Sentinel Prime: Hero or Villain?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by LesterX, Aug 19, 2011.

?

Sentinel Prime is a...

Poll closed Sep 30, 2011.
  1. Well intentioned extremist

65 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Murderous villain

66 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. Not sure

22 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

Optimus did care Thats why in the first Movie
    He stated that "They scattered across the galaxy
    hoping to find it and Rebuild our home", or at the end of the movie:
    "Though we cannot return life to our planet" and in
    Revenge of the Fallen he said" You'r world must not share
    the same fate as Cybertron whole generation lost."
    I can hear the sadness in his voice when speaking about his home.
    And the only Cybertronians he killed were Decepticon soldiers and a traitor.
    He is willing to lay down his life for the sake of others and his own kind
    and if caring about all intelligent life besides you'r own is considered
    Traitorous then I don't know what the universe is coming to.:) 
    but thats just my opinion :thumbs2: 

2. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Sentinel Prime... DICK!

I was watching the scene where He beats Megatron down saying "I have deemed to work WITH you...I will never work FOR you"

2 seconds ago Megatron had said they will rebuild Cybertron "Together"

Sentinel was a dick.

3. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Decepticon:Hero

Autobot:Villain

4. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

both are heros and villains, i actually hate that black and white sheme, one side is the brave hero the other one the ruthless villain, thats not how things are in real life. Movieverse has some rather aggressive bots like Ironhide or Sideswipe i can also accpet autobots killing humans when they are harmed by them or they are in a battle, i mean seriously when you are over 30 feet tall and fight against another giant robot in a city it seems ridiculous to not harm one single human.
    And maybe cons that dont hate humans and dont kill them just for the heck of it but only when they are under attack. Or cons that have problems because of what they did. but i hate that they are always portrayed as monsters.

i mean such stuff, i just think that it would be good to get away from that typical black and white.

5. LesterX

LesterX Banned

How exactly is the human race "Innocent"? We have proven to be just as violent as Sentinel or Megatron. At least Transformers don't rape hatchlings.

6. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i belive he was a misgided visionary. in witch his own fear for his people drove him astray.

7. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    He was a desperate old man trying any method to bring back his race and his planet.
    He is more of a "Well-Intentioned Villain."

8. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    All his noble intentions to revive Cybertron was only a cover to his lust for power! If his plan had succeeded, what would he do on the renewed Cybertron? After all, he would have killed all the Autobots for the sake of his purpose! It's clear - he did not care who he will rule there, if only all would bowed before him and trembled at his feet. Remember what he said at night in Washington? "On Cybertron we were the Gods!" It is important for him to preserve his power and glory, but not the lives of humans and Autobots.
    Sometimes nature is mistaken... Perhaps it confused the Jetfire's and Sentinel's sparks. One has always been Autobot but another has been Decepticon, only both did not immediately realize their meaning of life.

9. Thepower911

Thepower911 Decepticon

You guys aren't making sense, Sentinel was not a villain, heck any of the decepticons weren't. Let's put it in our context.

Imagine earth is low in supplies, weather is chaos, famine across the land, and 10 humans discover a new planet(Cave Man Land) where lesser evolved beings reside there , this planet sources can save our planet, get rid of the famine , and restore earth back to the way it use to be! Out of those 10 humans , who is going to pull a Optimus Prime and protect Cave Man Land, let me guess none of them would , if anyone did they would be considered a "traitor" or a "complete lunatic" .

Technically there a no villains in this Transformers franchise as a whole, there is one group who goes the more direct and blunt approach (Decepticons) , and the ones who go with passive approach (Autobots)

10. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted "not sure," because if all he really did care about was to save Cybertron, I'd consider him a well-intentioned extremist, but it seemed like at least part of what he wanted was power, and to be a "god" again.

11. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

It's doing the right thing even under adverse even life-threatening circumstances that makes a hero.

Sentinel Prime is no hero.

And it's a sad sign of our times that so many don't know that, can't see that or don't recognize that.

Relativism run amuck.

12. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Well-Known Member

Sentinel claimed to want to save his dieing race, yet he shot one of his own kind even though there were few remaining, hes a hypocrite and a murderer.

13. LesterX

LesterX Banned

This is exactly what I was thinking.:thumbs2: 

14. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think his intentions were good, so I wouldn't quite call him a villain

15. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Humanity is fucked up, we can't possible compare the two.

There's also the thing that as I keep pointing out: We can't make the "Cybertronian = Gods, we = bugs" comparison because we are just socially, physically and mentally advanced as the Cybertronains are [hell, maybe we are MORE advanced than them in those traits, as seen that Cybertronians oftenly treat their matters with medieval methods], we share similar [to not say INDENTICAL] "mind-power" so to speak.

So it's less of "erasing a bunch of lesser bugs for our survival", and more of "comitting genocide on a equally sentient race because we are self-righteous bastards".

16. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

except The war was not About saving their planet to
    begin with It was About Megatron and the decepticons
    wanting to Rule over all of cybertron and then the Universe
    Megatron wanted Power He wasn't interested in saving his race
    it was his Kingdom he was interested in saving,
    Optimus in the Beginning of Dark of the moon said
    "But then came the war Between the Autobots who fought for
    freedom and the decepticons Who dreamt Of tyranny. (Tyranny)
    Meaning the decepticon weren't trying to save their plant but Rule it
    Sentinel saw that the Autobots were out Matched and Megatrons war
    was destroying his Planet so he decided to do what Dylan did
    and When't to the Winning side And Made agreement With Megatron
    and in doing so would sacrifice their Freedom. I'm Not sure what the
    Arrangement Was but Megatron Would not Have agreed to It Unless
    It benefited him. but that just My opinion:thumbs2: 

17. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I agree on all points except I would say he did make the "switch" to villain when he killed Ironhide. I agree that if humans were ever in the same situation, we would do the same thing and just take what we need from the "lesser" race and maybe there is something to survival of the fittest. But, Sentinel didn't even attempt to convince Optimus that this was the best plan for the Cybertronian race. He unapologetically killed one of his oppositions strongest warriors rather than try and sway them to his side.

Sentinel never had any intention of doing anything other then carrying out his plan, he wasn't open to options from the Earth-based Autobots, or even trying to get them to join his cause. No matter how brutal Megatron may have been, he never killed one of his own loyal soldiers.

18. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    "A hero is defined by doing what is right even in the hardest and most dire circumstances."

Here's the problem - who determines what is right?

Sentinel Prime was trying to save his race, ensure that their race had a future. Optimus Prime was willing to sacrifice his entire race to save the lives of another race. In terms of definitions, they are BOTH heroes ... just with different paths on how to accomplish the same goal.

Many make the same arugment with Megatron - "Peace through tyranny" ... his goal is to unify Cybertron under one faction, eliminate social classes so everyone is equal, and if he has to get violent in order to make the dream come true, he will.

Look at Magneto with the X-Men ... same type of character as Sentinel Prime and Megatron - beings who have the righteous in mind but act in a manner that is seen as "evil" ... the only reason we believe Megatron and Sentinel Prime to be evil is because they weren't looking out for our best interests ... but how many civilizations, species of animals and plants, have we as people destroyed in the name of our own civilization?

19. IceMagnus

IceMagnus SSJIcey'95

News Credits:
    He an AUTOBOT killed IronHide!!!!!!! an AUTOBOT Of corse he is a villan.

20. LesterX

LesterX Banned

Ironhide killed two Decepticons just a few minutes before that, though. And for all we know, Crankcase and Crowbar thought they were on the right side. They were practically grunts. They may have thought they were doing the right thing for their species and their planet. So, when it comes down to it, defining "evil" and "good" is not that simple.