Seriously, where is all the criticism coming from? (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by red00wolf, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    It's an indicator of nothing more than my opinion of one movie compared to another.

2. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

typo...i had to get rid of a few Quotes that got multi quoted by accedent when i first wrote that up, i went ahead and fixed it

3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    the negativity suprises me for this movie, it was awesome....it will blow over after people keep nitpicking at the movie, hating things that shouldn't be hated.....oh well i'm going to see it again tonight, so i will solve the mystery of R2-D2 (if it hasn't been solved already)

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Touche!
    :dunce 

5. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kill Bill? I stopped reading right there.

6. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    this thread fails, and will soon implode on itself.

7. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Agreed. It's the dumbest thread ever and anyone who has enjoyed any part of it is an idiot who's never seen a good thread.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I just want to say, I'm in love with you Poho.

9. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    um, no holden mcneil. the fanbase was never united. every time something new has come along, the fanbase divides further. have you fogotten TRUKK NOT MUNKY? pokeformers? gimmicks? or more recently teen titanformers? just because we can see the lines now doesn't mean they weren't there before. the hatred/love is no deeper, it's just more obvious right now. in about a years time, it will die down again only to flare up upon the arrival of the next franchise, which like all others will "ruin the series forever!"
    the fanbase will never truly unite, and never has been united. in that sense we're just like the trekkies with some swearing by TOS, others by TNG and others still by the numerous franchises it encompasses. you get some people who univerally like the whole brand, but there is always division.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's Spiderman 3 and Indiana Jones 4 all over again.

Some fans want it to be the greatest film ever so badly they will gladly go to war with the "haters" and the mean old critics because if we can just silence the dissenters then everyone in the world will love the movie with all their heart. Fight long enough and loud enough and maybe everyone else will over look the flaws.

On the other side you have the people that just want the series to end so they don't have to deal with it any more. Doesn't look they have any chance of ever getting the things they would like so lets kill it now and maybe in 10 year we will have better luck with a re-boot. Perhaps we can silence those annoying "defenders" the film franchise will die already and Bay will go off to film something none of us care about.

After an attempt at defending Indiana Jones 4 I've learned you just have to let things ride out. We can scream and yell at each other all day and all night, we can call each other the most horrible things in the world, but in the end the most hard core "defender" or hard core "hater" will not influence the larger general public.

But the fights are fun to read so lets enjoy them while we can.

11. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I would have to agree with this.
    I thought TF: ROFL was much, MUCH better than Bayformers, and I really did enjoy it. But it's far from a cinematic masterpiece imo. I have few negative things or thoughts about the movie.

12. Coolyfett

Coolyfett Well-Known Member

When are your prediction for the negative post to blow over exactly?

13. Beliskner

Beliskner New Member

I haven't seen it yet, but the negative reviews make me question if I want to see it. Some of the stuff in the movie that I'm hearing about really bothers me. I suppose I eventually will see it, but I can certainly wait a while

14. Coolyfett

Coolyfett Well-Known Member

You SHOULD see the movie, BUT get your moneys worth, wait for the DVD that way you can have repeated viewings with out breaking the bank. They all ready made 70mil or whatever so they really don't need your support to stay a float. just wait for the DVD.

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    if your looking to nitpick then yes youll find wrong stuff, give me any of your favorit movie and I will nitpick thourh it and find faults with it. I can find faults in anything as criticial loved like The Dark KNight to the old masterpieces like the Godfather and so on.

All movies has faults in them, no movie is perfect. I can bash LOTR if I wanted.

I chose not to unless it is really really bad ( see Texas chainsaw masacre 2 here for example).

the movie works perfect for what it is, a transformers action flick. Sure not all like it, that is the way it is with everything else, see animated, unicron Trilogy, G1 and comics and so on. But to start topics like oh my god Soundwaves voice is wrong, Prime is the evil, I hate this movie because Devastators bot dont become robots first then combine. that is nitpicking and just looking for faults.

I usually stay away from the movie part of this forum because here is so much negativ energy and fault searching is ridicules sometimes.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

You should see it. If only to find out what you truly think.

Now to the main point of this thread.

I've often seen those who are defending the film (which is something they love) infer that we who were less than impressed with it as demanding Othello with robots. This is a comparrison that has been so overused. it in itself has become parody. I'm not expecting Transformers to be the next Citizen Kane or the Shawshank Redemption. As always, I use Terminator 2, and Aliens as my action film yardstick (and they apply doubly so here as like RotF they are sequels).

It is at this point where I feel RotF is a bit weak compared other such mighty company. As a villain, the Fallen seemed ineffectual despite having some rather impressive powers because to me, levitating a few tons of rubble, tanks and other impressive hardware is no small feat. These powers (as did his teleportation) seemed to desert him the instant Optimus Prime appeared.

And now to some of my least favourite things of this film: starting with the behaviour of some of the human characters. Sam was an oddly egreggious offender here as I felt his treatment of Bumblebee to be just a bit dickish considering how well they established their relationship in Movie07. As for his rant on 'Oh I just want to be normal', sorry sunshine, not gonna happen. You're too deeply involved to just walk away.

Also, I can only assume the helicoptor that ferried Prime's dead body back to NEST's New Jersey base were not NEST themselves, as this is the only explanation I have for their immensly disrespectful and callous treatment of Prime's body by just dropping him from a great height to hit the tarmac. Then to top that off, the civillian head of NEST tells them all to pack thier bags and bog off, referring to Optimus as scrap. I understand this is largely the Prime fan in me, but I was rather hoping for the dead leader to be treated and defended in death with a bit more dignity and feeling than that.

I know this next part will see me flamed to oblivion but yet again the climactic battle, despite a good end, still largely felt like the US Armed Forces riding in because the Autobots can't handle it. I think we lost a chance for the Autobots to show their human allies what they're made of here. We could have given each character a bit of an opportunity here to really get down and dirty and fight.

Those are the things I felt most negatively about this film. The other stuff like Simmons' banana hammock, Devestator's MASSIVE BALLS, the twins and Mojo domming Frank were annoyances but nothing a skip button doesn't fix when watching at home.

This isn't to say the film has no good points: it has several. Optimus Prime is kicking arse and taking names as befitting his position. Lennox and Epps have evolved from being a bit bland to interesting people who interact with the incredible on a daily basis and Simmons of all people, went from unlikable douche, to a good guy to hang with. Even the SAS captain, who has maybe ten lines in total, saying "Cover Optimus!" like he meant it: he sounded like he wanted a friend or fellow soldier made safe, and not just a peice of equipment covered up. Ron Witwicky is now my favourite member of that family. He honestly sounded like a man who felt he was about to lose his son and he conveyed that well.

This film has faults, nothing new about that. Maybe some of the negativity is overblown, or maybe some folks were just that disappointed. Either way, the negativity isn't unexpected and to be fair, is not unwarranted.

17. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    this is a logical and well thought out statement.... are you sure you're on the right forum?:lol 

18. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Massive negativity!?

Well, aren't we all just negatively geared. I have to apologise then. I swear I will never have an opinion again. :rolleyes: 

19. NFossil

NFossil Well-Known Member

Well, I just fail to understand many stuff that people are criticising about ROTF, so if someone could kindly tell me...

How is the plot absent or difficult to understand or bad? For me it was easy enough. Cons want to blow up the sun for energon, Bots stop them. It's all told by Jetfire. It might only be a plot used to tie action scenes together, but it's a plot nevertheless, a very TFish plot suitable for a TF movie. I do not think action movies don't need a plot, but I can clearly see what the plot is and I disagree with people saying the plot isn't there.

How is the acting bad? Aren't actors supposed to do what people will do under certain circumstances in the movie? I would shout when it's noisy, like on a battlefield. I would run away when things are exploding around me. I would probably look crazy when I see symbols inside my head. The actors did the same, and looked convincing. Because this is a movie with lots of these scenes, they often act this way. How does this make them bad?

How is dialogue bad? I agree that there might be too much swearing, but besides that, the characters talk like what regular people would say in the appropriate circumstances. Heck, you probably would shout "RUN" instead of "I came, I don't want to be here, I RUN!" when things get hot.

How is characterization poor? Huge, lumbering Devy didn't move like sleek and agile Arcee or Sideswipe, not to mention Jetfire or Twins. Dialogue is not the only way to express personality, IMO.

20. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Fans complain. Regularly & at the slightest provocation. That's all there is to it.