Selling Domain Names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darth Trader, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Darth Trader

Darth Trader Well-Known Member

Do any of you have any experience with domain sales? I own a bunch of Transformers domains that I thought I may have time to create sites for, but, I really don't. I've done a lot of research and looked at sedo, namedrive, etc's auctions, but, there doesn't seem to be a "sold" search, so I have no idea how successful their auctions really are.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have based on your personal experiences.

Thank yoU!

2. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How long do you have them for?

3. Darth Trader

1 Year, currently.

I really wanted to develop a dedicated Transformers buy, sell & trade website. But, I've found that I do not have enough time at the moment, or the proper web design skills to properly execute the idea.

4. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

I'm planning to get a domain myself. How'd you get all those domains? You bought those from another website or something?

5. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hoping that the MMO will want to buy one of the names off him I would think. Internet squatting or something is the name of that type of behavior (kiinda like when people get paid by famous people with the same name to release their twitter handle).

6. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Might want to try the sales thread.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I agree, this seems really squatty, an effort to cash in. Why would you need a handful of domains to open ONE site? Not to mention not having any website design skills.

That's the risk you take when you squat. You likely have a handful of worthless sites there.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  8. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, squatting on a domain name to sell it for profit is illegal in the US. If you are squatting on a domain like that, the only way you can get rid of it is either a) sell it for cost you spent on it, b) give it away for free or c) let it expire.

9. Darth Trader

I was unaware of the law. Thank you for clarifying. I will either let them expire or sell for what I paid for them then.

As I said, my main goal was to develop one of them, most likely the TransformersXchange.com, and have the other TF exchange names direct to that site also. My intention never was nor is to try and sell it to Hasbro or anybody else for a crazy profit.

I just got in a bit over my head and assumed that developing a site would be a bit easier or less time consuming than it actually is.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle! (lol)

10. Darth Trader

I just purchased them from godaddy. A domain name is only $9.00, so It's not a big expense.

11. Fishdirt

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems pretty crappy considering capitalism and all. The name owner always has the option of saying no.