Shane McCarthy Talks Drift Mini-Series

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Well, I dunno. Bludgeon seems to get by, when he's not a tank at least.

3. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Drift may be kinda "meh", but at least he one of the few TF's who ACTUALLY knows how to USE badass swords as deadly weapons.... :D 

Samurai Bushido Drifto-san! :D 

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Hey, Drift is getting backstory now! Awesome. I personaly think the character is cool (I do like turncoat characters), so I'll def. be looking into getting the complete 4 issue set of this, regardless of the quality.

Oh, and the toy. I can't be a Drift fan if I don't have his toy.

5. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I kinda wish they had done this FIRST.

As it is, our first introduction to Drift was 'This is Drift. He's a badass who uses swords, has tattoos, is deep, insightful, yes has a dark past, can take out Decepticons twice his size, and has deep connections to an ancient and mystical sect of Cybertronians so ancient and mystical that we've never even heard of them before meeting Drift. The very next issue we meet him, he's somehow earned Kup's unshakeable trust, and has become a pillar of the Wreckers.

If he sparkled in sunlight, he'd fit right in with Twilight's main characters.

The difference between a Badass and a Mary Sue is often in justification. When we first met Drift, all of his interesting development (Joined Decepticons, had change of heart and turned, was taken in by ancient sect, trained, gained his swords, etc) had already happened, and we didn't get to see it. So it felt like we were being TOLD he was awesome. Then they dropped him among some of the most venerable characters in G1, and ones that the fans agree ARE awesome because they earned it. And suddenly THEY think he's awesome too, and we never got to see the transition for that, either.

Honestly, I think Drift would have been a far more interesting character if they had started at the start of his story, with him as a disillusioned Decepticon, and gone from there. At the very least, I think we'd all be more forgiving towards him.

6. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    You nailed it, man.

7. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He can do what he likes to Drift, but nothing I have read of McCarthys so far makes me want to hear this sentence from him.

It sounds like there couldbe repercussions from this afterwards.

8. PowerEncarnate

PowerEncarnate Mad Trucker

News Credits:
    I think this will be the first IDW comic I've gotten in a long time.

I think the concept of his character is a good one. Even though I haven't been reading this storyline, it seams to me that they have been leading up to this from what I've gathered. He was suppose to have a shadowy past, and to be honest, its true with all of the transformers. Think back to the original G1 cartoons and marvel comics, we didn't know what events shaped these iconic characters into who they were. the story of the beginning of the great war hasn't even been told yet. All we know for a fact is some snippets of information about each characters back story. Over time we got more and more information. its kind of the same thing. Drift is liked because he showed his true colors when it really counted. I think less people would be interested in the character if they had given us the whole story right from the beginning. There would be no drama to it, no questions that draw the reader into the story. "Who is this guy?" "Where does he come from?" "What really happened to him?" "If we keep reading maybe they will tell us." I'm sure these and more questions were on allot of people's minds when he was introduced. I think it was, while risky, a smart move on the part of IDW.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I hope this is not the "mystical angle" explaining Drift's swords that I heard about awhile back.

I'm not sure we need an explanation why he uses swords, since a lot of TF characters supplement their ranged weapons with swords or such.

I think you're looking a bit too deeply here. It's just marketing.

Somewhere, I believe Chris Ryall said that they wished Drift to be "IDW's Wolverine", which, if this was actually said, seems rather presumptuous. Wolverine took years and years to get as popular as he did. Besides, Transformers already has their version of Wolverine: Grimlock.

10. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What mystical angle??? I haven't heard that theory yet.

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Shane McCarthy really should not be let lose on another comic, I think Drift wouldn't be nearly as hated if he'd been put in and handled by a better writer.

12. jasonw

jasonw Well-Known Member

What like Furman? Yawn.

I really enjoyed AHM and I'm looking forward to this.

In-fact if it wasn't for the dodgy artwork, after reading that Thundercracker issue, I'd be really enjoying te ongoing too. Actually I just realised IDW might actually be doing stuff I like. Damn.

13. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nick Roche. I still don't get it, why they didn't put him in LSOTW.

14. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Wow presume much, I could have been talking about nick or the guy from the on going. Furman is well past his best, still beats Shane hands down though.

If AMH is anything to go by this will be 3 issues of standing around talking about the plot in such away more than half the readers don't get and the 4 will be all action with dialog so bad it actully made my eyes hurt to read it.

15. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Screw Drift and Shane McCarthy.

That's all.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can't wait to find out what Drift's third MEGA-AWESOME SWORD of MEGA AWESOMENESS is and what situation could possibly be dire enough for him to actually use it.

WHAT SITUATION COULD POSSIBLY BE DIRE ENOUGH?????

The only thing cooler than two swords is three swords.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    not this shit again.

18. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well supposedly, he got them from the mysterious third faction, and his third big two-handed sword is soo powerfull he only uses it in the most dire circumstances (he hasn't done it so far, not even in AHM and things looked pretty bad there).

Frankly, I'm only glad this is a mini-series, because if Shane is let loose for 12 issues, he gets lost. Maybe he will be able to tell a more-or-less cohesive story in 4 issues. It is 4 issues, right?

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Eeh, Drift carries too much baggage with him now to ever be given a fair hearing by most TF fans.
    Why is it I read this bit and immediately thought of Drift drawing his third sword and yelling 'By the power of Grayskull!'?

20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or "Kamehameee!!!"