Customs: Shapeways Classics Rodimus head

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by fabexmax, Jan 2, 2011.

1. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, I'm no 3d artist, but do any of you guys who are, think it woul dbe possible to design a bigger head for the Classics Rodimus that could replace the existing head, and be G1 accurate and fix the pinhead problem, but also be able to be transformable? What do you guys think?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Well, I have a fair few 3D heads made, so I can work back from 2D art to an actual head easily. However, I don't have the figure with me, nor the funds to get one. If you can give me the measurements (so give me length height and width) of the whole head, then I can draw the face and other details in from that.

Basically, just think like, "if I need to put this head I want into a square box, what's the smallest box that would hold it?" the measurements of that box are what I need.

Of course, without the figure I don't know if transformable is still an option.

Also, reference pics of the G1 Rodimus would help. Are you looking for a certain expression, cartoon accuracy or toy accuracy?

3. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just checked my Rodimus. A new head would fit, as long as its the same size. Otherwise transformation would no longer be possible, unless you dremel out some of the areas around the neck. As well, looking at the head, you might have to damage the original to remove it. Its not screwed in, or pinned. Seems to be glued together.

4. Treadshot A1

If making it bigger is not possible, then that kinda renders the point moot, doesn't it?

Also, if there's no pin or screw, then it's just glued over a capped pin, to make a swivel. You'd have to cut it open to remove it.

5. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Depending on which version of Rodimus you have, its probably not worth damaging him, unless its the RTS version.

I was planning to make a new head for the upcoming TFCC Sideburn repaint. But if the head is too difficult for most people to remove, might not be worth doing now.

6. Treadshot A1

Well, actually its not that hard to remove, you simply smash the existing head.

However, my suggestion both to Venksta and the OP is to make a Helmet. As in, think RM Star Saber's large head, it just fits right over the smaller head. While you would have to remove it for vehicle mode, for both Roddy and Sideburn, who will both likely be sought after in the future, this sign will mean you won't have to damage the existing toy. Plus, a helmet would be quite large, which should fit better with the Protector armor (I think, I dont actually have Protector).

Also, Venksta, make a replica of Sideburn's left arm, and have it attach to the front left wheel in car mode, so he can replicate the scenes in RID where he catches that girl by extending his hand while in car mode.

7. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn! The pinhead strikes again! FOILED! I was hoping we could Shapeway this!

[​IMG]

OMG, ok, what if... we took Treadshots idea about a helmet, and at least be able to make a better face/head for the Protector head?

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

A helmet could probably be made without too much problem. But squinting at my Hot Rod, I can't help thinking that his head is only slightly too small; slightly enough that it'd be incredibly easy to cross the line and make the result look too big. I think it'd be a pretty small margin for perceived error.

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've always thought the Hot Rod head was a bit small, but if you do a comparison with Universe Hound, the face is on par with Hound's face. It's the helmet that looks a bit small or narrow on the sides. I think if one could mod that and hollow out enough room for it to fit in transformation, that would be cool. Maybe even take it a step further and do it so that the head is on a ball joint and hollow out enough room for that also.

I'm actually tempted to try this with my Classics Hot Rod. Maybe a new helmet could be constructed (via Shapeways or scratch) that can fit over the current one or at least cover the sides a bit more and make the head more round like Hot Rod's noggin actually should be. Not sure if it's worth that much trouble though, even though it would be cool to see.