Customs: Shapeway Quality Control

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JavaJim, Sep 25, 2011.

1. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I've been ordering quite a few items from Shapeways lately. Many of the items were created by folks here on the site. With that said, I've noticed on the shapeways.com item posts that people have reported problems while others say the item they received turned out fine.

I recently made another large order of items, one of which was a set of swords at $15 each. They came in with the sword tips bent in badly (can't bend back properly), and one of them had a huge notch in the blade. I've contact customer support, but thus far I've not heard back from them. It's disappointing that they sent this item in the first place, but that haven't heard back even more.

Do you believe their cutting process is consistent? Have others encountered problems with their orders on Shapeways? If so, were you able to resolve?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

There is no "cutting process". They use additive printers, not subractive. That is, they DON'T start with a block and cut out what you want, they start with powder and then build what you want like microscopic lego.

Also, Shapeways has a +0.2mm on all their aStrong and Flexible prints, which is pretty damn consistent.

Every problem I've had, which are few and far between, SW has been able to resolve in one way or another. Be it sending another copy, or packing the second more securely, they've always come through. I can't recall a single instance where they didn't pull through in the end. The only time prints don't come out right is when there is something wrong with the model itself, which is likely what happened with yours. Even so, i've printed bayonets which are only 2mm across and edged, and they've come out fine.

I see no issues with SW's processes currently aside from their huge backlog in FUD due to one of their printers breaking down (or so i hear).

Customer Service does take a while to work, and they don't operate on weekends, so give it some time. Also, post on the forums and I'm sure one of the mods will be there to help you out. Anyways, Nancy and Duann have helped out a lot of people there from what i can see.

3. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Thanks for the feedback and info on the shaping process. Received an email this morning, so looks like I pulled the gun a little early in posting this thread. Never had a problem with your items that I ordered.

The problem was on the Leonidas Swords I purchased. The tips are VERY thin, almost paper thin. They were both bent the same way, but only one had the notch in the blade. Looked at the model several times and the model appears to be fine. Figured this was a manufacturing problem as they were both packaged separately but both had the same bend issue and in the same place. Will post an image of them shortly as Shapeways support have requested an image as well.

4. Treadshot A1

Well, if the swords are thin, then it might be a model problem. My Swords are all made thick enough to be self supporting in any orientation, so I know they'll work. Not sure aboud Leonidas, though.

Just out of pure curiosity, which of mine did you order? I'm always interested to know what survives printing (which should be all of them afaik).

Edit: just read you post in Deka's thread. Thanks a lot bro. :) 

5. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    No problem, thanks for making them! Going to look great with my WFC guys (my personall favorite model forms). Already ordered the null ray set, which I believe was yours as well.

Noticed you had a multi-item set up for the WFC class items, but it looked, from the models, to be the older model forms, so went ahead and ordered them separately so I could get the latest model styles.

6. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

i've started looking into making shapeways creations, its good you brought this to attention =)

7. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    From what I've seen, Treadshot's and the guy that made the Thugger Twins have the best Targetmasters / mini-transformers available on Shapeways.

8. Treadshot A1

You mean Fakebusker83? I'm not aware of any gun robots belonging to her...

The only designers I know of who do make transforming robots would be:
    • Treadshot A1
    • Fakebusker83
    • Ramrider

In no particular order. Of which I'm only aware of gun robots coming from the first and third, though I could be forgetting a design. Everyone else just makes weapons or accessories.

Also, some guy used to make a Space Ship transformer call Redshift, though I forget his/her username. Not even sure if he posts on these boards. Redshift went through many versions iirc, I think version 7 was the latest I saw (don't quite me on that).

Can i make a suggestion? Like, adding something to the title like "problem solved" or "issue fixed" just so people don't get the wrong idea about SW, whose customer service is one of the few that are still good.

And on a more personal note, JavaJim, I'm led to believe your order has been put through, since SW emailed me about some models today and they match exactly what you said you'd bought. Hope it goes well for ya. :)