Customs: Shapeways help for custom figure.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Underhead, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

Hello. I am currently working on a 100% custom figure for printing on Shapeways. I've designed it to be compatible with the glyos system figures. I am very inexperienced with 3d modelling and so this is being quite a challenge and would like some help.
    [​IMG]
    This is the frontal view of the model(assembled, the model comes in 15 pieces with pegs and peg holes) in netfabb. Its height is 3.13 in., roughly the same size as buildmans and other glyos figures. It's design is heavily based on Warpath, with the treads on arms and feet and a giant cannon barrel on his chest(on frontal view it appears as a circle).
    So, before I order it from shapeways, I have a couple questions for the more experienced.
    1. The figure currently costs $26.81(for the standard WSF) in shapeways, which is alot more then what I would like to pay for it. I can't really make it smaller, as I do want it to be roughly the same size as other glyos figures. So is there a way to make it less expensive, while still be solid and the same size?
    2. I am new to 3d modelling, so do you have any advice on improving this model?
    3. How easy is it to paint or dye the plastic from shapeways?
    4. What mistakes have I made from a design PoV?

note: I can provide screens from other views, and will be uploading and updating this post for the side, top, etc. views. I will also update with screens of the un-assembled figure.
    edit:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

You need to hollow out the model, take out material and volume whenever you can. Just cut out whatever you can.

Also, it's easy to paint and due the WSF material with RIT dyes. You can paint the other materials.

For a design view, it needs a lot of detailing, and also a joints system. I'm worried mainly about the joints, as I can't see the joints and therefore can't tell if it'll work or not.

For the record, I've been working with Shapeways for over a year and made Chibi-Devs (robot in my sic pic), so I know what I'm talking about. If you do need help, I can take a look at it for ya.

3. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

[​IMG]
    Here is the figure in its un-assembled form.
    As for joints, the only joints are swivels from the glyos posts. It is designed to be interchangeable with the glyos system toys from Onell design, Callgrim, etc., so the lack of hinges or ball joints is intentional.
    Also, how do I hollow it out exactly(I am using blender)? And will it still be solid enough to not break easily?
    For details, I'm not quite sure how to go about doing, say, panel lines and such, do you have any tips on such?

4. Treadshot A1

As long as you have Walls of at least 1mm it'll be solid. I cans do it for you and run checks to see if it's Printable if you want.

I rarely use Blender, working More on Sketchup. In that I can do panel lines easily, Blender not so much.

5. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

Oh, if you could hollow it out, that would be wonderful of you. However, if at some point you could teach me to do it myself, that would be great-er. I'll pm you the model file, and I'll look in to sketch-up to see what I can do for added details.

6. ike_ike

ike_ike Autocon

the problem with shapeways is that there's a minimum order cost of $25, so you're gonna have to spend that much anyway. so you could either reduce the volume by a LOT and get something else too, or just shave off that dollar eighty one before ordering.

7. Treadshot A1

Underhead, i PM'd you about the problem i have. If you could get me what i need, then i think i could hollow it.