Selling off your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

In the sale and trade forum, I noticed quite a few people here selling off their collections. Now, some of you are selling them for valid reasons, such as needing the extra money, space, and helping prepare for a family, etc.

But I also notice that some are selling because their wives and girlfriends are making them. This is a little disheartening, because I know not everyone wants to give up their collection, but are put in uncompromising situations where they have to.

So is this something you know you'll end up doing? How many of you have been forced by significant others and parents to give it all away?

I know we'll outgrow them eventually, but I'm talking about when you're still into collecting Transformers and action figures in general.

This isn't a personal attack on anyone here, btw

If you need the money, extra space, or have outgrown it, then I tip my hat. But I do find it annoying that a SO is making it happen out of spite.

2. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I know it will be a day when my prime collection will be gone but i think the main reason will be moving on... my family and girlfriend hates it when I spend a few thousands on a platic toy so maybe it will be because of them I sell of my collection.

PS I think there is a curse for prime collectors, Every prime collector I know sold off their collection....

3. Seaspray

Seaspray TFW2005 Supporter

If your SO is forcing you to sell something that means a lot to you, I'd say its time to take a long hard look at that relationship. My wife may mock me a bit about my collection but as long as it isn't a financial burden (and stays in the garage) she would never ask me to get rid of it (She's even added to it on occasion)

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Part of entering a relationship is give and take. youa re not two independent forces cohabitating under a roof. your sole function for a relationship is to come together, get your affairs in order and provide a stable existence for offspring. Pretty much for 18 years after having a kid, your only function in life is to provide for them and give them a better life.

Transformers collections cause potential mates to feel the following:
    *The person has an unhealthy collecting compulsion.
    *The person has a poor ability to manage money.
    *The person makes poor choices on priorities.

So ne of the biggest things they can do to see if you are going to make the sacrifice is sacrifice your Transformers.

Honestly, if you have 10k of transformers in your den and rent your house, your priorities may be out of whack. If you can spend 200$ a month of transformers but can't afford to wear clean and new clothes that are not visibly worn, you might present a concern to a wife/girlfriend. If your car is always in for repairs and breaks down all the time but you can go to Botcon, she might have a point. And finally, If the slightest bump in the road forces you to sell of portions of your collection due to a lack of savings or preparation for the future, then again... priorities.

Honestly the best thing you can do if you are honestly looking to enter into a real relationship is discuss the "hobby" and place clear boundaries upfront and stick to them. Things like building wealth and stability, savings, retirement, college, reliable transportation, stable jobs *ALL* come before hobbies. And when someone is putting hobbies before those things, there is a reason hy the mate is looking to 'destroy' the hobby. And she is not evil or a crazy unreasonable bitch because of it.

If you owned over 50% of your house, had a year of salary in the bank, a paid off car, no student loans and a good retirement account... I can guess most women would not complain about your Transformers collection.

5. Omega77

Omega77 Crystal City

I will very likely be selling my little collection soon, but it is not because the little lady wants me to. In fact, she seems just as torn about selling it as I am. She knows how much I enjoy them and the money put into them in the first place. Lack of funding is the motive here, not a nagging SO.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Great post nkelsch

7. ultraconvoy

ultraconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    thats me :( 

8. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I know sometimes I don't set the right priorities. So I traded in most of my Star Wars toys to buy some Transformers I wanted. I think my wife likes it better when that happens.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I wouldn't sell anything of mine, Transformers or otherwise for a SO. I own my own house and car, I don't eat drink and breathe Transformers, I pay my bills early, I'm never behind on payments and god forbid if it ever came to choosing between buying a TF and paying bills I know where the priorities are (the bills, silly). Anyone who understands that shouldn't have a problem with ANY hobby.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    THe G1 collection will probbaly never go away but you can never know. TF is a part of me I need it to be whole. I however know that there are other things in life and money and I save money and bbuy other stuff aswell likte cloths, food, games, stuff for the gf, go to restaurant, do stuff with friends and so on. I would never let the collecting go overhand. I have been thinking about trimming it down by selling of BTs, and a bunch of other stuff. I have also been very selectiv with the bigger pieces from other lines like SW, LOTR etc etc.

11. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

Wife will quip sometimes when I buy one at the wrong time but she doesn't want me to get rid of them. She understands its my biggest hobby and least I aint out at the bar womanizing.

Plus she got me the MP/20th anniversary Prime for my birthday when we first got together, I love her so much.

12. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

My fiance can't really complain since my last four TF purchases were for her (at least that was my excuse).

13. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    Psht, If my girlfriend told me to get rid of all my tfs. Id tell her to hit the road.

14. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree 100%

My wife actually said "NO!!" the first couple of times I told her I was gonna sell my Alt Collection....:lol 

But I am one of those people that fall into your other category Satomiblood....I just felt that it was time to move on....

I will still collect some stuff....but I wont be as anal as I was with ANY TF line as I was with the Alternator line.

15. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    nkelsch put it best. I just wanted to chime in. My ex got me to start selling my collection (woopdi do... i've sold a big 4.)

but she felt awful about it, and i told her she didn't "make" me. She inspired me to free myself from my completist nature, which honestly was holding me back.

Best conversation about TFs i've had with her. Now I really like the ones I purchase, don't feel the need to purchase ones only to complete a collection, and feel free to start selling ones i don't want!

A good mate understands what gives you joy. She/he also helps you avoid that becoming an obsession, even if you're too blind to see it sometimes.

16. masterjetfire

masterjetfire Well-Known Member

Well your girl friend should like you for who you are, they dont need to force you to do things that you love, maybe shes just using you for money.

Sorry if this offends any one

17. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:
    F*CK them, if they want to talk about your TF's being a "problem" let's start the talk about 50 thousand purses/handbags, the hundreds of pairs of useless shoes, etc....
    Man have i ended so many conversations about my stuff with that line....

It comes down to what you get is your stuff....women collect their "stuff" each sex has it's own view on what is "waste of money" along with what is considered "good expendatures" or a "investment"...etc....etc

18. masterjetfire

masterjetfire Well-Known Member

exactly

19. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

As in any conversation regarding compromise in relationships, there's a clear distinction between posters with experience in the matter and otherwise.

Nkelsch, you speak the truth that can only come with wisdom and a solid relationship, with perhaps a sprinkling of great perception. I am of like mind, but it somtimes takes reading what another typed to realize the errors of one's ways. It would serve many well to read such wisdom without light-hearted abandon.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm selling cause I need a car. I'm not updating my thread anymore though. I'm just gonna take it all to Botcon and sell it there.