Sentinel Prime is a wonderful creation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rewatching scenes from the film for the umpteenth time, this time in crystal clear HD, I am even more in awe of the tremendous special effects work, but most of all of Sentinel Prime. He is without question one of best designed Transformers ever, and sets the standard for movieverse style intricacy. His face is capable of so many forms of expression- during his revival scene, his eyebrows cock, he smirks, and he shows confusion just as effectively as a human being. ILM really outdid themselves in emoting the character, when he above all needed that emoting.

Which gets me to the second point of this thread, why Sentinel as a character was a terrific thought on the filmmakers' part. DOTM really worked as a sequel because of raised stakes not only with the Decepticons' master plan (which, unlike in ROTF, felt threatening because we actually got to see it in action) but because the plot challenged the characters on an emotional level. With Sentinel Prime as a leading villain, they could in turn explore Optimus much further, and see just how affected he was by the betrayal of the one he trusted the most. That was one of the factors that made DOTM such a satisfying conclusion, and a great sequel.

2. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Well said. I like Sentinel Prime, but I can't bring myself to get the toy. Where would I put him? The Autobots? The Decepticons?

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I'm waiting for the Ultra Magnus repaint with new head. (Pwease!)

4. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    His eyes are mad, obsessed, I noticed this before his betrayal. He is well made, but ... he is terrible!

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime SAVED ME FROM A BURNING BUILDING!!!!!!!!

Seriously i love his charecter, his actions and outlook on life. All he wanted was to bring unity to his race and his planet's salvation even at the cost of his other planet's expense.

He's like Charles Zi Brittinia. Therefore Awesome.

6. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in the same boat. I came close to getting him in LC form back when there was rumor as to his alliances. However, after seeing what he did in the movie, it's hard for me to want to buy him.

Plus, there was the little matter when he tried to run over my friend when they were shooting downtown. :p  Definitely was a harrowing experience for my friend (my close encounter with Optimus went much better).

In a way, his character is kind of like the disconnect between the older generation, and the newer one. He isn't really able to adapt in the way that Optimus has been able to do.

7. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    He was a really well-made character overall. His design was absolutely superb, and his characterization was godly, I legit hated him as a villain, something I never truly felt for Bay's Megatron.

What is true, villains feel themselves to be heroes, Megatron never appeared that way, Sentinel you can feel though.

8. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I liked Sentinel a lot even though he killed Ironhide and betrayed the Autobots. He was a great character in my mind. One thing I liked about DOTM was that it really made you hate the villains and then it killed them off in a satisfying way.

9. rook

rook Well-Known Member

The Assholes.

10. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

anyone collects movieverse but doesn't get LC Sentinel just because his actions in the movie is missing quite much. That's not really a good reason imho, and he looks awesome standing next to other leaders (at least to the ones that "should be" Leaders -yeah, i am not talking about you Bee and Ironhide!)

11. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    For one that has read all the modern star wars books...I was linking his character to the development of Jacen Solo...A great epic hero that gets worn down over time...falls over to the darkness with the idea that they are fixing the ills and problems of their time...and that can justify the methods their enemies started using in the beginning of the conflict....aka the drift/deadlock quote...

"We're going about this the wrong way, all of us! After countless centuries of fighting ... the Autobots are a step away from what we were when all this started. And us—the Decepticons have become something worse than any of us could have imagined."---------Drift explains his new perception of the war to his former commander, "Spotlight: Drift"