Minor/Repaint: Separate PotP Optimus and Orion Pax

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by prime roller, Jan 4, 2018.

1. parrothead

parrothead Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the one that worked would be soooo cool.

2. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    No, I just used pieces from what I already have. A mix of real Lego, fake Lego, Kre-o, etc. But all you really need is the head connector. The rest (my red pieces) can be built however you like. I did try to make the Lego fit their backs, so there wouldn't be any Lego pieces sticking out visible from the front.
    image.jpg

Those... are odd. I'm not sure if real Lego even has those exact pieces! But the other, more common, piece in this picture should work. The pieces I have are 5 stacked bricks high, but 4 high would be fine too.
    image.jpg

Actually, if you just leave the screws out (don't store them in the holes like I do), then yeah, you just slide the Lego out, and pop Orion back together without the screws.
    For combined robot mode, you need to take the Lego C-clips off Optimus' neck and reattach the head. The Orion bits will stay on good enough without the screws.
    For truck mode, same thing -- stays together well enough without the screws. Reattaching the Optumus head is optional, but better because the grey neck piece will cover the hole in the top of the truck.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ha! Yeah some of the shit fake Lego I've gotten is hateful. When trying a new fake Lego brand name it's real hit or miss. As is, with my hodgepodge of pieces, when I'm looking for a piece I can't just take the first one I find -- I need to find all of that piece I have in that color, and then see which fits better, is the same shade, is actually molded the same, etc. Glad to have lots available on the cheap for custom stuff though.

• Like Like x 6
  3. prime roller

News Credits:
    Or for truck mode, instead of reattaching Optimus' head -- solution: Lego again.

Take these pieces from Orion's back:
    image.jpg
    Put them together like this:
    image.jpg
    And slide snugly into Orion/Optimus's cab:
    image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. artimus prime

artimus prime SCALE Debater that collects multiple TF lines TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This is a great idea.

5. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Why would you even do this? All you've done is turn one good two-in-one figure into two fully separate pieces of garbage.

6. Walktehdinosaur

Walktehdinosaur Get over yourselves.

News Credits:
    Think of it like this, two pieces of garbage is better than one piece of garbage.

Nicely done, I love the creativity of using the Lego pieces, it looks really nice.

• Like Like x 5
  7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, just when I'd convinced myself to pass on this one - you made it a 2-for-1 sale.
    Amazing work, clean tutorial & clever ingenuity - this a win all-around.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Well-Known Member

Both bots can go back to factory mode in an instant, so all he's done is open up some cool new display options. Chill bro.

• Like Like x 4
  9. prime roller

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the comments everyone, yes even yours scrapmetaru. I was hoping when I tried this that it'd be possible, and then when it was so easy, and the Lego fit so perfectly, I thought others might also be interested in being able to display both Orion and Optimus at the same time. Glad others seem to dig it. Please post your own variants up, I'd really like to see.

I wish the same could be so easily pulled off with Rodimus! But I think we're gonna see some interesting parts swapping after Rodimus Unicronus is released.

With the Lego piece filling in the top of the truck cab:
    image.jpg

And here's a bonus 'Matrix-Blast' gun turret because just because:
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. hotwhilz

hotwhilz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure with more interests, someone would use your idea and turn it to profit on shapeways. Great innovation on the bits man. I might take a knack at it.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This is friggin amazing. You're a genius!

12. Randym2002

Randym2002 Well-Known Member

So they make a robot to go inside a robot because a plane Jane transforming robot is old ?
    Did I miss something.
    But pretty neat transhacking your bots..!

13. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Can Orion rotate at the waist? If so, maybe you could make up some sort of weird looking Cybertronian truck mode. That would definitely sell me on this just for Orion.

14. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Yeah, well, but by that point you pretty much undid the whole mod.

15. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love it.

16. maxxzander

maxxzander Well-Known Member

how does he look in truck mode?

17. prime roller

News Credits:
    If you mean Orion transformed with the Lego back filler in, you get this useless thing:
    image.jpg
    Pictured a few posts ago, I used some Lego from Orion's back piece to fill the hole in the top of the truck, and simply popped the two halves back together without the screws. Locks on with the tabs for transformation.

This is basically doing what RazorclawX says:
    Yeah, you're right, this is just undoing to transform as per normal, just without putting the screws back in and filling the hole in the top of the cab. I didn't actually mod anything, just made easily removable Lego add-ons. Just happened to luck out with Lego compatibility on both parts of the fig after test fitting a few pieces.

I suppose a 3rd party company or something could make a piece that has a cab front and wheels... but then, why not just use the original cab and wheels piece? I guess if you still want Optimus in robot mode while Orion is in truck mode something like that would be needed. Unless you're happy with the alt mode pictured above, Ha!

Take those three screws out and test fit some Lego. You'll see how easy this was to do. Dumb luck that I didn't have to actually custom make any parts. The Lego pieces really do fit quite well on Optimus' neck (c-clips), and in Orion's chest cavity from the back (3x2 brick).

As for the bits I used, would you believe I purposely used those ones just so I could get this derpy face going on?
    image.jpg
    No, I wouldn't believe me either.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is excellent.

19. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Because I don't want an Optimus styled vehicle mode, I just want this for the Orion Pax. I was thinking of using Orion's chest as his vehicle's front end. It looks like the legs can't fold back that way, but I wonder if something can be made up with this.

20. prime roller

News Credits:
    I just tried a few things with it and came up with nothing good looking. There's no waist swivel, so when the chest becomes the windshield the legs are on the wrong sides. I swapped the legs at the ball joints to have a look, but still, the shoulders are on the outside, the chest windshield is too high -- looks pretty wonky, the A-stance feet don't work this way in robot mode, & something would have to be done to give him some front wheels. I think the easiest solution to give Orion a more cybertronian alt mode would be to replace the Optimus cab-front piece that I removed with a whole newly designed Cybertronian truck front -- which Id love to see as an upgrade kit, instead of just jam some Legos in there like I did! Ha.