Shane McCarthy - Death and Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SilverOptimus, Sep 21, 2010.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Transformers has always been about a war, and in war there are casualties so I can see what he is aiming for with his work.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Wasn't Furman basically known for killing off a ton of TF characters every issue (especially in G2)?

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Who'd he kill off? Drift?

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While I agree with sentiments like "it's obvious that there would be casualties in a war" I tend to feel that writing off characters is an easy and overused dramatic go-to for writers. I like when they can come up with their oohs and ahs by more creative means.

6. MaxGoof

MaxGoof Preordained Soul

News Credits:
    The fuck?

Who did Shane even kill off??

Other than Sunstreaker (Who's not dead) and Hunter, I don't even remember anyone getting killed!

7. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Scrapper. People are annoyed that it means that Devastator is pretty much written off.

8. VictoryLiger

VictoryLiger Well-Known Member

I know he killed my interest in the comics off a while back.

9. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

It's Comics! No one dies forever!
    For me its less about characters getting killed off & more about piss poor storytelling:rip 

10. DisThunder

DisThunder Just got here.

News Credits:
    That IS kinda annoying. Devastator gets used in what, AHM? and that's it for him?
    -til the inevitable "oh, I forgot he's dead, there he is combining" mistake.

11. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Haven't you ever seen Scrappers twin brother, Scuffler? He'll be along soon, and he's gonna be piiiiiiiissed ;) 

12. iLuvM3

iLuvM3 Me, Grimlok, King!

i don't see how people can act offended to the casualties. I can understand them being annoyed about how Decepticons have suffered the most while Autobots have suffered minimal..but for that go watch the original 1986 movie and see how many Autobot bite the bullet. I hope this third, and final installment leaves a lasting impact with Transformers dying, not to just die but leave a lasting impact on the viewers like the Optimus Prime death scene was in the 1986 movie.

13. jasonw

jasonw Well-Known Member

Mike Costa killed Scrapper, not McCarthy. I did think it was kinda dumb tbf.

I haven't read Drift yet, so don't know who he killed. Although just seeing Shane's name on a comic is enough for a vocal minority to have a go by whatever means they can.

Strange as AHM got a bunch of people I know BACK into reading TF comics. It does seem most of these people are Furman fans and blame McCarthy for the way IDW treated Furman's run at the end.

Of course that was down to IDW not McCarthy, but when did facts matter on the internet.

14. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    McCarthy didn't kill Scrapper. That issue was written by Mike Costa.

Of course don't let the truth get in your way. Fanboy rage always trumps the truth.

15. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No.. Scrapper's twin brother is Buckethead. :D 

16. Leo Primus

Leo Primus Well-Known Member

Go read Drift #1 guys. Electro and Gobots were both killed off there. Such major characters can't be just killed, y'know.

17. CorporateZombie

CorporateZombie Great Odin's Raven

Were these characters that were killed off ever going to be used as a focal point in a story? No? Then why does anyone care?

18. Rollcage

Rollcage Dance Commander

There is so much to be learned from Prime's death in the animated film. If you're killing important characters off that people love you have to do it right. Nothing pisses people off more than a stupid death scene, except for maybe a stupid resurrection scene. Prime's death was awesome, his return was...lacking.

19. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Oh come on...whos getting annoyed...its not like they killed Prime.

oh wait they did...like a bazillion times
    even before the 86 movie how many times did prime get killed in the comics only to have his mind save on a floppy disc orstuck in a computergame or other such nonsence

I think the insinuation was that he kills Drift off anyway...why else would it potentially annoy Furman?

As for Scrapper being dead, it doesn't kill Devastator...it only kills the part of devastator that was Scrapper. Devs is/was a gestalt..not just a joining of bodies but of minds too whos to say they won't gain a new 6th who changes the look of Devs and changes the personaily a bit, whos to say its an existing transformer it could be someone new for a change or someone unexpected like a deserter from the autobots. Hell we might get a G1 version of Dirtboss from animated for all we know

But as everyone knows..no ones ever really dead in comics

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Shane didn't kill off Scrapper, that was Costa. Obviously, most of you haven't read the new Drift comic. It shows Deadlock killing off some G2 guys. In and of itself, a Decepticon killing Autobots is fine. But, this boils down to the case of "bad writer with his own mary sue character killing off obscure guys cos G2 was totally lame and Drift is totally not lame!!!" It's the same as when Cy-kill gets killed in every cameo he makes, the writer thinks he's appealing to fans but he's actually just being a meathead with old jokes.