Seven Samurai Remake

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Optimus1986, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Terrible idea! All opposed, say...I...

2. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

They did that already, it's called the Magificent Seven. And if you please, a link.

3. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    NO. GOD NO.

The original is such an amazing movie, it doesn't need to be remade again. There's nothing new that a remake can bring to the table, and they've re-imagined it twice. I can't speak for The Magnificent Seven, but Samurai 7 did it spectacularly.

Also, seconding the request for a source.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    As far as remakes go, Magnificent Seven was a great way to transpose the story from Feudal Japan to the American Western, a genre for which Kurosawa had a lot of love and respect. Both films are great, although Seven Samurai is a deeper, more complex and rewarding film but you must invest in the near four hour running time, some background on the era helps too (so you know how big a deal it is when Kambei cuts off his topknot to save the child from the thief) but the Magnificent Seven is a great western and very easy to watch. Plus it has Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn and Eli Wallach, whats not to love?

As for remakes, it depends on who owns the rights. It would be okay if a good talented Japanese director was going to do it, the film is practically a national treasure and would be treated with the reverence it deserves. Even in the US, you'd be hard pressed to find a director who'd not heard of it or was ignorant of its affect on subsequent films.

That being said, I say Hells No, keep your hands off it, and source please.

5. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What they should be focusing on is cleaning up the original and releasing it on Bluray.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    No one seems dumb enough to do a flat out re-make but you can fill a truck with movies that bite the story.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heheeh Bug's Life.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This thread was done in the first reply.

10. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

If it's not the original story then it's not really a true remake, only a re-imagining. Such as Samurai 7 (a closer re-imagining. Just swapped bandits for robots and made it a bit longer) Magnificent Seven (the closest re-imagining done while changing the setting). Plenty of other just plain knockoffs have been made. But I wouldn't call this a remake any more than the Magnificent Seven was.

A remake true to the original script with better cinematography would be great. The original while a great movie was sometimes difficult to watch due to the film making of the time. A lot of scenes are incredibly dark and difficult to make out because a good deal of it seems to have used only the natural lighting, and that was in an era that even footage shot in daytime needed extra lights for the film to pick everything up.

I wouldn't mind SOME special effects. Close ups on sword collisions for instance. But that's the extent of it. But for now I'm happy with Samurai 7.

11. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

This. I really hope Criterion does so this year, I'd jump at the chance to own a really cleaned up version of this (only have the first Criterion dvd release now, so it'd be nice to upgrade).

12. Mr. Sinister

Mr. Sinister Cat + Sinister = TROUBLE

What they should do is set in in Burma and cast Sylvester Stallone as the lead. He has to lead six mercenary samurai into a threatened village to...

... wait, what?

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    "No guns? You ain't changing NOTHIN from the Seven Samurai."

They also did a sort of future feudal/cyberpunk anime remake of the Seven Samurai called Samurai 7. I didn't see all of it, but it wasn't bad, really worked well with some of the characters, but had a number of anime cliches in it as well.

Also, a seven samurai video game set in the far flung future, but let's not talk about that.