Shaky Camera?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Sso02V, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Am I the only one who really wasn't bothered by the so called "shaky camera?" I honestly don't think it was as disorienting as other posters would have you believe. I will say that the camera was shaking, but it just seems to me that instead of sitting there, arms crossed watching it and saying "it's shaking too much, this sucks," that energy could be applied better by just paying closer attention. I only noticed one instance of the camera being just too shaky, and that was when Bumblebee and Barricade were fighting, but that could have more to do with the fact that it was nighttime than how much the camera was shaking.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was not bothered by it either.

3. adam-x

adam-x megazord activate,,

It didnt bug me, honestly I thought this was done so it didnt seem so fake. Hopefully in the next film, the fights will not do that a much.

4. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I loved the shaky camera at some points in the movie (desert scene). In the next movie during the main battles I would like less shaky camera though.

5. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It made it seem more realistic, kind of like you were there.

I liked it.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wouldn't have minded if there was more shaky camera. Not like %50 of the entire film, but in the theatre, it seemed so real.

7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I dont think it was too badly overdone, but it did bother me a tad.

8. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Shaky camera was fine, it was the motion blur on the robots that bugged me. I have no idea why they did that, considering that the cg was dead-on realistic when the robots were standing around in any light.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I wasn't bothered by it, in fact I love the technique use, when done well like this for the 'war and chaos' feel it provided, this is a WAR going on right around us out of nowhere, they were just everyday vehicles. It's a film technique used in other such war movies for the same hectic chaotic feel. Normandy beach war scenes in films would probably be less emotionally invoking of the sheer chaos without it as well. Now that the stage is set, and the scope has been shown, it will probably be lessened in its use. There's no need now, cept in direct scenes that call for it. (Grimlock going berserk in a city for the first time as example, or the sheer awe of the first gestalt laying waste to an army of autobots. Or space craft launches or entry for scope when near, or first appearing, like the ark crashing on earth.)

10. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I think it was more of a combination of things including the shaky camera of confusion, rather than it by itself.

11. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    The shakey camera Techinque hasn't bothered me since I've watched, Gladiator
    The Shield (they call it frenetic camera shots)
    , and Xena: Warrior Princess "To Helicon and Back." Nope they didn't both me a bit when I watched the film, I honestly thought it made the action sequences a lot cooler.

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I can understand that, but even the confusion helps play into the chaos aspects for use. They were trying to give you scope and feel from the human perspective of this war, the utter chaos of these ordinary things becoming giant beings raging war out of nowhere. But eh, either way, no need for it in TF2, we've already seen scope now.

Is it frantic, ferentic, or frenetic? I always thought it was 'frenetic camera use.' It's been too long since I've been in those classes. If yours was just a typo, my bad.

13. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

Eh, I couldn't see what was happening during 'bot-battles because of it. I also disliked how they used it in office scenes; it looked like they were in an earthquake (and I'm talking about the scenes far from the action.) I guess it's a good thing that they used it, though. Otherwise, there'd be nothing to hide the occasional bad camera angles or awkward break in the action... Yeah. Despite how the movie turned out, Mr. Bay still isn't a very good director.. :p 

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I hated the shaky cam. Lots and lots of detail in the Transformers were just kinda blurred away, and to me that made a very detailed and intricate 3D model a total waste, if I couldn't even see it properly. Plus Frenzy...er, I meant to say Flimsy was nothing more then a silver motion blur.

15. MeGrimlockKing

MeGrimlockKing Combining is for sissies

I can understand everyone's "Well, it's war and war isn't smooth" argument for the shaky camera...but come ON. If I want REAL war, I'll re-enlist and head back over to Iraq. I wanted to see Transformers fighting, and what I got was Bay's shaky-camera technique making battle scenes confusing and hard to follow. The shaky-camera just doesn't work for designs as overly-busy as the movie TFs.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i wasnt bothered

i like shakey camera [worked especially well on the scorponok attack in the village]

true i got confused in a good bit of the action scenes but that wasnt cuz of shaky camera. the camera just wasnt zoomed out enough to take the whole scene in [bumblebee VS barricade for instance]

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It didn't bother me in the slightest. Also, I had no problem at all making out what was going on.

18. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only really started to get bothered during the battle with Brawl and Ironhide and Ratchet protecting Sam. But apart from that, I was fine.

19. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I too had zero problems seeing what was going on and also had zero problems with the shaky cam in general.

20. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The first time I watched it, it bothered me. But the second time it was fine.