Sentinal Prime and the Matrix

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by vbann, Jun 29, 2011.

1. vbann

vbann Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    One thing that really seemed out of place was sentinals decision not to take the matrix of leadership. It wasnt like he had a change of heart mid battle to betray the autobots, he made a deal with megatron during the great war so his intentions were outlined from the start. Wouldnt it make more sense to take the matrix since youre claiming yourself as the true autobout leader. Any thoughts?

2. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    i was wondering the same thing.
    if he had the matrix. maybe he could have won in the end.

buuut, at the end, he said "forgive me" so maybe he knew he was doing something he probly shouldnt me. and felt that he did not deserve the martix back.

3. GTRagnarok

GTRagnarok Well-Known Member

He said that when he activated the space bridge to the Moon in DC.

4. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    yeah which led to the decepticons coming and everything starting

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say it was a writing choice. If Sentinel had taken the Matrix it would have made him seem self-important and possibly sinister, casting doubt on his supposedly noble character in the minds of the audience and lessening the impact of his betrayal later. Logically it would have made more sense for him to take the Matrix, but the story would have suffered.

6. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it makes us more emotionally invested in Sentinal Prime, because we can see there is still good in him, and I think this was his way of showing that to Optimus before the inevitable happened and they learned of his plot with Megatron. For me, it really drums in the fact that Sentinal Prime only wanted the best for his race, he'd just gotten a bit lost in how to achieve that, seeing the state of the 'great war' - and yes, I mean the state of it before he even left Cybertron, because the opening shows that the decepticons were indeed winning.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    when you have your betrayal on your mind and you just woke up from a comma, having the leader of a group try to present you with a long-lost artifact is VERY confusing. im sure thats a readon.

8. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

In this continuity, the Matrix seems to be lacking in importance since it doesn't convey any real sense of added power or overall leadership quality (IMHO mainly due to poor fleshing out by the writers and Bay.)

9. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sentinel had been MIA for decades, to suddenly reappear on the battlefield and be given command would be a bit of a 'wtf?' moment.

Not to mention Sentinel did have a moral sense to restore Cybertron, I imagine he'd have envisioned a rebuilt Cybertron would be with him as leader, without the need of the Matrix to prove it.

10. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The matrix seams to have some self determination in regards to who it will go to based on ROTF. Maybe sentinel new he was not worthy anymore so he choose not to try and take it and have his secret revealed

11. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sentinel Prime isn't a Decepticon. Besides, he kept trying to convince Optimus to join him. He probably would have taken the Matrix once he had done with Optimus at the end if he didn't die.

12. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    I think something deep inside was telling him he was wrong so he didn't accept the matrix

13. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    The Matrix is where the souls of the original primes are. Sentinel probably knew this and didn't want to risk them realizing what he was planning to do and rejecting him, causing doubt with Optimus. That or the guilt of what he believes he has to do compels him to turn it down.

14. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:

That makes the most sense of the speculAtions thus far.

15. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

i was discussing this with my friends earlier. we figured he wasn't fit to be the leader anymore and that it rightfully belonged to Optimus

16. Bern

Bern Pathetic fools!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So....

the Matrix was originally sealed in a chamber of the original Primes in Egypt 19,000 years ago, right? And Sentinel crashed on the Moon in 1961? Or am I missing something in the convoluted mishmash of a story between ROTF & DOTM?

How would Sentinel ever have had the Matrix then? I was under the impression Optimus was giving it back to Sentinel.

17. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    that entire scene seemed extraneous and lacking in context.