Sentinel Prime or Ultra Magnus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Mar 11, 2012.

?

Sentinel Prime or Ultra Magnus?

1. Sentinel Prime

80 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. Ultra Magnus

19 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Don’t know

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Don’t care

12 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    As most people recall, the main antagonist of DOTM was to be named Ultra Magnus. But this was changed to Sentinel Prime.

What’s in an antagonist’s name? Nothing to those who don’t know/care who these characters are, but to those who do it’s the difference between Optimus Prime’s contemporary/mentor and his best friend. So which one would have sounded better?

2. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Well... RID Ultra/God Magnus started as an enemy to Optimus... until he turned into an Anti-Hero.

And what about if he was Vector Prime from Transformers Cybertron? I just saw the first episode and his design reminded me of DOTM Sentinel.

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/6/64/Vectorprimeut.jpg

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think Sentinel fits the bill better, because Sentinel has always been Optimus' predecessor [though very rarely his mentor], so him being his mentor fits like a glove here, while Ultra Magnus is [usually] more of a contemporary of Optimus.

It also helps to not cause Nerdrage, because if it were Ultra Magnus, the Internet itself would BLEED with complaints on how they ruined Ultra Magnus' character and name, Sentinel is a safer bet, since he had no permanent character traits [he was a excessively armed generic Prime in G1, an asshole in Animated, a jerkass General Ripper on WFC, the only thing that remains constant is that he's higher ranking and/or older than Optimus].

4. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I chose SP, mainly because UM being the traitor would not have worked, IMHO.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime works better considering his position as a former commander.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime since they turned a loser jerkass into a magnificant bastard.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Sentinel. The father figure just feels like a better fit than the brother character.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It fits better as Sentinel Prime. Magnus has always played more of a younger brother / successor role to Prime.

9. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    I liked Sentinel, and agree that Magnus probably wouldn't have worked since he's more of Optimus's contemporary. However, had they used Magnus, we wouldn't have to worry about the continuity errors with the Fallen's whole "The Last Prime is dead..." crap.

So, I got nothin'.

10. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

Ultra Magnus is one of my fav characters. And I would not want to see him as what Sentinel was in DOTM. So Im happy they didnt name him Ultra Magnus.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I pretty much agree with what everyone above me has said: I prefer Sentinel Prime. There's just that connection for the audience between "Primes" that automatically puts the thought into their mind of "Oh, this character's gonna' be awesome! He's a Prime!".

The only reason that I would prefer Ultra Magnus would be - as jru pointed out - the whole plot point in RotF about "THE LAST PRIME IS DEAD!". I mean, yes, there's always the explanations about how Sentinel could not be detected by the Fallen or whatever, but it still leaves some questions unanswered in the movies on that topic. They don't really address it in the movie, and going by the movie alone, it is sort of a plot hole (even in my movie-defending opinion). Really, if only to answer that plot-hole in the movie, I'd take Ultra Magnus. But then again, neither the movie itself or many audience members seemed to notice or care, so meh. :)  So Sentinel Prime it is!

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime works way better and makes more sense.

13. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I agree.
    A good idea, and the Sentinel was mentioned briefly in ROTF, I have then payed attention to this name.

14. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    optimus is the last prime though (theres no more primes after him) maybe the fallen meant that

15. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Huh. I never actually thought of it that way. That's good. Like, he's the last in the lineage. I mean, I always assumed that The Fallen just didn't know of Sentinel's existence (and that's how I wished away that plothole), but having Optimus as the "youngest"/"no more Primes after Optimus"/the dynasty ends with Optimus also makes sense.

16. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ultra Magnus has always laid himself and his life down for the Autobot cause, while SP has done this also, UM has always been the more noble, 1986 movie and TFA for examples he fought until the presumed end. SP looks after number one, TFA and to an extent IDW Megatron origins, he was that worried in protecting himself with his armour Megatron took him apart and in WFC he was fully concerned with hiding than acting as leader, TFA he aldo hid from things and promoted himself as leader as would SS, he's an oportunist to look after himself so taking all that into account SP was the better choice as name and character.

17. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    That or Maybe since sentinel was in stasis, fallen could not detect him or didnt saw him as a potential threat due to his current state back then

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Sentinel was technically dead. He was out of Energon. So that's why the Fallen could not detect him.

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

"His levels are faint." doesn't mean completely out of Energon, or else Ratchet wouldn't detect anything.

20. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

If Magnus was in Sentinel's role, I think a lot of fans, including me, would be outraged, even more so than already.