Customs: Shapeways & City/DIA/Shadow Commander faces?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Neekotron, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Neekotron

Neekotron We're in Ratbat Country!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I was wondering if anyone had attempted to make any face plates for the FP City/DIA/Shadow Commander head on Shapeways?

I know Dr.Wu has some faces for Rodimus coming, but there hasn't been any love for those three molds. Or has there and I missed them?

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had given it some considering a long time ago. Ultimately I decided that anything produced by Shapeways would not be good enough for something so small, detailed and visible like a face. I imagine it would take a fair amount of sanding, or several layers of paint, to match the plastic used by the Commander armors.

3. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's a bummer! :( 

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I'll chime in here and say that with FUD now being available, detail isn't a problem, and it even feels a lot better, not as obviously 3D printed.

Thing is, though, that FUD is expensive (though for something that small that's no problem). The only major issue I see is getting someone who has the mold to design it for you. Otherwise, I think it is plausible.

5. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Didn't someone post a teaser image of a dr. Wu city commander head a couple of weeks ago?

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, I've seen FUD in person, on a 3" t-rex, and it was ultra smooth and caught EVERY detail.

7. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Oooh golly, I can only hope there is someone that both has it and would be interested. I'd love to sketch out some ideas to help the process if anyone is up for trying?

I thought they had for Rodimus, but I haven't seen anything for CC or his repaints/redecos.

This is sounding even better!

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

If it helps, I've ordered a FUD Scanner Drone which is even smaller than FR's T-Rex, and the details came out spectacularly.

I'd usually offer to help, as i do take commissions anyways, but i'm afraid i don't have that mold. I'm not sure which of the other designers here do take commissions, though. :( 

9. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
  10. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well, maybe when the holidays are over with we could work something out, if you're interested in taking something like this on?

Cool, thanks Megatron31, definitely interested in what Dr.Wu may do. I wonder if he'll make a Prime/Shadow Commander face as well...

11. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm all in on dr. Wu alternative faces. The rodimus ones are on the way to me now but I'm duper excited for some new city commander faces

12. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I took my City Commander faceplate and resculpted it to look more G1 styled, with a bit of Studio Ox mixed in. Had these for sale for a bit, but never fully advertised them. I still own it and can do more molds once I get more materials to do so.

Here's a link to it and a few other custom heads I did and made casts of: Custom Head Casts | Facebook

These are solid headcasts, with no posts, ball joints, or holes drilled yet. I considered casting the custom City Commander faceplate and the custom faceplate I'm using on my Protector (came from the face of an Alternator, different from the others we've seen used). Just wasn't sure how the detail would turn out on something so small. Maybe I'll try casting those at some point, if there's any interest at all. I'd probably go $6 a pop on 'em, if I did 'em......$12 a pop for a full head cast.

13. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Ok, first you mention Studio OX, then you show off these amazing pieces of work... Dude! WOW! Liked your page, that album, and added your page to my page's favorites as well.

Those heads look fantastic. The Hot Rod head would definitely be an improvement to the FP Protector head! I'd love to see the face you have on Rodimus. Digging the Magnus as well!

I'd definitely buy a UM Face and if you're up for the possibility of making an Optimus/Shadow Commander face, definitely one for each of those two as well.