Heavy/Scratch: Shapeways: FOC Bruticus upgrade kit (more game-accurate)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by echotransformer, Jan 26, 2013.

?

What are your thoughts on how to release this kit?

Poll closed May 7, 2013.
  1. Get Shapeways done by Spring. Painting req'd, but it will be quickly available for all 5 FOC molds

31 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Take up to 1 year to design & release via 3rd party. I can WAIT so I don't have to PAINT.

81 vote(s)
    46.0%
  3. Do both Shapeways (release soon) and 3rd party. (KO's will likely happen but I want the original)

61 vote(s)
    34.7%
  4. I just want SOMETHING to fix my Bruticus--a low-priced knockoff is all I need

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

Will you be selling a version of the set with the tiny knee gun? I really like the idea of the Faux-cannon & I want to customize it a bit to make it a handheld gun.

2. Krommdor

Krommdor The Penance Stare

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The chest is so in your face and prominent, and i mean that in general about the FOC design. Just feels right to get a more accurate one to me, where so much is already inaccurate as is.

I'm afraid I can't go too nuts with additional parts guys due to expense...many of you may not realize how much this costs me... I'll do my best, but just keep in mind this is all out of my pocket unless by some chance the kit sells really, really, really well. (it will take selling dozens of kits to break even)

--Echo[/QUOTE]

And what you're doing is greatly appreciated. Hopefully the fact that most people have multiple Bruticus sets will help out.

Maybe splitting it up into multiple sets might help too. I can imagine some people only wanting certain pieces even. Hands probably being the big seller for sure.

3. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

**Another big update--READY TO PAINT!!!**

Thanks for all the comments guys...appreciate the support.

@Kromdor: yes, good suggestion, I will have a few different kits and different price points, much like I've done with Hercules.

@Warpshard: I can make the old part available, no problem. :)  In fact if you don't mind that it's loose (the snap didn't work as I planned) I can make it available to you on Shapeways in a day or two if you like...PM me if interested...

Okay, I spent ALL DAY working on this stuff...a bit on painting Herc stuff but also A LOT on FOC Bruticus. Here's where things are at.

ALTERNATE MODE

I assembled Alt mode and took pictures.

[​IMG]

Note that I need to tweak Vortex's back wings as the blades hit when they rotate...but they even look cool in alt-mode!

Here's another configuration:

[​IMG]

And here's Onslaught without the trailer:

[​IMG]

Again some work to be done but it gives you the idea.

Next up, I dyed many of the parts black. This is great because there's no paint buildup, and it looks really nice...

[​IMG]

Yum, parts soup!!!

[​IMG]

Dinner is served! (there are some Herc parts mixed in there)

Finally, I primed the parts I want to paint. Note that I extensively trimmed and refitted the waist piece, to see what it looks like smaller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, here's s 'straight wing' digital mockup....it's not bad! It's growing on me.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, I will paint it!!! But I won't be doing SDCC...I'll be painting this set for FRUITCUS and leave SDCC for version 2.0 ;) 

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Like breathing in sulfur News Staff

News Credits:
    nice! can't wait to see some painted versions

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    EPIC!

Straight wing all the way! It does what I think it should, HIDE THE HIDEOUS PURPLE CONNECTORS:lol  Anything you can do to hide those atrocious parts is a MAJOR plus--too bad those can't be hidden in alternate mode:( 

FOC Bruticus brows on me the more I look at this topic:lol  You know you're doing something right when that happens:thumb 

If it isn't too much trouble, could we see pictures of the ankle tilt in action next time you're taking pictures?

Oh, quick question: does Vortex's new tail piece hinder rotation in arm mode? It looks like it isn't an issue in your pictures there.

6. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    Sweet, I'm liking the last pic of the digi mockup chest piece! I'm still looking forward to those massive cannons on his back!

7. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

Agreed. The straight chest piece looks tons better and helps to make it look more like part of the toy and less like an add on. Also anticipating the cannons, the ones included look like ass and make me want to punch kittens with babies. Did the dye process warp the pieces at all?

8. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    That's awesome echo! Great work. I can't wait for the painted up parts. ;) 

9. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Vejita

Vejita Member

This is a great upgrade kit, but I'm not gonna buy it. Painting it would be too hard for a newbie, and the final result, if poorly painted, couldn't be good.
    I hope that a 3rd party would release this set 100% complete, to make possible to have a decent bruticus even for people unable to paint.

11. Cheem The Rup

Cheem The Rup Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm with you..... it's also weird that still there isn't a kit like this on the market :(  Anyway Echo you're a monster with this kind of projects, you gave me the opportunity to extend those Herc's legs and I'll thank you for life :p 

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is looking VERY nice. It's a bit amazing how a couple parts seem to really beef the guy up.

13. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Looks awesome!!! I would totally buy this kit if the price was right

14. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    For those of you who have 3rd party contacts, please forward it to echo. ;)  Thanks. ;) 

15. Krommdor

Krommdor The Penance Stare

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This right here is Perfection of the chest piece! And that slimmed down waist piece is looking a lot better too. Can't wait to see round 2 for real now.

loving this so much!

[​IMG]

16. idkwdya

idkwdya Well-Known Member

Everything is looking nice. Loving it.

But I do have one worry. About Brawl's foot. It does not look very stable or held together well at all. Is it more stable then it looks or will there be changes to make it look less hollow and more stable looking?

17. Neekotron

Neekotron We're in Ratbat Country!

News Credits:
    When you have finished this, I will be ordering. Absolutely love it!

18. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I'm interested in everything except for the shield for Blast-Off....i'm not quite sure what it is...is it from the game?

Fantastic job on the chest shield!

Oh, and the hands!

19. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've decided I like it better this way too. The final kit will be straight like this...appreciate all who helped me change it. And I'll always have the "bent" one for posterity, lolzzz!

No, the dying doesn't warp the parts...works like a charm.

Well what you're seeing there is the foot installed differently than I originally intended...I'm folding the cannons up instead of it sitting inside the foot. I have a new design for the different transformation, which will cover up to the front of the tank and adds a support rib which should help stability: see this picture:

[​IMG]

Thanks. :) 

Yeah, I'm going to rework the blastoff sheild a bit...it didn't quite work as expected.

Here's FRUITICUS, I will be painting him this week. Also a great chance to see the before and after...

[​IMG]

Thanks Daimchoc, Cheem, everyone...yeah, I'd love to do this third party but I don't have the money for tooling or anything...happy to talk to any TRUSTWORTHY interested parties but in the meantime it will at least get done on Shapeways....better Shapeways than nothing, right?

20. unlimited02

unlimited02 Well-Known Member

WOW! that looks awesome... i want two sets... 1 for my g2 version and my retail version... =D