Fan Art: Sentimental Digibash Request

Discussion in 'Requests' started by Methusalen, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    OK, first off, mid-May I started getting a bit sentimental after seeing a few G1 Prime recolors. My grandfather drove a cab-over semi for his brother for as long as I could remember. My grandfather passed on a couple years ago now, his brother before that, and their little fleet has long since gone... There was one truck in the fleet that meant the most to everyone in my family. We loving referred to it as "The Kitty Truck". It was Annis Trucking's very first rig, and the one that meant the most to everyone...

Now, this was quite a while ago (before I was born in 1980), but they kept that rig road-worthy for quite a while, and even after they retired it, they held onto it...

Well, as I've said, after my great-uncle Eldy passed away in the early 90's, my great-aunt lost the fleet to the bank (the only chance to not lose the farm, literally). They even took the Kitty Truck...

Well, fast forward a bit to today, and I'm feeling sentimental... Now, my father had (so very long ago) built a model truck and painted it the same as the rig, where it was kept in the office out at my great-uncle's... but after Eldy's death, my aunt had it thrown out- along with the rest of the office stuff, as it was too hard on her to go into the room w/o breaking down in tears... It's a shame too, it was a very good paint job...

Anyways, I'm rambling... My request is simple. What would the G1 Optimus Prime figure look like in the color scheme of the "Kitty Truck"? Unfortunately, I don't have access to a scanner, and the photos are 20+ years old (and are beginning to show their age) but if any of you would be willing to do a little digibashing, I'd appreciate it, as I'd like to attempt this repaint someday...

Here are the pictures (of the pictures)!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I was hoping to get a clear shot of the printing on the side of the cab here... "Annis Trucking / Glenwood City, Wis / can't make out the numbers...

[​IMG]
    My Great-uncle Eldy with my Grandfather (Wes) on the right. (Notice the "1" in between)

[​IMG]
    This photo it appears everyone in my family has (including me), and that would be me in the picture, sitting in my grandfather's lap after my first ride in the truck with my grandpa... (See where the sentimentality comes in? :eek:  )

Anyways! If anyone would be willing to take the time to do a little bash of both Op's robot & alt. modes, I'd appreicate it! -and if there are any kitbashers out there, could you let me know how much time, effort, & money it'd cost to do myself (or have someone do for me)?

Thank you for humoring me.
    Jeremy -aka "Methusalen"

PS- I posted this over at Seibertron.com as well, but thought I might get a better chance at a response here as well...

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I think Wildcat might fit with this truck. Dude my late Grandfather had a similar semi and his nickname was tin can, but I think someone can help ya. Me I can't but I like to say that maybe kitbash a classics opitmus prime into those colors and whammo you got something to remember your family. Peace out.

3. incinerator1016

incinerator1016 Banned

ill try the digibash in an hour or so when photoshop wants to cooperate

4. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

The paint job would probably have to be altered some because a bunch of the striping falls between the headlight and windwhield. G1 Prime doesn't have the same amount of room, but it could be fudged somewhat to work.

I think the idea is great, and shows the size of customizing I really enjoy- that being making a toy personal.

Some cool mods that would help it look even more like your faily's truck would be to add the emblem on the grill, to square off the bumper, and to modify the driver's side smokestack.

5. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I would do something on Photoshop, but my skills are weak and it would take me way too long.

6. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

Here you go. I had a few minutes between homework assignments so I did a quickie. Couldn't tell from the pics which shade of orange was correct so I did a couple.

::EDIT:: In case you were wondering, "scooting" the bengal stripes over a bit was intentional, I figured it would be tough to make it look good over the seam on the cab and grill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's amazing!

8. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Dude, that's awesome, you should try it with Classics Prime, since his alt mode is a little beefier.

9. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Jimmyjimjim: That looks great! I see what you mean about the stripes, I was trying to think about what we could do about that... If I do decide to get him done, I'll probably see what we could do with teh whiskers... Something looks a bit "odd" with them both ending right by the grill. Outside of that, it looks very cool! The shade of orange is a bit off in both, but that's not your fault! (I've always kind of remembered it as a brighter "Huffer" orange, so I'd brighten the orange from the first set.) I never would have thought about painting his 'waist' black as well, that's a pretty neat touch there... Thanks again for the digibash! He looks great!

ambushbug74: I'd love to see what he'd look like, but it's not what I'm after... Classics alt. mode is beefier & might fit the paint scheme better, but also looks "newer". (Esp. with the wind vane on top!) While he'd probably look pretty good as a Classic,I'm looking for the 'nostalgia factor' with this concept... I'm looking for 'old'! :D 

EDIT: Spoke with my father who knows a bit more about the semi than I do... Found out that the odd-looking smokestack's not a stack at all! It's an air intake, which explains the cap on top... Additionally, the large box on top of the semi's cab is an air conditioner (I always wondered what that thing was!). And finally, looking at the pictures a bit more, I'm wondering if it'd be worth the effort to square off the front bumper to match the Kenworth's simple, rectangular bumper... So I'm trying to decide if these design elements are worth incorporating into the piece... and seeing what kind of work I'd need to do (or pay to have someone do) to pull it off...

I think the air conditioner could be a simple swiveling box, secured to the flipping piece behind Optimus' head, so it could rotate over the passenger comparment in truck mode, and have enough room to rotate around to clear the cab into truck mode. The air intake's stack? I don't know what I could do about that with the gimp-stacked Re-issue figure... The bumper? Putty and paint would be my guess...

Contemplation & thinking...

10. Jimmyjimjim

Thanks! Upon closer inpection of the stripes, I can see what you mean. I thought it would look wierd to have a radius run over a seam, but it doesn't look quite like the original.

You know what would be REALLY cool for this? Get a couple larger scale Peterbuilt models that EXACTLY match you G-pa's rig, and hack up one to do a kitbash of robot-mode. You could probably find a model the same scale of Masterpiece Prime and then use him as the donor for hands, head, etc. Paint each and display them together. Just MHO.

This is the closest I could find to that model PB, but it could work-
    http://www.hobbytron.com/model/Peterbilt352PacemakerCabAMTERTLModelCars.html

11. Methusalen

News Credits:
    LOL, that sounds cool and all, but WELL past my skills... My first repaint wound up as a big pile of slagged plastic after I got impatient trying to strip paint w/ alcohol & used "Zip Strip"... It worked really well, stipped most of the paint off in SECONDS... Then I walked away for a few minutes and came back to molten plastic... So I'm a bit leery to take on a big scaled project as that... (Although I will keep it in mind)

Oh, and the Kitty Truck was a 1970's Kenworth K100 (I believe)... It'll be a pain trying to find the model kit... I remember looking around a little while back to find the same model kit my dad used to create the Kitty Truck model he gave my great-uncle a while back, but we had no luck finding it... Maybe the internet will give up it's treasures in the future? :D 

Anyways, how "off"would it look if the bottom-most black portion was moved down a little bit (curling just outside of the headlights, not even with the top of the arm), then have the lower stripe start right above the arm? And then space the stripes a bit more & stagger the whiskers in teh front? And then start the lower stripe further out from center than the top one....

Sorry... I was rambling and just trying to figure stuff out... Don't mind me!

12. Methusalen

News Credits:
    After seeing your work JimmyJimJim, I was toying around with Gimp, and played around with the head-on shot of Optimus Prime from Siebertron.com's gallery to come up with a quick and dirty digibash... Anyways, I came up with this... (forgive the quality, I have no idea what I'm doing with the program, I'm learning as I go along!)

[​IMG]
    For my take, I took the large black area (which I just realized I forgot the white border of), and brought it up just over the headlights, leaving enough of a gap for the first whisker to go right over the arm along the side of the cab. The second whisker would come down through the 'gap' from the folding chest part, but I don't think it should be an issue... I did half of it, copied/flipped/pasted over the other half that I hadn't done yet... That explains why it might look a bit 'off'...

And, after finding a head-on pic of Prime's robot mode... (and a copy/paste later), I came up with this...
    [​IMG]
    Now, I'm thinking of keeping the black on the sides of the waist, the inner & bottom of the arm, but there'll be a small orange stripe along the outside of Prime's arm (where the black portion stops). There's going to be a little tiny bit of white on the corner at the end of his arms (where the fist plug in), but I don't think that's going to be a problem...
    Then I selected the head/hands/and legs, desaturated all the color out of it to get the grey (as I didn't know how to swap colors around)... I'm definitely thinking that black would work so very much better for all the gray, but it works for this example..

Pretty sloppy work, but that's what I came up with... what do you think?

13. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I'd like to see this digibashed with a Masterpiece Prime...

14. Jimmyjimjim

Not sloppy at all, especially considering it's your first go at GIMP (which I don't have the slightest idea how to use, incidentally).

Yours definitely looks more like the real truck. When I did mine, I kept the paint apps to whole sections because I thought it might look a little strange to have fragmented graphics on panels, but you show that it could work. My only real crit is that you should try to arrange it that the bottom whisker stripe doesnt bleed onto the portion next to the grill.

P.S.: Your story about using paint remover had me absolutely cracking up because I once did the same on a $70 master-grade Gundam when I was younger. I drove all the way to San Francisco from Sacramento to get that thing at NewType Hobbies (back before the internet marketplace when it was hard to get that stuff). I didn't like the spray coat I gave it because it bubbled in places. So, I wisely sprayed on paint remover and came back to find a puddle of goo that vaguely resembled a Gundam. I'd used the stuff before to strip paint off die-cast models and didn't stop to think that it was going onto plastic instead of metal.

15. Methusalen

News Credits:
  16. Jimmyjimjim

Read that thread, owwww........ Looks familiar.

Next time you paint something, here's some advice. I know that everyone has recommendations, and I hate to contradict anyone, but here's what I found to be the absolute best way to paint something in order to NOT get paint defects (short of using actual auto paint and catalytic clear coat). I've painted TONS of stuff at school (Art Center College of Design- Product Design major) and this is by far the best stuff I've found.

1. Clean all parts with Isopropyl Alchohol- let dry very well.
    2. Using "OSH" brand rattlecan grey primer (this stuff is by far the best spray primer), mist on a few very fine coats until covered. Wait a few minutes between each misting. Let dry at least 6 hours. Setting it in the heat will help it along.
    3. WET SAND that stuff (moisten fine grit sandpaper) using 1000 then 2000 grit paper (stuff they use for clearcoat). Clean off leftover sanding dust with a moist t-shirt (or equivalent).
    4. Spray another coat of primer, using the same method as before. Let dry. Wet sand again with 2000 grit. Mist again after sanding to cover any spots you sanded through.
    5. Let dry a LONG time (a day at least) Clean off leftover sanding dust again. Let dry again.
    6. Go get yourself "TAMIYA" brand spray paint and clearcoat (gloss or matte, your choice). It is sold in hobby shops and works absolutely the best of any spray, trust me.
    7. Time for color. Spray the same way you sprayed the primer- Several very fine coats. Let dry completely (one or two days at least in heat). Turning your oven on "warm" (100 degrees) and putting it in will help cure the paint. You want to let it dry to the point that if yuou touch it, it doest feel sticky AT ALL.
    8. Buff out the paint with a VERY fine cloth (light touch, not heavy handed). What I find works best are the LCD monitor cleaning towels they sell at Radioshack, but you could use a soft t-shirt. The brand is "Monster Screenclean".
    9. Apply a thin coat of the clearcoat. Let dry. Apply another thin coat. Make sure it doesn't start to puddle up. If it does, too thick. Let dry for at least a day or two. DON'T use the oven for this part, just make sure it's somewhere warm, same as step 7.
    10. Buff out again with the towel or t-shirt. Oh, don't bother buffing out matte clearcoat. Only gloss.

Intensive, I know. But you will get results.

17. dec0y13

dec0y13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, I could do a decal set.
    the problem is that the rivits and divets of the prime parts will make it difficult stay permenant. you'd still have to hit it with an oragne coat,but the decals could cover the rest.
    I really like the look!

maybe you could try a water slide decal kit. You print it yourself on an inkjet and seal it with Krylon clear coat...but if delta asks me why I'm suggesting something other than our awesome decals, i'll deney it all!!

18. Methusalen

News Credits:
    That's an idea I hadn't thought of dec0y13... If the raised area would make it difficult for sticker application, then there's always a simple alternative... Remove the raised area... I've also sent you a PM with a querry.

The portion under Optimus' stripe isn't that much detail, and if sacrificed, would give me more room to place my own stripes on the side of Prime...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^
    The only thing I'd have to do is worry about the lower most white stripe on Prime's arm... The black and orange would be easy enough to paint on their own...

As for the front, it might require a few additional stickers to make sure all the stripes line up & match correctly... the ones coming off from the sides that wrap around front, one on either side of the grill with the beginning of the larger whisker & the bottom black area. And, to top it off, maybe even an extra one for just the end of the arm where the fist plugs in...
    [​IMG]

I've found it humorous that my Digibash request thread I've turned into a conceptual "WIP Optimus Repaint" thread... and that I've spent about an hour/ hour and a half on this post & trying to figure Gimp... I sure am getting some use out of that first bashed image I did... I just resized, copied, & pasted it over the pictures I'd just taken to get that last picture... (along with some additional editing)!

:D 

19. Jimmyjimjim

Hey dec0y, where do you get water slide decal printer paper? Hope I'm not asking a trade secret...

20. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    any hobby shop, I think even walmart has some by Testors.