Customs: Shade of blue?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I wish to repaint a TRU reissue of G1 Silverstreak into his former Diaclone Bluestreak.
    I'm still a rattle-can user, and I need to find a blue that will match the Diaclone blue as close as humanly possible.
    What color blue should I use for this project? And what other important details should I be aware of for converting Silverstreak into Bluestreak?

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    check out mine i did in the customs section, just search for him. i used testors but mine was brush applied. and as for other details just use your imagination! its a good toy and very easy to customise with very few rub spots or chance of chipping! have fun!

3. Tigertrack

Okay, I found your's, but it's not the same mold that I want to use. I want to use the G1 mold. I plan on getting a few G1 Silverstreaks and repaint one into the Diaclone blue, and a custom red version.
    Need to know what's the best shade of blue in rattle-can form.

4. nellie131

News Credits:
    ah ok my bad didnt see the G1 - damn hangover!

anyways id say go with testors or tamiya? i think they are widely available and cheap? the blue i used was testors metal flake blue over a black base coat

5. Tigertrack

Black base coat? I use an awesome black primer called Armory Black Primer. Goes well over just about anything. Seems to me though that would make the blue too dark. I don't think the blue on the Diaclone figure is that dark, more like a nice medium blue?

6. nellie131

News Credits:
    yeah it did make it slightly dark but i thought it looked good. i use krylon camoflauge ultra flat black. if you used a silver base coat it would make the blue more medium

7. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name