Selling most of my collection - need advice

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by onaka pekopeko, Dec 12, 2006.

1. onaka pekopeko

onaka pekopeko Devouring the universe!

Hey guys,

I've been an avid collector of TFs since just before the dawn of Beast Wars, and since that time I've amassed a huge number of them.

But over the past year there have been a lot of changes in my life, and TFs just don't give me the joy that they once did. So I've decided to sell off most if not all of my collection.

But now my question is, just which is the best way to do it? Right now they are all mixed up in various boxes, and I have a lot of the original packaging kept separately. So it will take time to sort through everything and figure out which parts go with with toy.

So my questions are:

1. Should I sell items and pieces as I find them, or should I try to get all the toys complete in box (or as complete as possible) before selling?

2. Should I sell them on eBay? Or, since I live in the Toronto, would it be better to wait until TransformersCon and get a dealer table there?

I'm not looking to make a million dollars here. If I can even get back a small fraction of the money I paid for these guys, I'd be dancing in the streets.

Anyway, I realize there are no absolute right answers here but any advice is tremendously appreciated.

Thanks

Jonathan (onakapekopeko)

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I would say do it as you can (little by little). More than likely you'll be able to sell the pieces for more than the whole. Someone is always looking for an Optimus Prime fist, a sword, blaster or whatever.

Now the stuff you have MISB or the original box and complete, wait till you find all that stuff. MISB = sells quick for the right price.

3. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

You should try to go through your collection and catalogue everything you have. Record them on a spreadsheet, then figure out if you want to sell them individually or as a lot. You won't get much if you sell them as lot but selling them by themselves take more time and effort (to ship). If you want to sell them individually but don't want to go through the hassles of Ebay then pick a TF convention and sell them there. Remember to find out the market price for each and you won't get ripped off. You can also sell them here in the junkion exchange. Good luck.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    big items should be sold by themselves, smaller ones can be in small lots or individual....as far as breaking up parts, id say if you have a complete g1 prime, keep him together, i think youd get more, and unless you know a toy is broken, id say thats probably the best way to do it....

5. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

If you decide to sell on Ebay, you would generally make more if you sell individual complete figures.

If you sell it in a lot, you'll get rid of it faster but possibly not at the price you could've gotten.

If it was me, I would do it slowly, one figure at a time and as complete as I can find all the pieces.

6. onaka pekopeko

onaka pekopeko Devouring the universe!

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it a lot!

Since most of my guys are complete, I guess i have a lot of work to do trying to sort them all out and get them all together.

7. DESTRUCTICON

DESTRUCTICON Banned

Ebay:
    I just went through this year and started selling my TFs and other toys off. The problem with my selling them is I still enjoy TFs A great deal & didn't want to but I had no where to keep all of them in volume. So I sold on ebay. Thats the best way to get what you deserve. I made easily more money back then I paid for them BUT then again I kept ALL boxes and cards with bubbles still attached and they all were complete. I still have quite a bit of them and Im going to list them off here.

The problem with ebay is it costs money to sell them. So you have to know what you are doing, what they're worth, and how many are on ebay at the time. The market price is always changing therefore you have to constantly keep up with the flow. For example, if your selling a Optimus Prime G1 then there could be lots on ebay but generally they still "ALL" sell. Expecially if its complete or close and/or is in good shape. But if you have a TF that only sells about 30% of the time, then wait till theres not to many on & list it as a fixed price. Or buy it now is another name for it.. You can do this by going to completed listings on ebay once your a member. Its a bitch and takes alot of time, but its worth it to get the right price.

Now if you have a rare item, something no one else has, then auction it off instead of listing it as a buy it now. Its always a gamble on ebay. If your the kind of person that doesn't like to take risks and has the starting bid the minimum price you will sell it for, then it can cost you quite a bit to list stuff. Now if have confidence that your items will bid high and start your price at .01 cents, you can make alot of money that way. You can also loose. They say if your item has alot of bids on it, it will look more appealing to the buyer and therefore, get more bids on it and sell for a higher price then if you start it at your "minimum' price take.

Anyways, these are some more pointers to look at. Id think about HOW you are going to sell them first instead of jumping right in and getting "quick cash" But thats me. I think if you put the time into selling them, you will happy with the mooney you get AND that you did take the time. Let me know how you did if you dont mind -mega