Minor/Repaint: Sentimental Digibash Request (continued)... need advice!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Methusalen, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    OK, those of you who recognized the thread title, thanks for taking an interest in it again... I'll post a quick recap, but if you'd like to read the 2 page thread, HERE YOU GO.

Recap:
    OK, now that that's out of the way...
    I have made no progress on this project, out of fear of ruining another project like I did to the Hot Wheels Armorhide trailer... Although that wasn't the only thing keeping me from the project. I don't really have the funds to get started on the project... although, I will be moving to another location at work that's actually full-time (yeah me!)...

The 1 thing that basically 'hooked' me on the idea that "Hey, I could do this one! was Dec0y's idea to make a set of custom Reprolabels, eliminating the difficult paint details (the white border on the edge of the 'whiskers' mainly!)... while he offered to do the art at his cost, to go through with the Reprolabels route is still more funds I have to come up with for the project... Speaking of Reprolabels, I'm sure you've seen the Reprolabels/Sculptbot "Boombox" project... I've been following this, and have already stripped my PowerupVT6 of his paint & stickers in preparation for the project... I think this might end up being the one thing I need to accomplish before I start working on something 'meaningful' to me... a bit of a confidence builder, eh?

Now, today I received an unexpected 2nd Pepsi Optimus Prime from the Mountain Dew "Transform Your Summer" contest... and since I opened that box this repaint has been in the back of my head all day... First off, I need to know if it'd be worth it... Is Pepsi Optimus Prime going to be worth something some day? Should I use him as the base for the "Kitty Truck", or should I keep the project on the back burner until I finally decide to hit up Ebay (or the B/S/T threads) for another G1 Prime? The way I'm looking at it right now, is that I've already got this Prime sitting here, and it's worth (right now) $30... A G1 Prime on Ebay (with fists & gun, possibly trailer) would cost me at LEAST that... So why not use him? (Plus, the "Kitty Truck" was originally a crushed car hauler, so the flatbed makes sense!)

Now, what kind of difficulties will I run into repainting a G1 Prime? I know his forearms rub against his torso when you transform him into (or out of) truck mode, so paint wear would be a biggie there... I also know that tearing him down can be a pain as well, since his front axle doesn't come apart? Wouldn't this mean that his legs would remain attached to the body when it came time to paint the cab?!?! Has anyone successfully removed the axle? How difficult is it to do? Can the paint be applied w/o removing the legs?

Now, it may still be a little while before I start work on this guy, but I'm looking for some feedback and ideas... anything that'll help boost my confidence a bit! The last thing I want to do is botch this project up too!!!

-One last thing, even though it's been a few months since I spoke to him last, if anyone would be interested in obtaining their own black & white striped sticker sets from Reprolabels, please contact either myself or Dec0y13. I believe he said they'd cost around $15, but they'd cover everything... and fit in with (just about) any color scheme!
    Seriously though everyone, thanks for taking your time to read through this all and leave some feedback/advice... I appreciate it

2. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

go all out. and make sure NOTHING gets in the way of your goal. except for maybe time... but ya, I feel your uncertainty (about pepsi prime) but I guess it would be wiser to buy a junker off ebay and keep the 2nd prime MISB just in case... but with my impatient nature, I would go in and paint the pepsi prime because of the flat bed which would make the finished result even more nostalgic.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I've never took a G1 Prime apart, so I cant help on that....and you know about the whole wash your parts before you paint thing, so I wont go into that either...

But, this project has a sentimental value for you right?....so crack that "free" Pepsi Prime open and do it to that one.....no sense in buying another later on when, like you said, you have one thats just right (referring to the comment about the flat bed).....

You know what you have right now, its there in front of you....instead of buying something online based on a picture or someones word...

I'm not saying youre doing this, but dont start the project out by trying to "skimp" or save money....just do it to it!!

And keep us posted!!....Customs like these that have a meaning or purpose always come out great!!....when they are from the heart, they cant help but to be great :thumb 

4. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, I brought the Pepsi Prime over to a friend's place (as my wife & I were going over for dinner), and talked it over with him... He's into Transformers as well, and 'got it'... I took him out of the package, applied the forearm stickers (why not?), and let his son play with Prime. Boy, did he have fun with him! Of course, those same stickers that were applied were quickly damaged when he transformed him into truck mode...

LOL, so now there's no going back! I'll start with the simple part of the project and use some alcohol to remove the Pepsi paint apps. I'll eventually start on the project, although I'll do a bit more research before I do! Thanks for the words of advice and bits of confidence (again) guys, it's really appreciated! Your guys' Plowking, the Nostalgic (or 'sentimental?'!!) Defensor, & Trailblaster customs are wonderful projects, and I'll admit, a bit of inspiration to 'do my own thing'... I only hope that the final project is worthy to compare to your own works!

5. Blue_Eyed_Raven

Blue_Eyed_Raven Banned

Wow, that's neat!

6. Methusalen

News Credits:
    LOL, if that "banned" is any indication, then I'm glad to see that at least he had something kind to say about my idea (as opposed to the rest of the posts he'd left in others')!

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Good to see you are going ahead with it....be sure to keep us updated :thumb 

8. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

This thread has got my attention more than some of the other kitbashing threads since there's value here. Methusalen, have you considered doing this to DVD Prime, or Revoltech Prime? I would drool seeing DVD Prime getting this treatment! :) 

9. Methusalen

News Credits:
    First of all, I guess I should say that I've slowly started removing the paint apps from Pepsi Prime. I didn't plan ahead before I started working, so I only had 70% rubbing alcohol wipes to work with, but have removed the Pepsi Markings from Prime's feet, bits of the white & blue striping from the rear of the cab, and both the Pepsi & Autobot insignias painted onto his shoulders... I also disassembled the trailer, and removed the 4 'arms' from the top of it... I plan on dremeling off the raised bits from the trailer that originally held the pop cans & bottle caps in place, and then picking up some putty to fill the areas left behind from the 'arms'... Tomorrow I will be picking up some stronger alcohol to help expedite the paint removal process... I just wanted to know something quick; when I'm using alcohol on the paint, should I be cautious near the chromed pieces (like his grill)? Should I work on disassembling him now, or can I wait until I pick up the paint first?

After seeing Agesthreeandup's Nemesis Convoy & A3U Convoy, I think I might end up trying out Revoltech Convoy... But I don't even have one of those for my own collection yet, let alone a SPARE one to repaint!!! -As for 20th or DVD Prime... Wow, I'd been asked the same question in my previous thread. I don't think I'll be doing it to DVD Prime, at least not yet- as my painting skills aren't NEARLY good enough for me to consider risk ruining such an expensive figure... (Although, if I end up liking my G1 repaint enough, I might consider 'hiring' someone on to paint the figure for me!)

So, I think I might be sticking with G1 figures for now... Heck, if my first one comes out well, I'll probably be making additional ones for my family, since we all have fond memories of that truck... (The TRANSFORMERS idea is all mine since I used to play with Transformers all the time as a kid, but my mother & father got a kick out of the concept, and my mother has already expressed interest in getting one for herself!)

10. Methusalen

News Credits:
    UPDATE:

I picked up some 91% alcohol to help with the paint removal process, and it's MUCH faster than the 70% wipes I was putzing around with the first night... I even pulled a few screws out from Prime's torso & seats and removed the die-cast portion of the semi cab... (This is the part that's taking the longest to remove the paint from!)... ALAS THOUGH! - While I was -ever-so-slowly- prying loose the windshield, I guess I didn't unclip the little tab that connects the window to the drivers-side 'door', and my window cracked!

I'm not too concerned though, I'm thinking that a CD jewel case cut to fit (and glued into place) should work nicely as a windshield. That helps me get a nice, clear window anyways, opposed to the orangey-brown one that Pepsi Prime comes with!

Outside of that, the only issue I've had so far is my inability to remove the grill/bumper... It's held in place by the two halves of the waist, which are held together by the front axle... (grrr....):mad  But, that just means that I'll have to be cautious when stripping the paint (in a few minutes), and I'll have to tape it up properly before I paint the cab...

I'll post pictures tomorrow of the final 'stripped' Prime, although I'll be leaving two small paint apps in place (for the time being), his eyes & mouthplate... I'll keep them up until I get around to painting the figure up, I think'd be a bit odd with a faceless Prime staring at me... That and I haven't entirely decided if I want to paint/dye Prime's legs, hands, & head another color... so if I keep them blue, then that's one less paint app I have to put back on!

11. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Pictures! Hope the quality of them turned out well! I know it's a bit dark in the apartment today, as the weather outside isn't the best...

Anyways, here we go...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely at this photo of Prime transformed, you'll notice I didn't remove all the blue paint from the sides of the grill, but did end up removing some of the 'chrome' from the sides of Prime's grill after all (which I was trying to avoid).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And, here are the pictures of my done-in window...
    [​IMG]
    -and from the inside:
    [​IMG]

I kind of like the way Prime looks with his metal feet... I might take that into account when I repaint the figure, maybe keep them as is, or paint them up a metalic color? -I dunno, just a thought...

12. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

awesome! so you used 91% to get the paint off the metal?

but when painting over metal are you gonna use primer or did you find some special metal paint or something? if you used 91% then that gives me high hopes at stripping the paint off my MP prime.

it's lookin pretty good.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I would've tried to leave the red paint on him. The pictures of your truck look kinda red to me.

14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, I don't understand the point of stripping off all the red on his chest, especially since the rest of him is already permanently red.

Now paint matching will just be that much harder. Same goes for the feet - I don't get it.

15. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Yes, it worked well (in my opinion), it took a while to get all the paint out from around the molded details (rivets, in between parallel lines, etc)... but if you're REALLY looking for something to strip paint off of METAL... Check out this post I'd made regarding the demise of my Armorhide Trailer repaint attempt... check out the last picture of the diecast VW Beetle... That was done VERY quickly using that "Zip Strip", which seems very safe for metals - yet deadly to plastics of any sort!
    Actually I hadn't thought about that... As I've said before, I'm still very much a repainting newb here, I didn't think I'd need to worry about a primer over the metal. I had been thinking of using some sort of spray paint (a Krylon or some such) that would work on metal or plastic... Should I rethink (or go f*****' research my facts about) my thoughts?
    My memories of the truck always pegged it as a bright orange... and even though a lot of the pictures look it, I still see it that way in my mind's eye... Not to mention the (previously mentioned) picture that just about everyone in my family has seems to show it as more 'orangey'...
    [​IMG]
    I hadn't thought that it was a big deal if I stripped the paint from the figure. I'll be repainting the entire figure a shade of orange anyways, and didn't want to lose all the details molded into the cab because I put another coat (or two) on top of the existing paint... As for the feet, well... after I took off the Pepsi logos, I noticed that I'd stripped the paint down to the metal, so I thought "why not?" and took the rest off...

I have four ideas as to what I'll do regarding the feet...
    1) Paint/dye the legs/hands/head black, and paint the feet to match...
    2) Paint the feet a metallic color, and repaint all the chrome to match (hammered metallic silver maybe?)
    3) Match the paint back up to Pepsi Prime's legs and paint them the same color... (shouldn't be too hard, since it looks like it's the same shade as the blue in Pepsi's globe).
    4) Only paint the feet black, drawing one more color from the main body into the extremities... (then the gun, tires, feet, & 'whiskers' would be black)...

EDIT: I've also been back in touch with Dec0y regarding the Reprolabel set for the cab, and will be ordering it upon my next paycheck! I have faith in Dec0y's work (as his Reprolabel custom sets kick ass!), and knows he has high hopes for this project, as he's said that he'd like to use my 'whisker' deco on one of his own Primes!

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    removing the paint wasn't a BAD idea, though I'd have just sanded it down instead, so that it would eliminate rubbing spots.

17. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Now I know...

[insert chorus]
    And knowing is half the battle!

OK, well, it's not a big deal, I can still repaint the bare metal, so no worries then...

QUESTION FOR ALL YOU EXPERIENCED REPAINTERS: I've been starting to think that painting the blue parts of Prime black, to take him one step further away from "Optimus Prime", if you get what I'm saying there...

Now, I could paint them easily enough, but I'm thinking that the hands (especially) would suffer from paint wear... I think that dying them black shouldn't be very difficult... Dark blue -> Black? Of course, I'm not taking another step on the project until I have more cash for the project (in another week), but I would really like to hear all of your experiences with dying figures... Hear your positive experiences, and your "OMFG!, I JUST MELTED MY EXTREMELY RARE FIGURE'S ENTIRE LEG!" stories... Give me all the pointers you can think of, let me know about whatever different forms of dye that are available...

18. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd dye without hesitation, I dye moving parts whenever I am able to. They should dye easy as pie. get a pan, fill it mostly full of water, and bring it to a boil, then remove it from the heat. add 2 spoonfuls of acetone. It will sputter on contact, so do this before you add the dye! Then dump in a couple capfuls of liquid dye, or if you got powder, dump the whole packet in. stir for a minute or two and drop the parts in and let them sit for a few minutes. if you have one of those strainers on a handle, like for frying, put them in that and just drop that in leaving the handle out. will be a little hard to find them in the black liquid, so its either feel for them and get 'em with tongues or use the strainer.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    heheh, sweet deco.

20. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

wow

great idea