Sentinel Primes, WTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Mar 29, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Transformers have changed color schemes before but not usually with every single new incarnation of their character. Optimus has occasionally not been in his normal red and blue.

War Within Sentinel Prime was yellow.

Animated Sentinel Prime was blue.

Movie Sentinel Prime was red.

Transformers have also changed their appearance entirely but mostly they are all homages to some other version of their name sake. Megatron is really the only character to excessively not homage himself except in Animated when he was a homage of the Movie who turned into a homage of G1.

Out of the 3 Sentinel Primes you'd be hard pressed to tell they're suppose to be new incarnations of the same character sense none of them look anything alike. And oddly enough this is probably the one character that I can say without hesitation I like the movie version more than the others... at least in design not in personality.

Finally, Transformers have also been know to change personalities with new incarnations of their character though they tend to keep some personality traits that are the same.

From what I hear of War Within Sentinel Prime all he does is die at the beginning of the comic to make way for Optimus to take his place.

Animated Sentinel Prime is a jerk who thinks he's better than Optimus and has an irrational fear of organics.

Movie Sentinel Prime is a jerk who likes Optimus but betrayed his own people and tried to enslave the human race.

Well if they have anything in common it's probably that they're all jerks though I can't confirm that War Within is also a jerk like the other two.

So I think Sentinel Prime is the most inconsistently portrayed character in Transformers... Unless you can think of any characters that are even more inconsistently portrayed.

Megatron I'd say has a spot at number 2 because his designs are all over the place but he's consistently portrayed as the Decepticon leader so that kinda disqualifies him from number 1.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That's because they're not the same character.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    You've also got the WFC Exodus Sentinel Prime.

And the sad "His full name is Sentinel Zeta Prime" BS explaination on why there was Zeta Prime in the game and Sentinel in the book.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally agreed.

From what I hear, they wanted Optimus to have a jerk peer in Animated. He was originally conceived as Rodimus, but Hasbro didn't want Rodimus to be a jerk. So they designed a new character and gave him the name of another Prime.

Totally independently, the character who became SP in DotM was conceived as Ultra Magnus. I don't think anyone KNOWS why this was changed, but presumably it was a combination of two things.
    1) Hasbro really seems to want to get away from the Animated idea that "Magnus" outranks "Prime."
    2) They didn't want Ultra Magnus to be a genocidal maniac!
    Despite his use in Animated, "Sentinel Prime" was a nice convenient name to throw on the character.

Now we've got a bit of a pickle. The Sentinel Prime name was used to designate Optimus' predecessor in (late) G1, but now "Sentinel Prime" has twice been associated with jerkness. So we see WfC's "Zeta Prime" get an EXTREMELY last-minute name change, and IDW seems to be adding Primes by the bushel too (though their SP was already a bit of a jerk and very dead). I feel like Sentinel Prime is going to be tagged as "the big evil Autobot" in the wake of DotM.

But it's all worth it, as that was a great fake-out.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    That one barricade was blue and white and this one is black and that one brawl was green and then khaki and then green then grey and then purple and then green again and now he's grey or green or SOMETHING!

If anything I think I prefer dramatic reinterpretations of the characters outside of the few iconic ones. If changing their colorscheme can better fit the new interpretation, I'm all for it.

6. SaberPrime

Sorry, that was badly worded but you should of been able to figure out what I meant to say within the context of the rest of my post. :p  Anyway, I edited and reworded that sentence you quoted out of context. Is that better?

7. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    What he was saying still stands. The characters ARE different. Just look at animated Optimus Prime, Movie Prime and Transformers Prime: Prime.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Meet Ironhide:

G1 Red

[​IMG]

Energon Red White and (mostly) Blue

[​IMG]

Superlink Purple and...Yellow? Tan?

[​IMG]

Movie Black

[​IMG]

And needless to say, none of those characters are ANYTHING alike, personality-wise.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ha! Someone beat me to posting Ironhide pics. Don't forget RID Ironhide.. :D 

10. SaberPrime

They're different incarnations yes. G1 Optimus, BW Optimus, RID Optimus, UT Optimus, Movie Optimus, Animated Optimus, and Prime Optimus are all different characters but they are all incarnations of the same character. If they were entirely new characters they wouldn't share a name and likeness to a character that already existed.

I was talking about the different Sentinel Primes as the same character in the sense that they are all based on the same set of ideas not in the sense that they are literally the same character.

I think Ironhide is a bit more consistent. Energon Ironhide probably stands out the most being an Ironhide only in name. Movie Ironhide actually has a very similar personality to the original he just looks nothing like him and the idea of him being a Truck was first introduced with RID Ironhide. And Animated Ironhide is a direct homage to G1.

There's also a toy only character of BW Ironhide who is 1/3 of the American Magnaboss toy. I'm fairly sure the only version of Ironhide to be part of a gestalt team.

There is one thing all the versions of Ironhide have in common besides their name. I think that's actually because of the name, they're all "tough guys" which you'd probably expect from someone named Ironhide. I think, besides the fact that his head is visible in vehicle mode, that is the main reason Energon Ironhide is hated so much sense he's the only version of the character that doesn't fit his name. Though in his case the "tough" aspect may just refer to his vehicle mode rather than his personality.

In any case don't forget to account for all of the criteria. Not just for one thing. I don't think Ironhide really qualifies as being inconsistent. Though if we were going on design alone he'd defiantly be in a top ten list some where.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Then why did you include Animated? Animated Sentinel is not based in any way on any of the concepts of other Sentinels.

We'll disagree here. I don't see any similarity in their personalities whatsoever.

You're also conspicuously ignoring Micron Legend/Superlink Ironhide, who I did list in my post. He's not inconsistent with the others? He was a Destron tank.

12. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Well, I do agree with Saberprime about movie Ironhide and his G1 counterpart. Different voices they may have but both versions of Ironhide were always eager for a fight. Plus, they both have a short temper, preferring to shoot and ask questions later.

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Not looking for "hey wow look at you" points, but there was also Armada Ironhide, who was a blue version of Dune Runner, and a girl, if memory serves me.

14. SaberPrime

His name is Sentinel Prime so yes he is.

Someone else already posted a reply to this and I don't really have anything to add so moving on...

That would be because he's a Japanese character and although I've never seen him in that particular color scheme in the states that would be Demolisor.

Transformers tend to have different names in different countries and trying to link American characters to Japanese characters is just too freaking confusing... except in the case of Energon Downshift... or Cliffjumper depending on if you go by the toyline or the cartoon... in that case sense the American version can't even make up his mind what his name is it's easier just to go by who he was in Japan and who he's obviously a homage to, Wheeljack.

Anyway even if I counted him that doesn't really change how over all inconstant he is. He's defiantly in a top ten list some where, don't get me wrong. Ironhide is fairly inconsistent. I just don't think he meets all the same criteria as Sentinel Prime.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That means absolutely nothing. EVERYONE in those movies was always eager for a fight.

Tell me, how do you differentiate Movie Ironhide's "personality" from Sideswipe's? They are both badasses who are always eager for a fight and don't get much dialogue except for a couple one-liners each movie, and neither of them think too highly of humans. They are like the exact same guy. And neither of them are anything like G1 Ironhide.

16. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Oh by the way, Armada Ironhide (no japanese release):
    [​IMG]

17. SaberPrime

Where did you get the idea that neither of them think too highly of humans? They both work closely with humans. Ironhide even ended up being friends with Lennox as he was seen at the end of the first movie taking Lennox back home to his wife and daughter and then working with Lennox at the start of RotF.

I don't think Sideswipe had as close a relationship with a human as Ironhide did but he still worked along side them in NEST. The only humans either of them really didn't like they had good reason for not liking, they were jerks. Except Ironhides line about eliminating the parents but he also stating "I was just joking."

Oh and in the one liners you mentioned, Ironhide at one point directly quotes a line that was common of his G1 name sake.

Actually now that you mention Sideswipe he might actually qualify as an inconsistently portrayed character. G1, Armada, and Movie each have totally different designs, color schemes, and personalities. They're all cars which is the only thing other than name that they have in common with each other.

Scourge is another one I could mention. G1, RID, and Cybertron. I don't know what made me think of him but yeah, he goes from a purple space boat to an evil Optimus Prime, to a freaking Dragon. And that doesn't even include what G1 Scourge was before Unicron upgraded him.

Well... he's red... I think that's all he has in common with G1 besides the name. Mini-cons just beep and get thrown into the background, it's hard to tell what their personalities are. I still think they have more in common than some of the others I've mentioned.

Like if you look at Megatron/Galvatron. His designs are all over the freaking place but...

G1 and Animated Earth Mode share similar designs.

G1 and Energon share similar designs.

Beast Era Megatron was actually more consistent with his designs than Primal was even if it was only his face that always stayed the same. Except for Grand Maul Megatron but that thing was designed to look like his control harness so that's still a sign of consistency.

Movie, Animated Cybertron mode, and Prime all share similar designs.

And they're all the Decepticon leader. Even though, RID, Armada, and Cybertron have little to nothing in common design wise with their other counterparts he's still fairly consistent most of the time. That's why I don't really count him as being one of the most inconsistent.

Ironhide similarly seems inconsistent but is actually more along the same lines as Megatron/Galvatron. Every incarnation has to be totally different from the last to be considered for most inconsistent. We can agree to disagree about Movie Ironhide and his other incarnations but he does have his Animated counterpart which is a direct homage to G1 that keeps him from being the most inconsistent.

Oh... I just thought of another one... Sideways. Though Armada and Cybertron both share a side switching gimmick that would also... JUST BARELY... disqualify him. Plus the toy only RID version who is also a motorcycle, I believe, with the same color scheme as Armada.

18. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a bit like saying Cybertron Mudflap and movie Mudflap share the same concept because they have the same name. Or G1 & PCC Mudslinger, or G1 & Cybertron Sky Lynx. I could go on.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Armada Ironhide is a she.

Even Soundwave, one of the most iconic characters, has gone through color changes, though whatever mold he ends up in usually gets recolored in his G1 colorscheme at one point or another.

Megatron has gone through an ASTOUNDING number of forms and colorschemes, given he's present in nearly every series and toyline and is one of the most enduring characters of the franchise. Galvatron, much less variance, but even then there's abberations. Look at RiD Galvatron, for example. It's also important to remember that many "galvatron" repaints are meant to be direct callbacks to the G1 character, even if the Megatrons they're based on are somewhat removed from G1 Megatron.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  20. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, I think the only character that suffers from an inconsistency that's been mentioned in this thread is Sideways, since all TFs who share that name actually ARE the same character, with the possible exception of the movie one (there is really no proof that states he's the "real" Sideways, though I like to think he is). His Cybertron form is a pretty big departure in terms of personality from his other forms, though I chalk that up to Hasbro's insistence on making Cybertron connect with the other two shows, which is what made Noizemaze Sideways in the first place (Sideways being the target for the human children's Home Alone-esque antics didn't help much either). Another mention should go to Alpha Trion, since as one of the 13 he is also supposed to be more or less the same character throughout the multiverse, yet Shattered Glass is about as opposite from the original as you can get (which is the point, of course). Although Alpha Trion's situation is really just an unfortunate side effect of a retcon.

In pretty much any other case, Transformers sharing a name with a past character can be used as a direct homage to that previous character (Optimus Prime, Megatron, etc.) or an homage based on a similar position in the continuity (like Sentinel- all versions of the character were either Optimus's predecessor, or in Animated's case holds a similar though possibly higher rank. Another constant is the fact that Sentinel and Optimus often have different ideas on how to lead). Still other name shares are the result of a simple name drop, possibly to protect their rights to the name or just because they feel like it (such as Ironhide, Sparkplug, Perceptor, Knock Out, Reverb, etc.).