Selling a box of comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by igniz1984, Sep 27, 2012.

1. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I stopped reading comics about a year or two ago, and I have one large box I am thinking of parting with. It's mostly current stuff, I would say from the last 3-4 years. There's a few complete runs in there like all hail megatron, blackest night, old man logan, new ways to die, a ton of TF spotlights, and a few others I can't recall. I was considering just hauling the whole box to my closest comic shop and see what they would offer me. Since I don't have the patience for ebay, anyone here done this before? someone mentioned to me before, that there not worth the paper there printed on, so am just wondering what to expect or if it's even worth it. Thanks!

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Do you know exactly what's in it? Like, could you provide a list if asked?

A lot of comic stores don't really do the back issue thing these days, especially the smaller ones. The ones that do, are probably going to have to sit on it for a long time and sell it for like a buck an issue, so you're going to get even less, given it's relatively recent.

If you're looking to recoup your costs, craigslist or even selling in your BST thread here might be a better way.

Another alternative would be to donate it to a local hospital or clinic, to a dentists office, or some other place where kids could read them.

3. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did notice a lot of shops now no longer have the bigger back issue inventories like they used to. I'd have to go through it, but I could provide a list. Those where just the complete runs I could recall of the top of my head. I figured if I got 20-30 bucks for it, I would do it or even better I'd trade it for some figures. I may donate some of the incomplete, single, or one-off issues like you mentioned.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    If you've got rare variant covers and such, you might be able to get them to take entire sets off your hands in the bargain, but yeah, back issues are tough to move these days, esp. when from recent history.

5. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Where in the Bay Area are you? I'd be willing to offer store credit for it...

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd take up the offer for store credit. Maybe get some nice hardcovers or something. You're going to have a hard time finding a store that will want to buy comics off of you. Especially new stuff. I've seen some shops offer 5 cents a comic. And more recently, I've seen a couple stores that used to offer 5 cents a comic stop taking them at all.

7. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Why 5 cents? Is that the wholesale cost of comics?

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    5 cents because they're not worth anything and the shop will have a hard time selling them regardless of price, and so will end up sitting on most -- if not all -- of them for years.

New comic sales are down and back issue comic sales are WAY down. Very few things newer than Bronze Age books are retaining their value, much less increasing in value.

Honestly, I think the 5 cents thing is because they don't actually want to take the books at all, so they offer a price so low they hope you'll be insulted by it and keep the books.

9. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

When I got rid of my collection of about 5000 comics, the store game me different amounts depending on the decade the comics came from. A dime was the lowest amount if I remember correctly.