Sending payments as gift on paypal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ang3l3s, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ang3l3s

ang3l3s Sixshot

I don't know if this thread has been posted or if people are aware of the consequences so i thought i'd bring up my personal experience with this method.

I dealt with this seller on the forums b4 and alll was good but the 2nd time as i had faith in him from our past dealings used paypal gift again with no hesitation. Paid Oct 6th, (i live in Canada btw) today is Nov 3rd and still no item. Max it has ever taken to get my item from the states is 3 weeks. Tried 4 pm's and nothing, tried to claim on paypal and you cannot claim a gift. So in short just send the extra cash to cover the sellers fees and DO NOT use paypal gift as you are screwed if your item is damaged or does not arrive.

JM2CENTS

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't know that; thanks for the advice.
    Also, you should PM a Junkion Exchange Feedback mod (either Liokaiser or Gears) about this guy so they can put his name in the deadbeats thread. That way hopefully no-one else will get taken by him.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've been seeing more and more people wanting it to be "gifted", and I've been hearing about more and more people getting screwed because of it.

I've done it a couple times and have been fine, but no more.

4. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I can see why you can't claim a gift. It is just that, a gift. An actual transaction would be different as your expecting something in return. But as the term gift applies................
    And gifts are not free by the way. Somebody has to pay for it. The receiver does not pay, but the sender does.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I send a payment as a gift, I always click the "I will pay the fees" box that shows up on the payment page.

6. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wouldn't that just be like "tipping" paypal? How does it protect you?

7. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe it's still stuck in customs or he screwed you. Hopefully this can resolved soon.

8. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Thing is, sellers have got to stop asking for payment as a gift of charging people PayPal fees. It goes against PayPal's fair use policy.

You don't like that? Well include PP's fees in your price. Simple as that.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, this is true. I thought everyone knew this, but since I was wrong, thanks for posting, as we all need to be aware. I've had a similar experience in the past

10. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has the OP had any contact with the seller? Personally, I do not mind it either as a gift or a purchase as a gift saves the fees, but a purchase can be used to buy the postage directly via Paypal (less hassle)

11. ---The RAt

---The RAt Well-Known Member

ew that sucks.
    I've been doing alot more selling than buying these days, but I never really ask for payment as a gift. I frankly don't care how it comes to me as long as I get my money

12. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i always ask ppl to pay as gift but i am a reputable seller on the boards here and would never screw someone. it just helps me avoid ebay, and the fees.

if someone is uncomfortable with the gift option which is fine, i just ask they cover the fees then.

if a customer of mine is unhappy and paid with gift or whatever method it would be worked out in PM's but never had a unhappy customer :) 

But one thing to remember, if you are a seller, do not ask they leave their address and items purchased in paypal if paid as a gift. apparently, if it were to ever happen, and heard it can, your account gets audited and they see that, they could come back to you for those fees.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    It doesn't protect the transaction. It's more of a "make sure the buyer pays the fees" function.

As a seller, I ask the buyers to cover any fees that Paypal incurs.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I think before agreeing to Paying as gifts, you should really check the recent feedback a member have. that's always a good indication.

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    But if you're the buyer and sending it as a gift, what's the point of saying you'll pay fees that shouldn't exist in the first place?

The seller isn't going to get charged for receiving the gift no matter what, correct?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

So do I, but I think I have a pretty good rep here as a seller.

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^This. I think you're fine sending money through Paypal as a gift, as long as you are confident in who you are sending it to.

18. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I prefer receiving payments as a gift. That way, I get the exact amount I'm asking for and the buyer doesn't have to shell out more money. Win-win, especially when the people involved are trustworthy. But if someone is opposed to gifting payments for whatever reason, I offer them the option of tacking on the additional fees. I don't have a problem with it. I think I've only dealt with 2 people that didn't like the idea of gifting, but they were more than willing to cover the 3% or whatever for me.

19. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I don't mind using the gift option as a buyer or a seller. Do your homework. I'm not going to buy from someone who has bad feedback whether it's via gift option or not. If they don't have feedback at all I'd definitely just pay the fees myself as insurance. People act like the fee is 50% or something.. it's not that much.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just want to throw it out there that as a fellow Canadian I have had some packages from the US take up to 6 weeks to show up at my place. I have had Canadian Customs hold a package for nearly 20 days once.

Were you provided with a tracking #? Do you know when he shipped the item? Is there a chance he didn't send it out for a week or so? This time of year, customs really slows things down.