Customs: Separated paint?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Facemeat, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I bought a Testors acrylic paint set yesterday, and it looks like most of the paint has separated. I shook a few of the containers and it looked like most of it mixed fairly well, but the Glossy Yellow, and especially the Glossy Blue, are still pretty separated. So, does anybody have experience in mixing separated paints? Should I open them up and try to mix them with a brush, or just return the whole set (I'd rather not do this since I won't be able to get another until Thursday)?

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Shake'em til your arm is sore & then give them a good stir with a toothpick (or something to that effect).
    You should be fine after that. I'd only be worried if you see chunks of dry paint in the bottle.

3. Facemeat

Thanks for the tip. I just tried this with the yellow, opened it up, started using it, and shortly thereafter found out the consistency of it is only slightly thicker than water. I think I'm just going to have to return the set, which means no more customizing until Thursday. :( 

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

We know there's paint thinner, but isn't there/shouldn't there be paint thicker? That sucks man, I hate getting weak paint.

5. Facemeat

Yeah, this wasn't a very good first experience. I was working on a Spychanger/Gobot Hot Rod and start applying the yellow paint and it nearly ruined the whole custom. :(