Sentinel's Death - Poetic Justice

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Redsport68, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Redsport68

Redsport68 Member

So, over the course of the last six months, there have been countless points about what Optimus should have done at the end of DOTM, whether he was "in character" with killing Sentinel, who Megatron was talking to when he refers to Prime, etc. Well, I just watched DOTM for hard telling what number of times now. Three things that FINALLY dawned me, and I apologize if these have been in other threads. There have been so many it's been hard to keep track of. All three deal with what I consider poetic justice.

1. Sentinel shot Ironhide in the back at the NEST base, which of course was arguably the biggest shock and biggest insult to Ironhide (and everyone) at the same time. So, at the end, Hobo Megatron comes out of nowhere and shoots Sentinel in the back just before Sentinel is able to kill Optimus. Karma back at ya.

2. On the bridge at the end of their fight, Sentinel tells Optimus that Optimus was the bravest of them all but he was never able to make the hard decisions. Well, whether anyone likes the result or not, the choice for Optimus was to let Sentinel live and deal with possible repercussions in the future (knowing his attitude, his power, his influence, etc) or to "end it once and for all". Knowing how Optimus feels about Sentinel and about life in general, and how, in the past, he had chosen not to kill unless it was necessary (battles, wars, self preservation)....the hard decision is to end the threat once and for all. It goes against everything he had stood for in the past and was the no dobut the most difficult for him to make. Well, he made it. And I think that's what surprised Sentinel the most and you could see it on his face prior to his death. He NEVER thought Optimus would kill him; he thought he could talk his way out of it and reason with Optimus. Well, after all that happened, decision made.

3. The other "at the end on the bridge right before Sentinel is going to kill Optimus" moment; Sentinel talks about being Gods once and that there will only be one. The assumption is that he is talking about the fact that there will only be one Prime. Looks like he was right, just not the outcome he thought :) 

So, three things on a Sunday night that I see as poetic justice. Just curious, what's your take on it?

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Not poetic justice I don't think, but there is also the very big example of unleashing an army of Decepticons to slaughter an entire city of innocent people. "The time has come for the slaves of Earth to recognize their true masters." Sentinel got what he deserved.

3. witek

witek New Member

Hi there, Speaking of death prediction, I find it really odd that one of the on-line death prediction services showed me the same death date that I was foretold in my dream about a year ago. FIND OUT YOUR DEATH DATE - I can`t explain this coincidence in any other way except that there must be some kind of magic involved here.

4. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    welcome to TFW2005, mr. poster-with-only-one-post. i believe we aren't allowed to post about stuff like that on the boards.

5. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

Kruger should be kicking himself for not making an actual character arc out of this.

6. SavageThunder

SavageThunder 11th Doctor's Huntress

i think sentinel got what he deserved! For killing Ironhide, id make sentinel die 10,000 horrible deaths! :ev: (i mean realy! who would kill my favorite triggerhappy moron?!)yes i think that is very good poetic justice!