Sentinel Prime a coward?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Bluebe6, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I couldn't think of anything else to name this thread.
    In Dark of the Moon, in the final battle, after Sentinel was his by the RPG, he
    seemed to retreat?
    When he was heading for the bridge.
    Something tells me it was just so he could fight Optimus 1v1, but I'm not to sure.

2. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

What can you expect of someone who's a firetruck in space?

[​IMG]

3. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:

Sentinel wasn't a firetruck in space, also that is completely out of context.
    Therefor your statement is invalid.

4. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

^Megatron Trollface=EPIC WIN!!!

Also, yes, SP is a coward, but only because he had so little confidence in his own troops, that he went against everything he stood for.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Everyone's a coward when they get blasted fifty God-damn feet with an RPG.

6. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Sentinel a coward? Damn it, where's that "No shit, Sherlock" meme when I need it...

But in all seriousness, he attacked Ironhide when his back was turned, ran from Optimus when he pursued Sentinel in DC, and consistently ran like a bitch in the final battle. Sentinel is most certainly a coward.

One could argue that Sentinel was outnumbered by the military, Bumblebee, Sideswipe, and Ratchet attacking him and had a valid reason to flee, but he also called a Decepticon airstrike on Optimus when they were fighting 1 on 1.

7. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

haha :lol 
    true. true

8. FeelingLuckyPnk

Yes he was. He was red

9. AutobotSkids

Red =/= Firetruck

:confused2 

10. FeelingLuckyPnk

I'm joking guys...sheesh. I thought the "Megatroll" pic was enough of a clue...

11. AutobotSkids

Sorry, I thought you were, but you had me worried with the "He's red" argument. :lol 

12. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    It was, you were just doing too good a job, it's happened to me a lot on here.

13. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well I thought he was really trying to retreat to another place to regroup himself,

14. FeelingLuckyPnk

If I remember correctly, he took some fire before retreating. I mean, he's tough, but not invincible so it made sense that he pulled back rather than taking more fire.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    People need to realise that being brave doesn't make you invincible or all powerful, nor does it make you stupid enough to just lay down and die and not even try to win. There's more directions in battle than just forward.

16. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I got it, bro. The lack of the ability to see a joke on this board is epidemic..

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Sentinel wasn't a coward. He just recognized himself as Cybertron's last chance. If he allowed himself to be killed, he knew Cybertron would never be revived. The whole point of everything he does during the entire movie is showing that he is willing to sacrifice everything that was ever important to him in order to save their planet.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I'm gonna' cut you some slack, OP, since you're not technically calling Sentinel a coward (you just didn't know what to call the thread). :) 

I, personally, believe that Sentinel was retreating as a strategical move. As many people have pointed out, he was just blasted by that missile and had Autobots and soldiers swarming around him. Just because someone retreats does NOT make them "a coward".

THIS!

*If I come across as angry, please don't take it personally, AutobotSkids. :) 

Yeah, a coward definitely reveals his master plan in front of dozens of his enemies who could easily open fire and attack him. :rolleyes2 

1.) Shooting Ironhide in the back was the logical and smart thing to do. He did so out of strategic intelligence, not cowardice.
    2.) Running from Optimus in DC? He also then whupped Optimus to the ground and held a sword to his throat, revealed more of his plan and then walked away casually, with his back turned. Again, not cowardice. Running does not make you a coward.
    3.) He ran like a b**ch in the final battle? Except you know, when he wasn't. When he was slapping Megatron around, confronting Optimus face-to-face and throwing him around, slicing and shooting at Autobots and soldiers, ripping off Optimus' arm, running him through and dragging him across the bridge, kicking him to the ground and then about to deal the death blow.
    4.) Again, calling for reinforcements does NOT make someone a coward. He wants Optimus dead. An easy way to do that? Call in a squad of Decepticon ships to blast Optimus into oblivion. Military strategy =/= cowardice.

Now, deep down, could all of his behaviours be rooted in cowardice? I guess? But by that logic, every character is a coward to some extent when you examine their actions and motivations. But that's not how it comes across in the movie for Sentinel, nor was it meant to. Sentinel is portrayed as an intelligent, cunning and powerful character. No matter what he does, be it retreating or attacking, it's for a darn good reason.

Agreed.

But, I wouldn't say that Sentinel was willing to "sacrifice everything that was ever important to him in order to save their planet". I'd say that he's willing to sacrifice a random planet (Earth) and its 7 billion inhabitants to a lifetime of slavery (and most likely death) in order to save their planet". He didn't care about Earth. He couldn't have cared less whether it was Earth or another planet with 7 billion slaves. Now, Optimus on the other hand was willing to sacrifice everything that he once held dear (Cybertron and the preservation of his race) in order to save Earth.

19. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

He certainly played it safe throughout the whole movie, and was calculating and ruthless in battle, unlike the usual boistious go get em Autobot personality. He was pretty much a Decepticon in all but name and appearance.

I'd also call him a bit of a bully. He gleefully slaughtered his way through opponents he knew didn't have a chance against him, like Ironhide or the NEST soldiers in the base but whenever he had trouble he'd lose his cool.

Granted calling an airstrike on Optimus wasn't that big a deal because NEST and the other Autobots started attacking him as well negating any advatage he might have gained.

20. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That's very much true! A truely skilled warrior/soudlier needs to understand this important fact!