September 11th - Five Years Later

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I can't believe it's been five years.

As the majority of us are Americans, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot about this throughout the day. Regardless of what you believe happened that day, or whatever views you might have about it, if you see a cop, or a firefighter, or a member of the military - take a moment and give them thanks.

At any rate, for those who don't have it, my 9/11 video created a year after:

9/11 Tribute (35.2 MB)

(also posted on YouTube here for the people who said .wmv doesn't work)

2. subterfuge

subterfuge Member

hi
    even i aint american, my heart goes out to all ya'll victim & families that was affected by that tragedy. lest we forget. god bless america.

by dedication via my blog can be seen here.

cheerios

3. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    I was just watching that last night...

Still one of the most awesome videos out there.

4. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Still couldn't believe it's been five years...:( 

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Seems like it was just yesterday. Will still seem like that 10-20plus years from now probably. It's something I would've never imagined happening too any country.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    It really doesn't feel like 5 years, does it? My thoughts are with everyone who lost someone.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My heart goes out to all who lost someone on 9-11. And my love goes out to all those who worked so hard to help after those events.

8. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I feel the same way, and that's a good thing-- we shouldn't forget something like this. What really scares me is the likelihood that it'll happen again, and it'll be worse-- there's been an Al Qaeda code word that's been found in some intercepted stuff-- "American Hiroshima"...

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, it's really eerie that 5 years have now passed since that happened. It was such a unfathomable "What the hell!?" event that it's hard to process its place in history now.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True. It just stunned the US for a few weeks. Then we united as one and chose to go after the SOBs who did it.

11. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i agree. the years may have radically changed my views about what happened; but i know that shouldn't stop me from honoring those who, essentially, sacrificed themselves to help their fellow man that day. something we can all agree on.

12. rednec0

rednec0 Member

truly agreeable that we did go overseas to open-up a can of whoop-ass. those bastards in the al-q...whatever need to be destroyed. a sad sad day for those who lost there lives on this fateful day five years ago and all my prayers go out to all who suffered. that video brought me the tears i so wished i cried then. congrats :')

13. Jux

I saw a headline the other day about how the kids born around 9/11 are now approaching kindergarten.

That set me back for a moment, sort of put it in perspective.

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was up in New York in July, and it just still feels weird there. Especially when you get close to ground zero. People are so cautious and very wary of everything now. And it still feels like something is missing there. I don't forsee ever feeling the same when in NY.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Holy crap, you're right.

I'm going to try and avoid going political here, but, in my opinion, the late '90s through to 2000 was about as close as the United States has gotten to real regular, domestic "peace." Based on what I've learned about American history (yay government & history teachers for family), America's only had a similarly blissful period around the '20s.

I guess the thing that saddens me the most about that is that those kids Jux mentioned will now grow up in a world where terror is this omnipresent threat to...well...anyone anywhere. It's amorphous, it's difficult to pigeonhole terrorists based on appearance or attributes, and the psychological affects of terror have, well, succeeded.

We're scared. Maybe not every day, and not everyone in the world may have the same fear, but it's there. And that sucks, compared to the years of "slow news days" and comparitive peacefulness of the latter half of the '90s.

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't know if the impactfullness of this event will ever fully go away. People will forever remember this day for one simple reason. The name of the event is 9-11.

I bet most people can't remember what day the OK City bombing happened, or Pearl Harbor.

Just something I thought about the other day when putting the whole thing into perspective.

17. Jux

You know, it's odd. People our age (meaning roughly early to mid 20's) grew up with all of these big events that made a mark on our lives. It's interesting to see how it's affecting the next generation of children.

I was in 7th grade the day of OK City. I'll always remember sitting in my friend's house watching the footage, not really understanding what had happened. I was alone with my ex-girlfriend when Columbia was destroyed. I was on a school trip driving through Denver when Columbine happened. I was driving to class when I first heard about 9/11.

All of these events have bookmarked themselves through our lives, forever changing the way we view the world. These events were the Pearl Harbor for our generation, and I can't help but wonder what will forever change our kid's generation.

18. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I think about that too. It will only get worse. Look at the Challenger explosion. It was pretty tramatic for me. I saw it as it happened during class. My teacher just fell apart in front of all of us.

But we all understood that it was an unfortunate accident. Kids today are exposed to how dangerous man kind can be. and it isn't a unified army with a ruthless dictator. It is on an individual level. Kids are taught that pretty much anyone at anytime has the power to cause destruction and chaos. That is sad to think about.

19. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I can understand that, though I'll always remember April 19, 1995. it was two days after my mother's birthday. And especially remember December 7th, 1941. My grandfather was there at Pearl Harbor, and he still tells us stories about it all the time. If you can ever get into a conversation with a Pearl Harbor survivor, do it. The stories are amazing.

20. funkatron101

Ebay:
    The closest I got was talking to a guy who was older enough to remember it. Coincidensely it was about two days after 9-11.