Customs: shapeways, measuring, feasibility, expeeeenses

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ike_ike, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

My only complaint is that for such a huge sword, the hilt seems strangely big for it.

Let me try to explain what i mean: Given the attachment above, i woul personally pull the sword's edge a bit more to the left. It's just that now, assuming th hilt is a 5mm peg, the fingers will extend further than the blade itself, which for such a big sword might not be so practical. Just my 2 cents. :) 

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Those look brilliant! Good luck with the prints! :D 

As far as I understand it, they use a steel powder with an organic binder of some kind, which they can laser sinter in much the same way as the WSF. When it comes out it's really fragile, but then they put it into an oven and cover it with bronze powder. As it cooks, the bronze infuses into the steel to strengthen it.
    There's a video at the bottom of this page that gives you some idea of what they do.
    Shapeways | Stainless steel

The Shapeways viewer does tend to simplify the model a bit, so while it gives an idea of what your model will look like printed, it's not entirely accurate. Like they said, the way it looks in your actual modelling software should be far more accurate to how it'll actually come out.

3. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

very, very nice. the only issue i see is the clips don't swivel, which could be a problem with the positioning of some of the rails

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, that's not necessarily a problem as such, it limits the functionality a little bit. It can be clipped all rails, but only practically on some of them. If it's feasible to include swivelling clips, then I'd encourage it, but if, as in the case of some of my Gunslingers, that might not be practical, then fixed clips can still be plenty useful.

5. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

bit the bullet. i figure that if there are any hitherto unseen issues, i can just grab some putty and patch them up. worse case scenario is that i've completely flunked the scale and the entire set is the size of a thimble, but i sure hope thimbles don't cost $25.

anyway, 10 working days to go, and to pass the time, have some additional silliness

more work on the triple railed minigun concept, a generic gun thing, the legendary Plank of Primus (of course, studded with nasty scraplet teeth), buzzsaw, chainsaw etc etc

god, when you think about it, 10 days can be a looooooooong time

[​IMG]

6. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    Any of you know what the hell is going on with Shapeways? I've been waiting for a model approval since December.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That sounds like something to e-mail Customer Services about ([email protected]). I've certainly had no problems in that regard...

8. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

blegh, rejected for having thin edges. is there no way to make a nice sharp blade edge? the alternative is to massively thicken the blade to a 1mm edge, but that uses a fair bit more plastic

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Depends on the angle at which your blade is edged. I know a 45 degree blade works, and at smaller scales a 30 degree cut works too. Also check if your serrated teeth are thick enough.

Also, you actually have to wait 14 days, due to weekends, at the maximum. If you're lucky 9 days and it'll get here, but sometimes UPS hates you

10. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon