SG Collect City Commander Upgrade Kit

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by TM2 D-bot, Apr 16, 2009.

1. TM2 D-bot

TM2 D-bot Forsight Into the Future Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys I finally got my kit in the mail. I took some detailed pics and would like to share them along with my thoughts.

Head:

[​IMG]

First off, yes this is the "supposed" new cast head. The detailing on the helmet is actually quite good with well defined grooves and recesses. The front section of the helmet is actually painted by brush stroke and it shows. The face is another story alltogether. It looks horrible. It has too much detail sculpted in which makes the whole chin seem melted. His "smile" isn't well defined and the curves of his lips are lopsided. His nose is too small and skinny while his eyes (which are painted a similar shade of blue as the helmet) are too bunched in. As it is, it seems someone sculpted the helmet and cast it, while the face was done elsewhere and added on later. This can be seen in the head's peg hole in which the face is casted white and glued to the blue casted helmet.

Needless to say I won't be using this head on my CC.

Launchers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First we'll start with the missiles. Both have surface cracks and the fins are unevenly cast. The cuts on the stems (which go into the launchers) are uneven and have to be forced into the launcher holes. These holes are also unevenly cast and instead of being circular are blob like, so you can imagine the chore of first getting the missiles in, and later making them stay in position.

The launcher pegs which attach to CC are in translucent plastic. Again they are unevenly cut, causing one of mine to pop out of CC's shoulders every once in a while. Like the helmet, detailing is really good, but the plastic itself is highly porous and sometime sticky to the touch. Because of this stickyness dust and other particles will stick on the launchers quite easily.

Since both missiles and launchers have casting issues on the holes and stems, they appear uneven, and can probably be easily broken because of the brittle plastic (on the missiles particularly).

Rifle:

[​IMG]

Again, nicely cast and detailed with molding and recesses. It's made of the same sticky plastic as the launchers and some parts appear rough especially around the edges. The barrel when cast seems to have bled over making the end over the bullet exit a plastic uneven blob.

Verdict

[​IMG]

Not worth the money. You can actually get G1 missiles cheaper on Ebay and probably modify a G1 rifle to fit as well. Both will be better cast and less prone to breakage. The face cast is a joke, rendering the whole head useless.

2. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow so glad I passed on this.

3. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They should be ashamed of themselves.

4. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    God the results look awful, thats some awful casting.

5. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Thats just lame....:( 

6. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, aside from the fact that the head is prepainted, it looks like this set was designed for someone with modeling skills who would clean up the parts and paint them. The problem is, the castings are really horrible and sloppy, and if you're describing anything as sticky, then that means they're using some terrible mold release agent, or don't have their resin mixed properly. With some filing, putty, sanding, and repainting, the gun and launchers look like they could be made presentable, but that head is just something else. It looks like they're using a really low quality resin, and the head is suffering from along of resin shrinkage, which explains the poor finish on the face (aside from the shit sculpt) and the bowed surfaces on the helmet. Resin isn't really supposed to shrink, so they must be using some really cheap crap (again, possibly explaining the stickiness).

7. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Such a shame... they should go talk to Darkov (Radicons) He does superb casting and repros! Have Grifftith (also Radicon, HoS Prime) sculpt a head and have Darkov do the casting. That would be right.

iDD

8. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Wow, what a POS. Easy F-.

9. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If anyone here wants further closeups of each part let me know and I'll post them up.

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    wow. what a pile of shit.

11. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please, no more pics..

12. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    man that sucks. Yeah I did jsut exactly that. I modded my G1 gun and used my G1 launchers. I jsut dont understand why anyone would want to mess with the look of Fansproject's stuff. The head sculpt of CC is not bad at all. In fact it is great. I dont see the problem. why bother to fix something that doesnt need fixing?

13. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    That looks bad enough to demand a refund.

14. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got the Shadow Commander heads the other day and they're actually not that bad. I use the side with the mouthpiece/faceplate so it looks more like Nemesis Prime/Scourge. Now I just need reprolabels to come out with a Shadow Commander set.

15. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol 

I actually just wanted the kit for the launchers and gun. The head never interested me, and I was further put off by what has to be done to swap it eitherways.

I was told this head was from the same cast as the new Shadow Commander ones that had begun shipping. Eitherways, David sent me another head so once I get that one I'll also give you guys my verdict.

16. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Really. I happen to like the CC head, very much in fact. It's a good "classics-like" update IMO.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Good, GOD, what a POS. How the hell they have the gall to charge for rubbish like that is totally beyond me. I hope they don't try doing anything else.

18. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Especially when you compare it to what some board members are making here, especially Darkov and Nato-Bot. Both are sticklers for making ONLY quality parts...or not make them at all. They would NEVER release something that looks that bad, no way.

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Holy shit, that is an abomination. I could have molded those pieces out of clay- by hand!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  20. TM2 D-bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeap, that's why Nat got an order from me for the Animated OP ax, Roadbuster upgrade, and future business for the Dirge upgrade kit :thumb 

Darkov I'll be using for some seeker null rays :)