Minor/Repaint: SG/Wheeljack Botcon slicer minor repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SCORPONOK80, Sep 18, 2011.

1. SCORPONOK80

SCORPONOK80 Well-Known Member

hi guys,

My project is coming along really well so far, as you can obviously see in the photo i have modified my Generations Tracks with Generations wheeljack parts to created either; Shattered Glass wheeljack or Botcon slicer.

BUT!!! I have a big problem, I have on idea how to remove the flames from tracks legs, I am currently experimenting wiht Paintaclean whcih came out horrible and T-Cut for cars.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm also planning to make another for EBay.

Attached Files:

2. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

Use rubbing alcohol, 70 or 90%, available at most drugstore chains. Disassemble the legs and leave the parts you want cleaned to soak over night, then just rub with paper towels. Don't use it on clear plastic, however, as it weakens the plastic and causes to crumble very easily!

3. SCORPONOK80

well paintaclean does seem to work but it left a red smudge as I used a older bottle i will see what they have in the City tommorow.

I'm also gonna give him some nasty giant guns and spikes for his wheels. I plan to use as much of wheeljack as possible.

4. changy

changy Well-Known Member

I use nail paint remove it take a bit of work but it's worth it

5. SCORPONOK80

can i paint over it? I'm going to re-paint the legs red/black anyway would that work?

6. SCORPONOK80

bugger i melted my tracks again... I need to replace his front piece, i was attempting to remove the pin with a candle and it melted some of the plastic.

I really need all the help i can get with this figure, how do i remove the pins? safest easiest method possible also is it really necessary can i just repaint the white bits i have black tamiya paint gloss and spray paint.

Has anyone got a spare tracks upper toros they can lend me? I really badly need one. with no head preferably

7. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Don't use nail polish remover. It will melt the plastic if you are not very careful. Alcohol will take longer but it will be far less damaging in the end.

8. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Use a soldering iron to heat the pins and then use a hammer and punch to push them out. Just be careful to not heat the pin too much because you will melt the plastic. Not good.

I just finished my Tracks the other day and had as many of the pins out as I could get. Putting them back in is the fun part.

9. SCORPONOK80

Update

I fixed my tracks its ok now i had some spare parts i used. i'm leaving the legs till i get some Rubbing alcohol and other bits. I'm just making him two large guns from my wheeljack/tracks sidearms. There going to either be gold or italian red spray painted on.

I will attempt the soldering ion method. I'm rather paranoid about melting it though. For the arms/shoulder pins I put the soldering ion onto the large sides and the little pins the rough side?

I did try using boiling water to remove the pins this did loosen a bit but not as much as i would have hoped.

I'm also going to make another one later on in the year i have spare tracks/wheeljack know.

Also i will post my spare parts onto EBay.

10. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Use the very tip of the soldering iron to heat the pins and then use a hammer and a fine point punch to knock the pins out for the ones that both sides are exposed. For the pins with a head. Heat them up with the iron and very carefully wiggle them out. Make sure you don't heat them too much or you will melt the plastic parts that hold the pins in.

11. SCORPONOK80

I will try that on my wheeljack body as a test, I might leave the white parts.

How about stickers as an option instead of painting them on? I know about Repro labels but they don't do them yet...

12. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

You could always experiment in Photoshop and try to make your own. If you don't have it, you can always download a free trial.

13. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Ya, movie 1 Voyager Starscream... now with battle damage...

14. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  15. SCORPONOK80

That is what i want to do exactly

Yes thats it perfectly, except with my version i am going to give him two big guns and some blades for his wheels. I may make a new spoiler out of Styrene as i have loads from when i did my Melee weapons for bludgeon & co.

16. SCORPONOK80

i got some Mistral Isopropyl Alcohol 70% Rubbing Alcohol Today. How exactly do I apply it I don't want to mess the plastic up in anyway.

17. raptordriver

raptordriver Well-Known Member

Leave the parts you want the paint removed from in the alcohol for a while. Sometimes just a few minutes depending on the paint. I leave mine overnight. It will not damage the plastic, but the paint wipes right off with a paper towel. For the groves, I use an exacto knife or a beveled set of tweezers to remove the rest of the paint.

18. SCORPONOK80

Ok I got to go to work a 3-11 so i will test it out before then, I must remember to take it out though.

19. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Just be extremely careful with any clear plastic. rubbing alcohol will seriously jack up clear plastic for some reason.

20. SCORPONOK80

Works!!

I tested it it works!!!
    I just foolishly used sandpaper to remove the remaining paint which left some nasty looking scratches.
    I think i needed to leave it for much longer. I'm going to try again tonight and wait till afternoon to get it off i have two more tracks to use anyway.