Customs: shapeways, measuring, feasibility, expeeeenses

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ike_ike, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

so i have some scouts with 3mm bars, but no 3mm weapons of their own. i am not a fan of buying a figure purely for an accessory, and i'm preeeeetty terrible at making stuff by hand. so i had the idea of printing some 3mm weapons, having seen all those nice things in radicons recently.

except ... i have no idea what i'm doing. i've got a few concepts up, but i have no idea how feasible they are, no idea how to get real world measurements etc. etc.

don't suppose any of you nice people want to lend a guiding hand?

Attached Files:

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radic...-3mm-weapons.html?highlight=Misc.+3mm+weapons

Well, firstly, you can buy these. [/shameless plug]

Secondly, you got much experience with 3D modelling programs? If you do, then it shouldn't be much problem. If you don't, i suggest comissioning someone (Ramrider does this stuff i think, if he won't i might take a look at it).

Just looking at your pictures, the sword in the first one would be feasible in real life. It's be quite a thick sword, i'd say prbably a tapered 5mm block, so that you'd have enough room to mount a 3mm bar for the smaller one to latch on to. For some reason it also reminds me a lot Cloud Strife...

Are you actually planning to print that robot, though? Because that would be a lot harder. If you don't want it, i'd get Ramrider on the job, as he's got the most experience in that area.

Bootom line: If you've never touched modelling programs before, and you don't feel like spending 2 years learning and practicing, go hire someone. ;) 

3. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

This looks very feasible.

I really like your designs here, I'm far from an expert, but I'll have a go at this later if only for practice, will see how it comes out. I think I can get the measurements and keep the proportions you have here.

Though if others with more experience step up I'll be far from offended, it'd be nice to see these doe, loving that sword!

4. dsn1014

If you want to do this yourself try using the measure tool in photoshop or gimp to try and give yourself a scale value. You know where you want the 5mm peg, so use that as a reference. Then use the measure tool to measure the sword and apply the scale to it. It should help you to keep near enough the exact proportions of the weapons in the pictures.

5. Treadshot A1

The sword may be feasible, but it'll cost a shit load as it stands. I would make it hollow, to save cost. ;) 

Also, calling Ramrider, do your read me?

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Reading, dude. While I've been technically online most of the day, my eyes have been elsewhere. :p 

This all looks pretty doable to me.
    I wouldn't worry too much about exact measurements; I'd pretty much start with the bits that need to be accurate (5mm handles, 3mm rails and clips) and work from there, going with what looks good. I do agree with Treadshot that some hollowing could be in order for pricing purposes (look at the way most TF weapons, including guns, have sections that are almost flat in the middle to save on material usage, as well as all those carved slots on the insides and undersides of things).

I'll be happy to have a crack if you want me to. :) 

7. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

i've opened up the ol' 3ds max and am having a go at it now.

the sowrd, i'm thinking of keeping thin, but have an unsightly bulge on the edge for the clip. a little sacrifice in aesthetics is worth the price reduction.

and golly, this is going to cost a lot more than i expected. how well does this stuff glue together? i'm thinking of just having completely hollow rocket launchers with an end piece to glue onto it. also need to think of some neat way to integrate 5mm pegs with the clip system.

8. Treadshot A1

5mm pegs and 3mm clips have been integrated. Just look at Ramrider's Vantage (I think, may have been Dustup) and my Petal robots. They both use hybrid connectors.

Also, if it were me I'd make the sword as it is, then cut a lot out of one side. This way, one side of the sword will look fine, and the other side you can pose so that no one sees it.

And good luck with 3d Max, I hear it's very hard. I'm still on Sketchup. :lol 

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How does making anything hollow on a 3d printer a cost saver? From what I understand a laser or drills/routers cuts away from material (essentially a cnc). Wouldn't cutting more material cost more?

10. Treadshot A1

No, these printers work by Selective Laser Sintering. Think really tiny lego. So, the less material you use, the less cost. The material is built in the shape you design, there's no cutting away stuff involved.

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That makes more sense but because of the steel products I didn't think they did this. Must be a pretty strong laser!

12. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

don't argue with the laser, it is always right

anywho, this is it. i think i'm pretty much done, ~$17 just for the launchers, giving me a few cm3 to work with for the swords. shapeways hasn't thrown a fit yet, but i've stuck the .3ds file here in case anyone wants to check for potential nastiness.

EDIT: looks like i can't sneak it past in a .zip or .7z. bah.

Attached Files:

13. Treadshot A1

So, i ask: What the **** did you need us for, then? :lolol 

Anyways, good work with the launchers, all i can say is hollow them out as much as you can, to save as much material , and therefore as much money, as possible.

14. dsn1014

These look wonderful, you really did a great job on them. If you get them printed, be sure to post so we can drool over them.

15. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

no experience with shapeways, silly! i wanted to hear some nightmare stories. never made a model for use in meatspace

haha, will do. need to scrape together some cash now

16. dsn1014

I know that pain, there's a $25 minimum order, but I do believe that covers p+p as well, if they come out nice folks might well want to print them off for themselves too.

17. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

19.85 so far. i'm guessing that's in US dollars, but the aus dollar is 101 US cents at the moment i think, so it all works out to be about the same.

the swords are only $5 for some reason. they're a bit on the thin (width wise) side but if i widen them any more they get a bit ludicrous. i'm thinking of trying to make a minifig with the last $5 of the model, or making some adapter pieces for 3mm madness and hilarity

EDIT: woohoo, $25.20. stuff in another pair of swords and 4 5mm>3mm rail adapter things

EDIT 2: well, this is worrying. the launchers are meant to join together with a tab and matching slit on either launcher - the slit turns up in 3ds max, but not in shapeways' own 3d viewer. cause for concern? any ideas as to the cause of this?

Attached Files:

18. dsn1014

not sure why that is at all

would you consider putting a tab on the back of the small blade and slit on the back of the big blade so that when they combine you can guarantee they lie up and sit in place solidly.

great work

19. Treadshot A1

Not true. Due to paying through paypal, the exchange rate comes out as 1 AUD = 0.98 USD or something like that. Paypal is a bitch sometimes. :( 

I'd say just upload your launchers again. They might have just had a slight bug the first time. If that doesn't work, check your model for hidden faces and stuff.

20. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

obviously they decided being permanently upside down wasn't punishment enough for Australia.

on the other hand, i found this nice line in the FAQ : "It will print out and look as it has in your 3D modeling application." fingers crossed.

done for one pair. both blades have a completely flat side where they join so in theory there shouldn't be a problem, but it's a good excuse to add a serrated edge to the big sword.

edit: fun with clips. the combined form is illegal in 16 different countries on this side of the equator alone

Attached Files: