Selling a Computer

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Tigertrack, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

NO, this is not a for sale thread. I just have some questions for you guy's. I have this five year old Sony Vaio PCV-RZ26G computer.
    It's got a Intel Pentium 4 processor, 3.06GHZ
    160 GB 7200 RPM hard drive
    1 GB RAM upgraded to 2 GB
    It has DVD RW drive, plus DVD player/reader
    Memory Stick media slot
    two i.Link digital interfaces
    six USB ports
    Invidia Geforced MX440 graphics chip w/64 MB VRAM
    it's got quite a bit of inputs and outputs.

When it was brand spanking new, it was a hot and fast computer. Ran on Windows XP, but we upgraded it to Vista which was a mistake cause Vista eats a lot of memory. Needs to be downgraded back to XP or even upgraded further to Windows 7

Now the bad side of it. It's audio drivers failed on me a while back and I've had to use an external audio driver in order to hear my audio. With Vista, video play back was choppy and sometimes the audio would lag behind.
    I've lost the restore discs, but as stated it should be upgraded to 7 anyway.

I'm trying to sell a bunch of my Dads old lap top computers in hopes to get a new MacBook Pro. I'm wondering what this computer of mine is worth today.
    I was hoping to get $600 for it if everything was complete, but it's not. It will come with keyboard, mouse, and a flat-screen monitor. I've posted pictures of it if anybody is interested in seeing it.

I'd thought I would ask in this forum instead of trying to put it up for sale first. I'd be happy to get $200 for it which my Dad think's its worth.

It might be a good computer for a computer geek to work on, and modify to their liking.
    One of those things, when it works, it works great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The blank spot that you see in the back was just a cover. It's an empty slot in case you want to add something to it.

Again, this is not a for sale thread, just asking some questions. What do you think of it, and what do you think it's worth? However, if anybody is interested in it, please feel free to PM me. Like I said, it will come with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I highly recommend upgrading it to Windows 7.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

You might get $200.00 but a Computers normal life span is 3 to 5 years. The Mother Boards processor chip life is reaching its end. Have you made a restore disc yet through Windows Vista? You are allowed to make 1 Restore Disc Backup with the OS.

EDIT : I just noticed the 3.5 Disc Drive. I haven't seen one of those for at least 8 years. R U sure its only 5 Years old? They don't have those types of Discs any longer. Hmm...I did some research and this CPU was released in March of 2003. You can check this link out. There is a graph that shows you where the computer stands today. - http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Sony+PCV-RZ26G&rt=oa&modelid=751331

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I work for a computer company and to be honest we toss out machines better than this, you can buy a new prebuilt pc in a box for less than $600. Your board and processor are most likely a socket 478 which is very very old now and have not been made in some time. You would be lucky to sell it for $200 if the screen is decent.

NCIX.com - Buy NCIXPC Entra Q630 System AMD X4 630 Quad Core 4GB 500GB Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT PRE-INSTALLED - Entre-Q620 In Canada.

Far far superior machine than your and cheaper price, I know it has no monitor but still you could pick a monitor up cheap.

Do you mean your selling the tower and all of the old laptops for $600?

If you want Ill check my old parts bins and see if I have any spare parts that you can have to make it a bit better, just pay shipping and you can have em.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'd keep it, try and make a media box out of it.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    you know whats sad , that PC not counting the bad sound drivers is better than mine and its about 5 years old now :lol 

6. Tigertrack

Thank's guys. I only estimated it's age. I might have got it at the turn of the century, '99.
    It kept giving me problems and it seemed like every month my Dad had to spend hours fixing it. I think the biggest mistake was upgrading to Vista as Vista didn't have any drivers for it. Pus, Sony doesn't support these products anymore and we now try to avoid purchasing Sony products.
    I am sooooooooo happy I replaced this thing with my Imac a year ago May 6th. It was the greatest Birthday gift my Dad ever got me. I haven't had 1 issue with my Mac yet! I simply love it and won't give it up for anything. I just want one that I can take with me on trips! :D 
    As for the other computers, no we're "hoping" to get more than $600 for all them. I've mentioned before I'm aiming for a 500GB Macbook Pro and it's around 2500 price range. So far, we've sold two computers at $200 each.
    My other thought was to trade this tower for some TF's. But I think my Dad would rather I sell it for the laptop I want.
    I'm still debating between Ipad and Macbook. Right now, the Ipad just doesn't have a big enough hard drive for my movies.
    I'm not sure what to do with this tower at this point. Suggestions please?

7. Tigertrack

How would I do that?

8. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    To be honest- I just tossed a computer with specs similar to this one. I've actually been using it as a media box for about two years now. No, you did not get this box in '99. The Pentium 4 only came out in 2000. More likely than not, you have a Northwood 3.06 that was similar to the soon after Pentium 4 HT line, which would make the chip manufacture '02-'03.

What's typically involved in making a multimedia PC is hooking it up to a television. This is really only if you have need and desire. I am currently using a $200 Nettop in this role. It has an SD port, eSata, HDMI, 4 USB 2.0 ports. Processor speed isn't all that important these days, you want lots of RAM.

I'm not sure if you, or anyone else in this thread follows it, but woot.com yesterday had an HP PC for $500. It had 7 gb of ram, 1 tb harddrive. Woot : HP Pavilion Dual Core Desktop with 7GB RAM and 1TB Hard Drive. What you have here is an extremely hard sell. I would recommend that you try to sell to an elderly neighbor, for $100, but then you're going to end up being their tech support until they get rid of it. I would say that my work gets rid of computers better than this, but they don't. Our stores are running Dell GX-1's, still. Sigh...