Sell me on/sway me from the iPad.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Poho, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If money if no issue for you as you do your Honours thesis, then why not go for the iPad2?

When I was doing my Honours degree, a tablet like a iPad would have come in real handy.

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Can't justify spending that much money on something I don't need; and also I really don't need the cameras and whatnot. I'd be paying extra for things that are unnecessary for my purposes of buying one

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I've been a die-hard Mac user for over 20 years. I'm a fan of all things technology related. I spend hours a day on the internet.

But I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars on something that wouldn't let me do anything I'm not already doing. I say pass.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    The iPad 3 has USB ports apparently, so if you can wait, get that one as it'll be easier for work. If time is an issue, don't bother.

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, normally I'd be against Apple anything, but since I was given an iPhone as a gift, I see now how handy they can be. I still won't go near a Mac, I think they're ridiculously overpriced, but iPad/Phone? Definitely some positives.

On the plus side:

Portable without effort. (Big deal!)
    Holds a charge quite well. (Can be charged in the car without a ridiculous adapter or convertor.)
    Movies and gaming are pretty much effortless.

On the other hand:

No flash. (Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is.)
    Multitasking is limited.
    You need a lot of high priced accessories to make it work with TVs and so on.
    The price. (Depending on Wi-Fi or 3G or both, expensive.)

Laptops:

Plus side:

Powerful. (Acer has a quad core at Wal-Mart for $498.00)
    Full HD displays on some.
    Powerful graphics on some. (APUs are nice.)
    Flash.
    Runs more than just apps and simple games.
    Generally better priced than Apple.
    Can run 3G.

On the other hand:

Battery dies out faster and is costly to replace.
    Becomes obsolete so fast your head will spin.
    Heavy. (Usually 5-7 pounds, depending on the size of the screen.)

To be honest, your best option is to go try out a store display of both a laptop and an iPad. See which one feels better for your needs. I can't deny that the simplicity and portability of a tablet is quite a draw. I prefer more power, so I'm leaning more towards the laptop option.

For me, if it were possible, I'd have a desktop at home for heavy work, a high powered tablet for travel, and just go about my day.

6. Poho

News Credits:
    Wound up getting an iPad 2 16Gb with no 3G; it was the cheapest thing they had at the store. Got some sweet protective gear so that if I choose to sell it after school it will be in pristine condition. Thanks for the input folks it was very helpful

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I just want to point out that this isn't completely true when it comes to the ipad. You can actually get an app called iswifter (which was free at the time I bought it, but I don't know if that has changed since) which runs flash.

The browser interface is a bit clunky but overall it works alright. It's also routinely updated.

8. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Haha, looks like this wasn't a thread for us android guys:p , lol.

9. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

In my opinion, the iPad will assist you in neither of these. Unless you install word, which costs money, which I know you have. Paper writing really is not "enhanced" much by it, nor is research. Browsing the web is just the same except on a touchscreen.

A laptop is a much better investment. At this point I don't see the rage of tablets, especially when they are still being developed and have no true advantages over laptops as of right now. In a few years, when they surpass or meet the abilities of a laptop, I would recommend one. But not now.

EDIT: Well shit. Guess I was too late to join the party.

10. Poho

News Credits:
    Already have a MacBook, iPad is for PDF documents so I don't have to keep switching in and out of different windows etc.

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oooh. Would that work for the iPhone? That would be fantastic if it would.

12. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I have had one for right at exactly one year and I will unequivocally say that it is the single best purchase I have ever made. I use it every day, most of the day. It is great for trips as I have music, movies, games, internet and books all in one place. The screen size is ideal in my opinion and the battery easily lasts all days or a few days if need be.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

EDIT: Ok, well after backing up a bit I see that you bought one. Very nice.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're both awesome systems. I just think tablets are pretty fucking sweet in general. I didn't used to think they were until I tried one. I might pick up a Sony S1 this year if its integration with PS3 is as cool as they say. And that one is Android based.

Wow, thanks for this. I didn't even know it existed. It's the best one I've seen!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011