Customs: Selling your customs

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by formula93, Aug 19, 2009.

1. formula93

formula93 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, I've been thinking about this lately. Do you guys sell your customs when you finish them, or keep them on your shelves? I just sold my first two on eBay, and was wondering what you all thought of the practice. I sold them to fund me being able to do MORE customs. I mean, it can be an expensive hobby at times. Plus, it gives me the chance to buy a new tranformer, play around with it for awhile, then then let somebody else enjoy it after I've put in a few hours (or a LOT) painting it. I'm not looking to get rich, and I'm not in it for the money, but the more I get on ebay, the more willing I am to push myself on the next custom.

Thoughts?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I've never sold any of my customs on ebay or otherwise. I tend to do the customs for me and my own collection. I just want those transformers that were never created or I want to do them better than the originals in some way. I see nothing wrong with selling your work though. I've considered it (I still am), but I haven't done that yet. If I do sell some of my work, I want to make sure I either have another already done for my collection OR I have the materials/bots to do another. My entire life, I've been that artist who really does this for the love and for myself--it's hard to imagine me kicking back and admiring what I slaved over for days/weeks/months and then tossing aside for any price. If I have the means to create another, I'd be much more willing to sell some to help others have what I did and what they might want. Plenty have showed interest in my Universe G1 Scourge custom, but I just can't sell it because I love it and it's the ONLY one I've done or have. I have been debating on whether to try and do some for those interested in them though, but it's just me thinking it over (time is a factor, as well as materials/bots, since I don't have any extras of any of the parts I used on mine).

But yes, I've considered selling mine to do just what you mentioned--to help offset the cost of materials and figures and to help me do more (mostly for my own collection).

3. formula93

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think I'm more apt to let go of mine (and they really don't go for that much) because I'm just starting out on this whole customization thing, and I'm only painting them. I'm not to the level of physically changing the toys yet. I think if I had that kind of involvement in the figure, I'd have to think long and hard about selling it.

4. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    hey im already doing more than paint, and im not selling

5. AdamWojcieszak

AdamWojcieszak Well-Known Member

I think figure customizing and true Customizing are two different catagories, but both important to each artist. When I think of a true custom, I think of something like I am doing, with a sculpt, making the molds, and then running a few copies to give to a few friends if they help off-set my costs for um, shipping and reference materials LoL

I dont know, I see both sides of the fence on this one...

A

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Teechnicaly, I've never sold any of the few customs I've made, ranging from the simple adding paint details to full-on overhauls into new characters. I've traded some detail jobs and a full-blown overhaul, but that was for two HO model trains and a beat-Up Energon Prime (the latter being turned into Energon Nemesis Prime).

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I've done several commissions, but really I don't like doing them that much, for the simple fact that I hate letting one go. I don't just put work into one, I put my heart into it. I've twice now made something for someone that I didn't even have for myself. Granted, they weren't on my "list" but after having made them, I would sit and stare and wish I had one. *L* I make my customs for the fun of making them, but also to "fill holes" in my collection with toys I'm confident that we won't ever be getting officially. I've been wrong on a few counts, but only a few (cybertron Dirge, Cybertron Alpha Trion, LOC Sunstorm, LOC Thrust, Classics Acid Storm, and probably Classics Jazz next year or so)

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To echo Redline's post, i usually don't part with them unless I am really in a bind, or I just come up with an improvement over the original.

9. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I've got to agree with hXcpunk23 & Redline.
    Outside of 2 Customs (BW Ani Dinobot MK2 & BW Ani Megs). I own every customs I have made.
    I still think about selling the odd custom here & there, but once I'm done I just can't let them go.
    TFA Sari was a good expample of that. I was going to sell her once done, but after finishing her. I just can't.
    I have a fair number of customs from other Radicons in my collection & will always want to add more.
    I'm thankful that not all Radicons are like me in that regaurd.
    Long & the short of it. At the end of the day, I bash for me.

10. AdamWojcieszak

AdamWojcieszak Well-Known Member

See, that's why I like to sculpt and make my own molds LoL... I'll give a bunch away, but then if I know I WANT ONE, I have the molds to go and make me one.

11. formula93

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like I said, once I (presumably) get to the point where my stuff is up to par with the rest of you guys, I'll be way more hesitant towards letting them go. But for now, these are practice, and the funds go towards me getting better. However, I did go back and forth on the two I sold, but I needed the extra money to start more projects.

12. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    i sold some of my customs to buy me an airbrush set and premium paints. that way i can make better versions of my previous customs.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've never sold any of my customs. And I don't plan on it. I'm mainly in this hobby for myself. If my main motivation was money (not that there's anything wrong with that), I would probably dedicate more of my time to G1 combiners and ROTF repaints since those are the big sellers right now. But I enjoy creating Gobots and the more obscure characters from the TF universe instead.

I am currently working on my first commission (the Omnibots for destrongerlupus). I doubt I'll ever get into this full-time as I already have a main source of income, but I may use my skills to help fund the hobby as well as having an extra bit of money in my pocket.

14. formula93

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here. I do it for fun, and the money gets poured back into the hobby. I work as a graphic designer, so maybe I'm just more accustomed to seeing things I've created get sold to the highest bidder day in and day out. It used to bother me, but not really any more.

15. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

I've got several customs that I'm thinking of selling, mainly because I'm happier with the more recent ones I've done. For example, I did a Powerglide out of animated lugnut (thanks to Jin S's example!), but then decided to repaint lugnut in military colours with a led light in his head.
    Now I like the new one more than the first custom, so I figure, sell it to make more space for my next project!
    (Though I hate putting stuff on ebay and being terrified to see it go for next to nothing, especially if it took hours and hours to do!)

16. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i dont do that much customization, so i keep mine

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I sell some of mine from time to time to make room for some new figures. I keep the ones I am proud of. Lately, I've actually been customizing less figures and keeping them original like my classics/universe. But I will paint my movie figures. Those are the ones I usually sell.

18. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a question for those of you who do commisions...
    I have been asked a couple times to build my version of mixmaster for some people here on the boards...but I have NO idea how to price something like that.
    Any tips on pricing commisions?

On subject. I have done quite a few repaints...and only 1 full bashed custom. which I have to sell to help cover some family expenses.
    I would not sell my customs unless I had to.
    My shelves have some cool things on them....I would have to have some kind of replacement in hand to fill the empty shelf space.
    Though I am kicking the idea around of making some other versions of what I have done to sell.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Short answer: I create the customs for myself; I post them in Radicons to share them with everyone. :) 

Filling commissions or the whole ebay auction clique isn't my thing, per se. In terms of fueling my artwork and such, expanding my collection's universe is what keeps me coming back. Much of my custom work is just as much conceptual as it is physical (actually, probably more the former versus the latter). To some extent, I aim to create models so I'll have them around when I want to illustrated them on a 2-D plane :)  Also, I mostly have a set list of things I'm wanting to do, so continually knocking things off that list is a motivator as well :) 

20. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

same here. i only do customs for myself.

sometimes i think about when hasbro/takara would run after those who sell on ebay. i remember awhile back when hasbro made an official statement regarding the use of copyrighted names on customs then selling it on ebay.