Serious Internet Problems...HALP

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Poho, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Our internet was cutting out on a regular basis. Our computers would say they were still connected, and the modem would have all the lights on, but there would be no internet. So we would have to reset the router/modem to get it working again. Got tired of this, so called ISP, they said it was definitely the router and not their service, so we just said whatever and decided to suck it up.
    Then the internet started getting slower, and slower. It's now almost impossible to even watch youtube videos. So we got a new router/modem, got it all set up and everything.

Same problems. Very slow internet, and it randomly cuts out.

What could the issue be? The router is currently in a bedroom sort of tucked away in a corner with a whole bunch of wires; could that be the issue? Or does our ISP just suck? Or did we just happen to have two modems in a row with exactly the same problem?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is it a wireless router? Is there activity on it when no one is using it? Maybe someone is stealing your signal.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. Cheez Doodle23

Cheez Doodle23 Plastic Crack Club Member

News Credits:
    If it's a DSL service make sure you have inline filters on all of your other telephone jacks in your house and that they work properly and that you do not have one on the DSL line in to the modem. If you are missing any inline filters or have some that do not work properly it could be creating static in the line that's causing data collision/errors, which could explain the slow/no internet connection.

4. Poho

News Credits:
    It is wireless, and one of us is always connected in one way or another. Just set up a new network with a new encryption, too, so I don't think anyone is stealing bandwidth. As for filters, we don't use any other jacks for landline phones or anything else. We only use cell phones

5. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Could be electro magnetic interferance - I had to move my router a while back because of very, very similar issues. Try relocating it somewhere with less machines, or changing the wireless channel to something else so it doesnt clash with the environment. ( google should be able to provide more specific instructions.). It may work for you (sadly, it seems mine will never work, despite my best efforts relocating and channel changing.)

6. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Everything said above are all good points. Best thing to do is to turn the wireless off and test the connection with only 1 hardwired device and if you still have issues contact your isp while using the isolated hardwired device. I also recommend trying another jack because a jack can go bad. Other than those to things i have nothing else that can be added that you should try.

7. Poho

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks bros. We also just upgraded our service, which starts tomorrow at 6PM. I'm thinking that that may also make a difference. if not, i will proceed as advised