you trying to make? As in, what pose?

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Google sketchup 8.0 as always. My aim is to recreate generations Wheeljack's fists, and then simply change the dimensions of the attached peg to suit the mold. I was also planning on using the design to produce improved hands for my aerialbots.

4. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know if this will help but I just had a quick, rough play -

-Make a cross section of the main shape of the hand (fingers and thumb base) and push/pull to get height.
    -Push/pull fingers to make the top fingers and push/pull and move the vertexs to tidy up the thumb base.
    - Group what you've done and then build the other fingers and thumb on top of that.

Picture goes from bottom to top:
    [​IMG]

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, that's actually pretty impressive Rod, especially for rough. Thanks man, I'll give it a go a little later! :D 

EDIT:: @process yeah I'll definitely give that a look-in too! Can't hurt. I'm limiting the fist size, they'll be no bigger than the originals. Wheeljack's fists are actually pretty close to their closed-fists dimension-wise.

7. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's what I was saying, step by step. Obviously there's some refinement that needs to be done:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmm that's pretty impressive. Thanks guys, thanks to you two I should have a finished render for early tomorrow morning! It'll take many an hour, but it'll totally be worth it. The fairlady bros look totally wicked with open hands.

Maybe after that I can have a go at pointing-finger hands, just as a random addition.

9. Treadshot A1

Would just like to say that Autodesk 123D is a really annoying program and uselss compared to the other stuff you can get, IMO. I have downloaded it, and I still use a sketchup (though obviously now I use something else as well, but NOT 123D).

EDIT: for Process' method, you'd need to joint push pull the separate the lower three fingers.

10. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could model it around a 5mm cylinder... At least for the start.

11. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's too bad. I had high hopes for that program!

12. Treadshot A1

So did I. But it's drawing system is really bad. It doesn't guess the plane like Sketchup, it just fixes one plane, and it takes ages to convince the program you want to switch to another plane (its not going to a menu and changing it, it's draw enough stuff to convince the program you're working on another axis, and pray it works). I find it far easier to simply use Sketchup, or any of the other programs I have than use it. I guess you really do get what you pay for. In this case, that's practically nothing. Even the downloadable models on their site are loaded with errors and non-manifoldness. :( 

13. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what I've come up with so far. Could take a few days' practise to get it right I think, not as easy as it looks!

Attached Files:

14. Treadshot A1

Since you're stacking, you need to be careful with internal faces and geometry. Go to Wireframe mode and check inside, as you model has some reverse faces right now.

Also, I don't think it's the base that needs to be reworked, just the hand needs to be more aesthetically pleasing. Trust me, in most of my designs the basic geometry takes much less time than the detailing afterwards.

If you need it, feel free to PM me. :) 

15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ha, wireframe mode's quite nice. That hand up there's just a play-around, I'm building the for-printing hand from scratch. Pinky's almost done! :p  Definitely gonna be slow process though. Will upload update in a bit.

Thanks man, I'll drop you a PM if it starts getting irritating :D 

16. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just need to add the thumb, and my deluxe scale open hand template will be finished! Thanks for the help everyone :D 

EDIT:: Photo updated, fist nearly done! Looks brilliant :D 

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      288.2 KB
      Views: